Windows, Linux or PI3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows, Linux or PI3

You can check out jon00's webpage creator. Sounds like that would do what you want. Aside from that, I personally recommend Windows since more plugins are available.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

What hardware would you use and what Windows platform.
      I have a vm of Windows 7 pro.
      I've not used anything above that as I am a Mac user at home and work normally.
      I can get a gigabyte box the same as the SEL fairly cheaply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm migrating my hspro setup from a pi2 to a pi3 and currently have 5 plugins. It's been running great for > year now.
        Low power, cheap disaster/recovery, cheaper than Windows, etc.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I'm running it on WHS 2011 (Server 2008 R2). It's solid. I never have to think about the OS really. You can go with a VM but it can be difficult to attach USB devices. For example my modem for caller ID is USB so a VM is out of the question for me personally.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Windows, Linux or PI3

I use vms a lot for work as I use a MacBook but run Windows vms for PLC and scada work. Most comms and storage is via usb so that doesnt concern me too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by gd1210; May 8, 2016, 10:05 AM.

Comment

So what was the outcome? I'm curious of the best route also.

As you know you have been helping me out on my Pi3 running full HS3 because I was looking to downsize from a full windows PC to a smaller footprint LINUX box.

I have already ran into the plugin issue where one of my main plugins (caddx alarm panel) doesn't work on Linux.

I have always been a windows user and feel more at home with windows. But newer windows have to much bloatware automatic updates and other junk that I was trying to avoid. I was hoping Linux would be just the plane Jane, always up, minimalist, no need to update, OS.

The more I play with it right now (I still don't know anything and just learned what MONO is) and use HS on it, I'm not sure it's going to be any more stable or always up to run HS on it vs. windows.

I also feel like windows needs a bit more power to run and would require more or faster hardware to run which is what I'm trying to avoid.

So what was your outcome?

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
                ...I was looking to downsize from a full windows PC to a smaller footprint LINUX box...
                when you say downsize.. do you mean physical size dimensions or power hungry machines?

I am a windows guy...
                so if physical size and power..
                intel NUC are really fast, small and not bad priced (albeit more than a pi3)
                also
                Lenovo Tiny machines. you can get an older refurb i5 for $200!!!!!

This has an intel nuc and lenovo usff pic...

http://www.channelpronetwork.com/rev...ktop-pc-review
                HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                  when you say downsize.. do you mean physical size dimensions or power hungry machines?

I am a windows guy...
                  so if physical size and power..
                  intel NUC are really fast, small and not bad priced (albeit more than a pi3)
                  also
                  Lenovo Tiny machines. you can get an older refurb i5 for $200!!!!!

This has an intel nuc and lenovo usff pic...

http://www.channelpronetwork.com/rev...ktop-pc-review
                  I mean all around.

Cost, Size, Noise, Power requirements. I like the idea of the PI with no fans, small, can be power backed up with a USB Phone charger, Runs on a few gig SD card.

A nuc or Brix was always an option, but will use 3 times the power and size and most will have a fan in them. Also cost 4 times the cost or more just for hardware.

I'm also not sure if the Pi3 is going to be fast enough either of if I'll still need a nuc or brix to run Linux correctly.

Again I'm a windows user myself and may still stick with windows if this whole Linux thing doesn't work out. Just don;t know if I'll keep my full tower server (still have to run Blueiris and Plex anyways) or downsize to a nuc.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
                    ... (still have to run Blueiris and Plex anyways)....
                    decision made right there!!!!

I too will be running a Plex and dvr server... but I pulled my HS install out of my single server setup....

I also now have an ipfire box (thread around here)...
                    ta boot I dont have blue iris but I have a Samsung CCTV box...

so seems I went from 1 box to 4 !!!!!!!!!!

but the lenovo tiny (what they call it.. the usff) uses 11watts power!!!! well i have an ssd in it too...

see hw specs in sig...
                    im not running all of my plugins yet... im doing a youtube on my install... check that out in the sig too... only got concord 4 and rfxcom done... more soon
                    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                      decision made right there!!!!

I too will be running a Plex and dvr server... but I pulled my HS install out of my single server setup....

I also now have an ipfire box (thread around here)...
                      ta boot I dont have blue iris but I have a Samsung CCTV box...

so seems I went from 1 box to 4 !!!!!!!!!!

but the lenovo tiny (what they call it.. the usff) uses 11watts power!!!! well i have an ssd in it too...

see hw specs in sig...
                      im not running all of my plugins yet... im doing a youtube on my install... check that out in the sig too... only got concord 4 and rfxcom done... more soon
                      I download torrents and all kinds of crap on the Plex server, so I was trying to separate the HS3 server from it and Blueiris, but I don't really want to end up with 4 servers. If it was 4 pi's I guess I could live with it but 4 Nucs I'll just stick to one big sever I think.

Currently I'm still on hold trying to decide, testing on the pi3 and waiting for my needed plugin for Caddx to get Linux compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                        For example my modem for caller ID is USB so a VM is out of the question for me personally.
                        My USB modem works fine in a Windows 7 VM hosted by Esxi 5.5 ; my problem is only for sound card and video capture.

Comment

Working...
                        X