No announcement yet.

Heatit Underfloor Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news that you have fixed setpoint issue.. I have aprox 15 of these thermostats A new sw from the vendor will add feature to read powerconsumption as well.

Comment

Temperature Rising

Hi Guys I have the HeatIt Thermostat from Vesternet.
      I have a AeonGen5 ZStick and HS3 and add devices via HS3.
      I am using the latest Z-Wave Plugin.

I have no problems with SetPoint but my temperatures do not correspond correctly.

So My Heatit says 25.1C (its setpoints 11 and 6)
      In HS3 temperature says 27.2C
      and I get the following in the night time with no heating??

I have set the unit to read the FLOOR sensor 'F' only - any ideas what is going on? Thanks

Jul-08 22:23:47 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 27.2 (C)
      Jul-08 22:10:45 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 27.1 (C)
      Jul-08 21:57:46 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 27 (C)
      Jul-08 21:49:07 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 26.9 (C)
      Jul-08 21:44:48 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 26.8 (C)
      Jul-08 21:40:28 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 26.7 (C)
      Jul-08 21:36:08 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 26.6 (C)
      Jul-08 21:31:49 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 26.5 (C)
      Jul-08 21:27:29 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 26.4 (C)

Comment

Originally posted by smokeycoles View Post
        Hi Guys I have the HeatIt Thermostat from Vesternet.
        I have a AeonGen5 ZStick and HS3 and add devices via HS3.
        I am using the latest Z-Wave Plugin.

I have no problems with SetPoint but my temperatures do not correspond correctly.

So My Heatit says 25.1C (its setpoints 11 and 6)
        In HS3 temperature says 27.2C
        and I get the following in the night time with no heating??

I have set the unit to read the FLOOR sensor 'F' only - any ideas what is going on? Thanks

Jul-08 22:23:47 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 27.2 (C)
        Jul-08 22:10:45 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 27.1 (C)
        Jul-08 21:57:46 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 27 (C)
        Jul-08 21:49:07 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 26.9 (C)
        Jul-08 21:44:48 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 26.8 (C)
        Jul-08 21:40:28 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 26.7 (C)
        Jul-08 21:36:08 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 26.6 (C)
        Jul-08 21:31:49 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 26.5 (C)
        Jul-08 21:27:29 Z-Wave Device: Ensuite Z-Wave HeatIt Temperature Set to 26.4 (C)
        I have 2 of those units set up the same way with floor sensor only and they are working fine in all respects. My heat it displays are perfectly in sync with HS3.

The log entries you see are the floor temp values updating. I have these all the time as the temperature fluctuates even if the heating is off.

Jul-08 07:09:18 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.3 (C)
        Jul-08 06:03:23 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.2 (C)
        Jul-08 05:41:21 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.3 (C)
        Jul-08 05:36:57 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.2 (C)
        Jul-08 03:55:52 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.3 (C)
        Jul-08 03:51:27 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.4 (C)
        Jul-08 03:42:39 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.3 (C)
        Jul-08 03:33:50 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.4 (C)
        Jul-08 03:29:26 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.3 (C)
        Jul-08 03:25:02 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.4 (C)
        Jul-08 03:16:13 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.3 (C)
        Jul-08 03:11:53 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.4 (C)
        Jul-08 03:07:29 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.3 (C)
        Jul-08 01:57:05 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.4 (C)
        Jul-08 01:52:41 Z-Wave Device: ZW-Appliance Bathroom Bathroom UFH (Floor Temp) Set to 22.5 (C)

Can't understand why the displayed value is different to that being sent to HS though.

One other little frustration with these devices in HS3 is that IMO there should be another child device for relay status. Currently the relay status is updated within the root device.

Paul..

Comment

Another thought...

Have you checked the actual floor temperature against both the HS and display values to see if either is correct?

I know you can calibrate the displayed temp against the actual floor temp but not sure if it sends the displayed (calibrated) value to HS or the (pre calibrated value).

So in summary: Is it possible that the floor temp is actually 27.2 and not 25.1?

Paul..

Comment

How do you tell if the Heatit is on or off??

Does anyone know if there is a way to determine if one of these Thermostats has actually just switched on or off? The mode setting stays as 'Heat' and does not change whilst the controller is switching on or off as it adjusts to the floor temperature.

