Interfacing with Rain Bird irrigation controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interfacing with Rain Bird irrigation controller

Anyone tried it? It seems to have a "remote" port on the control box, and they sell remotes that allow full control of the box through this port. Any way to get control through homeseer through this port?

Thanks
    Dan

Which model number Rain Bird irrigation controller do you have? I have a 10 year old controller and I don't believe it has that port.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

ESP12LX i believe....It's on the bottom part of the back of the door, by where the rechargable battery is on mine.

Comment

Dan -
        I used a Powerflash module in series with the common cable to control my rainbird system. You can read about the project in more detail on my website: Sprinkler Control.

Comment

Dan,
          I did the same as Carlos and have the powerflash simply "cut" the common connection when my weather station reports rain. This method does not allow setting the controllers functions but does allow the ability to shut down the sprinklers if it's raining.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Carlos,

The link on your website to Mike Mattheys evapotranspiration looks outdated - it still refers to 'homeseer.infopop.net' instead of pointing ot 'ubb.homeseer.com'.

I found Mike Mattheys original posting on http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...311#5602943311.

Richard

Comment

Thanks Richard. I updated the reference to Mike Mike Matthews' Evapotranspiration (ET) post in the forum.
              I should add that since the addition of both Weather_XML (good detailed forecast data) and PM_Weather (for those of us without a real weather station) scripts, not just the calculation of the ET, but in general, determining if irrigation should be suspended for the day is a lot easier.

Comment

Cool project - I always avoided sprinklers and X10 because of the gremlins wandering in my house wiring. I did not think of a hybrid combining a RainBird controller and X10 universal module. Setting over watering on the Rainbird and then use X10 to cut out rather than to turn on is a really good solution to a simple problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ccastillo
                  Dan -
                  I used a Powerflash module in series with the common cable to control my rainbird system.
                  Hey Guys, How do I do wire the powerflash in series? What are the powerflash settings?

I have not made the change to an automated controller yet. Maybe next year. I would like to shut down the system based on XML Weather conditions/forecasts.

Thanks
                  Larry
                  Larry

Comment

The universal is the module of interest rather than the powerflash. There are two wires going into current controller from a 24V transformer/walll wart. One of these is usually connected to a common where all valves wires are bussed together. The other is the controller input. The controller switches this line between each of valves based upon a schedule. The input to this controller is removed and screwed onto one of the universal module posts. The other universal post is connected to the controller where the prior wire was removed. The universal is plugged into the powerline and can be controller via Homeseer.

Comment

Thanks Michael.

Next year, when I get around to setting up the Rain8Net (or simliar) controller I will be utilizing the your sprinkler PI.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                      X