Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I connect two HS-WD100 together for a virtual 3-way switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I connect two HS-WD100 together for a virtual 3-way switch?

I'm new to Z-Wave and I've read that that HomeSeer HS-WD100+ is the best Z-Wave dimmer switch available but I have a question.

Is it possible to purchase two HS-WD100+ and connect them together (using z-wave associations?) to create a virtual 3-way switch where a traveler wire isn't available?

I'd like to be able to use either switch to turn my light on/off and possible dim the lights at both locations.

Also, is this possible with different contrllers (ie. VeraEdge [my URC home automation only supports this controller]), or would it only be possible with a HomeSeer controller?

There is an Aux switch to allow you to do this. Its also a lot cheaper. Get the main switch with the aux switch and wire the traveler wire between the two (the aux switch will also need hot and neutral as well).

Comment

Thank you so much for the response, but I'm wondering if it's possible using Z-Wave association and not requiring a traveler wire.

Comment

I didn't see that part. I do something similar. Intermatic has some older hardware floating around ebay land still and they have a switch that is only a scene controller (doesn't control a load). I have one in my garage to gave me a fake 3 way and I do use association. It works even without HS online, which was important for me.

I am sure you can do it the way you are thinking, but depending on the location, maybe look for the intermatic as it might be cheaper.

Comment

Can you also control dimming from the second switch or just basic on/off?

Comment

It's just on off unfortunately. To be honest I am not sure if you can control dim by association, but someone else might chime in about that.

I also think the Cooper switches do use an Aux switch that doesn't need a traveler. Maybe take a look at them.

Comment

The Fibaro Dimmer 2 appears to have commands to send multi-level dimming over a z-wave association but that product is meant to add dimming to an existing light and isn't an actual switch.

Based on that it seems possible, but I was hoping for a solution with the HomeSeer WD-100s because of how good they are.

Comment

I'm trying to learn, but can you tell me if this is correct?

The HS-WD100+ supports the command class "Multilevel Switch" which is used for dimming.

I need to find an auxiliary switch that supports z-wave association with a controlled command class of multilevel so it can send the command to the HS-WD100, right?

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong. It looks like the basic command class also sends values from 0-255 so that can be used for dimming? Very confusing!

Comment

Short answer, yes it is possible. So I'm not sure how Vera works, but I use a script to set lights around the house depending on what switches I tap. For instance if I single tap most switches, they operate that switch only, but if I double tap a switch it will control all the lights in the room. I have some cans in the kitchen with two separate switches that i tied together the single tap in homeseer so they all fire off of either switch... A virtual three way. It's a matter of figuring out how to do the if-then logic on your controller.

Comment

Working...
                  X