This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSTouch Android Client Beta 1.0.0.29

If not reported issues, this version will be posted to the market.

Changes:

* App now automatically installs to external storage and then defaults to internal storage if no SD card is available. This now allows the app to be installed on devices without external storage.

* When uninstalling, the data files are deleted rather than being left on the SD card.

Install from here:

http://homeseer.com/updates/Beta/hst...lease_1_29.apk
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Rich,

Any idea when you might entertain changing this to a service?

I realize that this only satisfies those of us putting HS on our phone. Comparatively, the iphone only really "stays" connected if you JailBreak...so from YOUR perspective, the Android would be doing something the iphone does not...although it will match WinCE and the Windows Client, feature-wise.

Will get this version installed tonight.

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
      Rich,

Any idea when you might entertain changing this to a service?

I realize that this only satisfies those of us putting HS on our phone. Comparatively, the iphone only really "stays" connected if you JailBreak...so from YOUR perspective, the Android would be doing something the iphone does not...although it will match WinCE and the Windows Client, feature-wise.

Will get this version installed tonight.

--Dan
      Whilst I like this idea Dan I have one concern, at the minute although I have not tested it I am sure there is a relatively large battery life hit when running HSTouch, so much so it visibly comes down at times (go into the app on a green battery level, spend five minutes and find it has gone down to mid amber). Quite why I have no idea and whether it is just my setup (battery size on my HTC is probably quite small) I don't know, but running it as a service I could see some problems if it was causing high battery use.

Maybe I will find some sort of monitor app that I can look it a bit closer.

Comment

Not sure why you want to run it as a service as its a UI app so it does not make sense to run it if its not displayed. Do you want notifications from HS? If so, just use the email feature in HS and send a message to your phone. I believe it would really kill the battery if it stayed connected at all times.

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
        Whilst I like this idea Dan I have one concern, at the minute although I have not tested it I am sure there is a relatively large battery life hit when running HSTouch, so much so it visibly comes down at times (go into the app on a green battery level, spend five minutes and find it has gone down to mid amber). Quite why I have no idea and whether it is just my setup (battery size on my HTC is probably quite small) I don't know, but running it as a service I could see some problems if it was causing high battery use.

Maybe I will find some sort of monitor app that I can look it a bit closer.

Comment

I for one want HSTouch to run in the background at all times. The main reason is so I don't have to wait a few minutes for everything to load up practically every time I want to use it.

Right now the only option to have instant responsiveness every time when you go to use HSTouch is to keep it open in the foreground and prevent the tablet from sleeping. That's a lot worse on the battery than being able to let the screen sleep but having HSTouch remain active and connected.

It should be an option. There is already a (useless) "stay connected" option. Just like for that option people can make the choice of whether they are willing to sacrifice battery power for keeping the program connected.

If that doesn't convince you, think about this scenario. I'm showing off my system to someone and I want to pick up my tablet off the table, wake it and show off my screens. When it takes a couple of minutes just for the screen to even load so I can do anything it makes the person seeing it think "kinda cool, but not ready for prime-time", instead of "wow, that's awesome, how can I do that". This isn't a made up scenario. This is the difference in reaction I get if I load up HSTouch before showing it off vs. having to re-load it while the person watches.

Comment

Why does it take so long to load? When I open it on my ipad its almost instant, maybe 3 seconds or so. How many devices and events do you have? Sounds like something else is going on here.

Originally posted by Thrag View Post
            I for one want HSTouch to run in the background at all times. The main reason is so I don't have to wait a few minutes for everything to load up practically every time I want to use it.

Right now the only option to have instant responsiveness every time when you go to use HSTouch is to keep it open in the foreground and prevent the tablet from sleeping. That's a lot worse on the battery than being able to let the screen sleep but having HSTouch remain active and connected.

It should be an option. There is already a (useless) "stay connected" option. Just like for that option people can make the choice of whether they are willing to sacrifice battery power for keeping the program connected.

If that doesn't convince you, think about this scenario. I'm showing off my system to someone and I want to pick up my tablet off the table, wake it and show off my screens. When it takes a couple of minutes just for the screen to even load so I can do anything it makes the person seeing it think "kinda cool, but not ready for prime-time", instead of "wow, that's awesome, how can I do that". This isn't a made up scenario. This is the difference in reaction I get if I load up HSTouch before showing it off vs. having to re-load it while the person watches.

Comment

Takes about 3-5 secs to load on my Android phone. Another 10-15 secs to connect and get data (via WAN).

I don't have a honkin' server or phone but that's not bad (for me).

