Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave extension to garage, how?

Hello All,

I have been expanding my Z-Wave network in my apartment so far but now I have reached a challenge where I would need help from more experienced folks.

I would like to add motion sensor in my garage. The problem is that this garage is located three floors down from my apartment and therefore Z-Wave network wont reach it due amount concrete in between.

I'm looking for ideas how I could get the garage connected to my current ZW network. So far I have been thinking:

1) route signal through power lines. Problem: garage seems to be different phase (3-phase system) than my apartment and ethernet-over-powerline adapters won't connect at all.

2) Add routing ZW slave in between. Problem: the antenna of this routing slave would need to be outdoors, and sticking out of the external wall in order to get some kind of direct connection to the garage. I could actually attach this to my satellite antenna, however havent been able to find any routing z-wave device with power supply via cable. Obviously I cannot install 230VAC socket to the tip of my satellite antenna just to plug a zwave router

3) some other (possibly more custom) option...

If anyone has ideas how this challenge could be solved it would be very helpful!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Is it within wifi range at all?

Comment

If you have a network access in the garage you could add a remove Z-Net in that area.
      https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=30278814348
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Here I have had a wired motion sensor in the garage for many years. Never did work well due to the extremes in temperature (mostly didn't work when it is hot in the garage) Recently changed the garage door script to utilize the garage door wired sensor and the wired garage door sensor such that either triggers events in the house and the garage. The simple two wire reed sensors always work. (garage entrance door and garage door).

Getting wires though from the 3rd floor to a main floor could be challenging. This is where maybe you can take advantage of using wireless as mentioned above.

Wondering if it is a common use garage for all of the tenants or a single use garage for you?
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Aeon Labs makes a $30 Zwave plus repeater. You could install one on the 2nd floor and/or one the 1st floor and that would probably extend your ZWave signal down to the garage, but you'd need an outlet in a common area on each floor or some very accommodating neighbors.

If you have access to an outlet in the garage and your wifi network is in range there you could just install a wifi ap as a bridge (~$40) in the garage and then install a separate ZNET (~$160). This would also work if you have access to an open wifi network or a neighbor's network down in the garage.

If you don't have access to your wifi network in the garage, and I am assuming you don't, you could try mounting a directional wifi antenna (~$20) on your satellite dish and hook it up to an indoor wifi ap/bridge and see if that get's you signal down in the garage.

There are even more expensive options like trying to install a point-to-point wifi bridge, such as the Airmax antennas sold by Ubiquiti (+~$160), but I am guessing that is out of the question as it would require you to mount an antenna on the outside of the garage and on your satellite dish.

Comment

A couple of ideas come to mind.

Unifi AP in garage acting as wireless bridge to wired AP in your apartment. Z-net wired to AP in garage. APs have a pass through.

Another idea is if your garage power is on the same meter as your apartment, a couple of powerline adapters would work with a Z-net wired to the one in the garage.

My preference would be to use Unifi APs if possible. They are very reliable.

Good luck!
            Michael

Comment

Will he building maitenance team allow you to run a caT 6 cable from your to your apartment to the garage using the building's conduit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Aeon repeater option would be a quick way to see if it works. Where I work, we sell those repeaters and they work well for buildings that are spread-out. I'm not sure if they will work to repeat signals 'down' to a lower level.
                HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Working...
                X