The problem I have is that I have 3 (6 amp mats) originally connected to a Warmup thermostat, but only discovered that most controllers cannot run more than 16 Amps, after my floor had been installed. This meant that I had an overload error when the mats were first connected which meant having to wire in a second controller in close proximity to the 1st one. Unfortunately there was no way to add a floor heat sensor to the 2nd controller.

This was fine for the Warmup 'dumb' controller because the first controller can trigger an on relay signal (via a wired connection) to the second controller so that they stay in sync.

My plan was to change the Warmup 'dumb' controllers to Heatit Z-Wave controllers but there doesn't appear to be a simple way for one controller to switch on the 2nd, based on whether it just switched on or not.

This would seem like a major flaw in the design? Warmup included the relay trigger for obvious reasons.
            You would assume that the Heatit controller would report whether it was heating i.e. On or off surely??? Not just its current mode.

Comment

Unfortunately no. It doesn't report this. The "mode" is whether it set to Off, energy-save heat or heat, i.e. off or use one of two set points, tells you nothing about whether it is heating or not.

It does report the current temperature, so you could work out if this is less than the setpoint, BUT it doesn't report the floor temperature, so if it clicked off to protect your floor, you would have no way of knowing that.

I've been looking for something similar. The Heat-its aren't very good and I have Nests in other rooms. If I could read the floor temp and air temp in the room I could use an Aeon-labs 45A switch to control the UFH, but so far nothing reports the floor temperature. Hoping that now Nest is expanding across Europe they'll manage UFH in order to hit the French market.

Comment

It does report the current temperature, so you could work out if this is less than the setpoint, BUT it doesn't report the floor temperature, so if it clicked off to protect your floor, you would have no way of knowing that.

If I could read the floor temp and air temp in the room I could use an Aeon-labs 45A switch to control the UFH, but so far nothing reports the floor temperature

Hi Mack1979, figured as much but I'm not clear on what you're saying above.

The Temperature value (arrowed) seems to be updated in real time and as I'm not using the air temperature setting, my assumption was that this was the current floor temperature. If not, then what temperature is it? I don't think that its particularly useful anyway because the heating doesn't necessarily switch off as soon as the Heating Setpoint is reached. I really need to know when its relay switches on and off.

I had also thought about using the 'Aeon-labs 45A switch' its just a bit obtrusive and you also need to have the cover off to gain local control as the on/off button is inexplicably, concealed.

I am not sure about this but, if the floor sensors happened to be just encapsulated\sealed DS18B20 temperature sensors, then you could use a Fibaro Universal Sensor (FUS) to pick up the temp in real time.
                I have four sensors and one FUS hooked up to my Megaflow hot water tank and it works perfectly.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by reggs11 View Post
                  I am not sure about this but, if the floor sensors happened to be just encapsulated\sealed DS18B20 temperature sensors, then you could use a Fibaro Universal Sensor (FUS) to pick up the temp in real time.
                  I have four sensors and one FUS hooked up to my Megaflow hot water tank and it works perfectly.
                  Actually thinking about it, they can't be DS18B20 temperature sensors, as they are three wire sensors and the floor ones are 2 wire

Comment

Interesting. I am using air and floor sensor, and it seems to tie up with the air temperature. When set to floor temp only does it only show the floor temp on the screen? You should be able to see if it is in-sync.

The 45A switch wouldn't need to be visible (guess it depends on your setup). It is meant as a 45A cut-off, which is why I think the switch is inside. You definitely cannot have the case open, beyond pairing it, as it would be fully open up to 45A connection fully-accessible for fingers.

I am interested to know if it is the floor temp, as I could keep the thermostat wired in to power it and just read the floor temperature. I could then use a 45A switch and a nice-looking, more reliable air temperature sensor in the room. The Heat-it is not as nice in the flesh as it looks in pics, and the buttons are barely usable.

Notice you also have the power usage showing. Must be a newer firmware as mine doesn't show that (unless this is new to HS3 and I need to re-scan).

Comment

There is (or was when I added mine) a problem with these devices in HS3.

If you watch the root device you will see that its DeviceValue is actually updated with the relay state and the Last Change time will also be updated although the status text never changes. There really should be another child device representing the relay state.