But I would like an option to turn off the TTS on the client side, without muting the phone.

Regards
              Michael
              Regards,
              Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

Comment

After upgrade from 1.0.26 ran the initalizing screen, but lost configuration file.
                Reselected configuration file and it was good to go.

On my own notes I use HSTouch from my phone over 3g and it still only takes a few seconds. I only have around 200 devices...

Comment

Additionally,

Weather is not loading properly it takes aproximately 2 minutes after pressing weather and then changes to Weather page but displaying Text and t's and ),false)] instead of weather data, also defaultling to Beford, NH instead of the city assigned to the configured zipcode.

This occurs on both 800x480 templates, (all i have tried so far)

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                    Not sure why you want to run it as a service as its a UI app so it does not make sense to run it if its not displayed. Do you want notifications from HS? If so, just use the email feature in HS and send a message to your phone. I believe it would really kill the battery if it stayed connected at all times.
                    The two reasons are to have it act like Gmail, from the standpoint of running all the time, and load time. Gmail interfaces with it's mail service. I would like to be able to get voice alerts, and most importantly, not have to wait to load.

I just tested it, on my work WIFI, it takes me 8 seconds to load. On 4G, sometimes it takes longer. Then the problem is, you not only have to wait those 8 seconds, but every page behind that now feels like it gets regenerated. So, to check the weather, takes an additional 5 seconds. This is only the first time. Next time I load the page, it is instant. This occurs for every page. The first time you click them, they pause 5 seconds. After that, they all FLY. At that kind of interaction, I might as well load a webpage using Rover. At home on WIFI, I "feel" the 8 seconds is less, but I still wait for every page to get loaded / generated (first time you access it).

On my IPOD, it takes ~3ish, so I totally agree with you on that (IPOD at home on WIFI).

On my WinCE Touch Pro 2, it takes ~15 seconds (on 3G, takes less time over WIFI at home). BUT the WINCE phone will hold the program in the background. On that phone I did not notice any real power difference between running HST and not. I can not comment on the Android phone since I use my phone...and typically do not leave HSTouch in the foreground, so it gets closed. I can spend a few days trying to see if the Android program makes any difference in my power drain. However, for me, I'd rather give up the power so I can have instant access to my cameras and weather.

Here is another example:
                    Someone rings my doorbell. If I follow your method, and just wait for the e-mail, then load Homeseer Touch, then access my cameras, that could be 30 seconds to 1 minute (pending time for the e-mail to arrive). If HSTouch is already running, as soon as someone rings the doorbell, Homeseer pushes the proper camera page to the foreground and alerts me with a voice command or a ding. This route, worst case, it is about 5 seconds (if the page in the design has to be generated).

--Dan
                    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by stboch View Post
                      Additionally,

Weather is not loading properly it takes aproximately 2 minutes after pressing weather and then changes to Weather page but displaying Text and t's and ),false)] instead of weather data, also defaultling to Beford, NH instead of the city assigned to the configured zipcode.

did you update your server? With the new weather stuff, the server had to change. I had to update both the server and the client (same with IPOD and WinCE).

--Dan

Comment

Originally posted by stboch View Post
                        ... also defaultling to Beford, NH instead of the city assigned to the configured zipcode.

Are you sure that the weather is really from there instead of the zip that you entered in project defaults?

I think that one of the ready made projects I looked at had "Beford, NH" hard coded in a text field. You can delete it or change it to your city name. Either way, it shouldn't alter the actual weather data.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuddy View Post
                          Takes about 3-5 secs to load on my Android phone. Another 10-15 secs to connect and get data (via WAN).

I don't have a honkin' server or phone but that's not bad (for me).

But I would like an option to turn off the TTS on the client side, without muting the phone.

Regards
                          Michael
                          That's about the same as the timing on my phone. It's just over 20 seconds from launch to usable. My tablets are powered all the time and have HSTouch up all the time, so not an issue there.

I got rid of the TTS on the tablets by entering "SERVEREFAULT" in the speaker clients box under the general tab of the setup screen. "SERVER" is the name of the PC that the speaker client connected to my intercom is on. (It's also the PC that runs HomeSeer.)

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                            did you update your server? With the new weather stuff, the server had to change. I had to update both the server and the client (same with IPOD and WinCE).

--Dan
                            Thought i had but maybe not. That would make sense for the weather issue. Yup forgot to update...

Comment

Originally posted by Thrag View Post

Sounds like you need a faster tablet. Why is the stay connected option useless?

Comment

Working...
                              X