I reported this to Rich ages ago but I expect there were more pressing matters at the time.

As a workaround I was using an event + script to update a virtual device whenever the root device changes state. Thinking about I now, I suppose you could add some VS/VG pairs to the root device and that should work.

To get over the load limit, one of my HeatIt units is switching a solid state contactor / relay.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post

If you watch the root device you will see that its DeviceValue is actually updated with the relay state and the Last Change time will also be updated although the status text never changes. There really should be another child device representing the relay state.

I reported this to Rich ages ago but I expect there were more pressing matters at the time.

As a workaround I was using an event + script to update a virtual device whenever the root device changes state. Thinking about I now, I suppose you could add some VS/VG pairs to the root device and that should work.

To get over the load limit, one of my HeatIt units is switching a solid state contactor / relay.

Paul..
                        Hi Paul - Thats some really great info.

I will check that out.

I'd considered a Contactor as well. Would you happen to know what 'solid state contactor / relay' model you're using? The Warmup FAQ does say that it is possible to use a Contactor to switch more than 16 Amps but I was unsure what type to use. In your setup, is this wired in to the fuse box or locally to the Heatit? I'm just wondering how best one would go about retrofitting one in to my setup but don't know that much about them.

FYI Unfortunately, I made the fatal mistake of wiring one floor sensor in series with both of my Heatit thermostats (as a test) and this managed to fry both units. One is now completely dead and the other one just displays a flashing 1.8 and is unresponsive to local or Z-Wave control. I have no idea how this could have managed to fry both Thermostats but as you can imagine, a fairly costly experiment and I'm now back to using two Warmup thermostats until a couple of replacements arrive

BTW Mack1979, before the aforementioned 'fry-up' my 'power usage' device never appeared to change from zero, which is extremely annoying.

- John

Comment

Hi Paul - Thats some really great info.

I will check that out.

I'd considered a Contactor as well. Would you happen to know what 'solid state contactor / relay' model you're using? The Warmup FAQ does say that it is possible to use a Contactor to switch more than 16 Amps but I was unsure what type to use. In your setup, is this wired in to the fuse box or locally to the Heatit? I'm just wondering how best one would go about retrofitting one in to my setup but don't know that much about them.

FYI Unfortunately, I made the fatal mistake of wiring one floor sensor in series with both of my Heatit thermostats (as a test) and this managed to fry both units. One is now completely dead and the other one just displays a flashing 1.8 and is unresponsive to local or Z-Wave control. I have no idea how this could have managed to fry both Thermostats but as you can imagine, a fairly costly experiment and I'm now back to using two Warmup thermostats until a couple of replacements arrive

BTW Mack1979, before the aforementioned 'fry-up' my 'power usage' device never appeared to change from zero, which is extremely annoying.

- John
                          The SSR used is a 30A version (with about 20A max load) of this
                          http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/products/...ail-Mount-SSRs

We went SSR because of the silent operation. The unit is installed locally to the mats in a purpose built in-wall enclosure.

Paul..

Comment

Paul..
                            Hi Paul - I've replaced my two Heatits and checked the Root device but it just says ON all of the time. The status value doesn't ever change from 255.

I'm using :
                            Status_Top = hs.DeviceVSP_GetStatus(1126, hs.DeviceValue(1126), HomeSeerAPI.ePairStatusControl.Status)

To get the device value from TenscriptingAid. Any suggestions?

Comment

Hi Paul - I've replaced my two Heatits and checked the Root device but it just says ON all of the time. The status value doesn't ever change from 255.

I'm using :
                              Status_Top = hs.DeviceVSP_GetStatus(1126, hs.DeviceValue(1126), HomeSeerAPI.ePairStatusControl.Status)

To get the device value from TenscriptingAid. Any suggestions?
                              Does the Last Change date / time change for the root device when the relay changes state?

Paul..

Comment

Does the Last Change date / time change for the root device when the relay changes state?

Paul..
                                Ah, I've fiddled about a little more. Are your sensors set to Air+Floor as the sensor setting?

The status does change if I use that setting, but not if I just use Floor as the sensor setting.

That is enough to work with. Many thanks Paul.
                                - John

Comment

Working...
                                X