X10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10

I have a Smartenit 1011A Light SensorDual Band Insteon / X10 8 Zone Sprinkler controller and I'm trying to set it up with HS3 and the HSInsteon plug-in. It's suppose to be a 8 zone sprinkler controller. I have enrolled and it shows up in my device mangement page. Im not sure how to identify each zone. It has a drop down menu like the following
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-5.png
Views:	1
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	1210894

The properties look like as follows:

Name:	Untitled-4.png
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	1210895

How do I program each zones. it doesn't look like there's a selection for zones

The free Insteon plugin is VERY limited.
    And it is not being developed because there are 3rd party plugins dedicated to Insteon and such.
    I believe that is just a re-branded EZFLORA device.
    So you will need to get that plug-in.
    Attached Files
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
    Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

That plug-in doesn't show up in my list of available plug-ins

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1190541.

This is my system profile:
      Current Date/Time: 4/13/2017 10:57:37 AM
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.317
      Linux version: Linux hometrollerSEL 3.16.0-031600-generic #201408031935 SMP Sun Aug 3 23:56:17 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 2 Days 2 Hours 2 Minutes 43 Seconds
      IP Address: 192.168.0.10
      Number of Devices: 153
      Number of Events: 23
      Available Threads: 193

Enabled Plug-Ins
      3.6.0.0: BOSESoundTouch
      5.0.0.58: Global Cache Pro
      1.0.0.9: HSInsteon
      3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server
      3.0.1.5: Kodi
      3.0.0.63: weatherXML
      3.0.1.87: Z-Wave

Comment

Looks like the plugin is written only for Windows.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Is there another option?

If it's an Insteon product, why wouldn't the plug-in work for it?

Comment

The plugin could work in Linux in Mono. You can give it a go download the Windows zip installation file, unzip it and look at the installation text, copy the files in to the Homeseer directory with Homeseer in off mode. You should see the plugin when you start HS3. Here mostly have seen issues with nomenclature stuff which has been solved with the programs you see on the HS3 database that work in Windows and Linux.

If it's an Insteon product, why wouldn't the plug-in work for it?

It is not related to this and only that the plugin is available in Windows.

For testing though you will need to download it manually. The download text file in your Homeseer directory has both Linux and Windows plugins. Just follow the Windows Links for the plugin and give it a try.

Here is the Windows link to download the plugin.

hxxp://homeseer.com/updates3rd3/HSPI_EZFLORA_2_0_0_1.zip

change the xx to tt.

Here been using MCSprinklers for many many years and it is running on Linux.

Started with 2 Rain8Nets serially connected to Homeseer 2. Then built a tiny Linux box to run MCSprinklers and put that inside of the old Rainbird box. Been a few years now. Note if you are not familiar with Linux then I wouldn't try it. Use WinSCP / Putty to do this in Windows or file manager / ssh in Linux.

As Michael on the MCSprinklers sub forum if it will work with your sprinkler device.

BTW it's been many years here since I have used Insteon using a serial PLM. The X10 pieces gave me some issues so I went to using the CM11A and or the TW523 (with an Ocelot).
            Last edited by Pete; April 13, 2017, 04:45 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

No, I'm not comfortable with my Linux skills. I have used Putty a few times to connect to my controller and do updates. Not too familiar with the commands line yet; just know the basics.

Can you provide instructions on how to do this? that would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Shut down HomeSeer 3

Utilize WinSCP and unzip the zipped files above to some place you will remember on your Windows box - IE: like documents\downloads?

Copy the exe and ini files over to the \HomeSeer directory on your HS3 box as written below using WinSCP.

The zip above has three files:

- EZFlora.ini

Shows:

[CONFIG]
                NumDevices=0
                Logging=1

Copy the INI file to /HomeSeer/Config (default Homeseer directory is at: /usr/local/HomeSeer)

Above shows logging is on by default.

After the plugin is enabled have a look at the root directory of your HS3 box with WinSCP. It may write the logs there with backwards nomenclature.

- HSPI_EZFLORA.exe

Copy the HSPI_EZFLORA.exe file over to the /HomeSeer root directory.

- INSTALL.TXT

You do not have to copy this file to the HS3 box.

The install.txt file shows:

HSPI_EZFLORA.exe,.,0
                EZFlora.ini,.\Config,16

Reboot your HS3 box.

You should now see the plugin in the list of plugins. It will be disabled. Enable it.

Not sure if the plugin will write to any other directories at this time. It should work. Look at your logs for any errors.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

A little tidbit relating to the forward slash backward slash stuff between Windows and Linux and relating to making the current Windows plugin work in Linux if it doesn't today.

Windows is the bastard child of operating systems in this regard, but a lot of APIs will accept forward slashes as well. On Windows, a file path looks like this:

C:\Users\jsmith\Documents\file.txt

On a Unix-like system (including Mac OS X and Linux), the same path would look like this:

/home/jsmith/Documents/file.txt

A URL, standardized in RFC 1738, always uses forward slashes, regardless of platform:

hxxp://home.example.com/Documents/file.txt

The reason for this is historical. Not even Windows can reverse our thinking on URLs. When you're talking about backslashes, the only platform you'll find that uses them is Windows (and some other novelty ones).

Where you might see backslashes used other than Windows would be UNC paths -- however, Windows is the chief proponent of these as well:

\\HOMESVR\Documents\file.txt

The reason for this is a little piece of history. When UNIX was created, or should I rather say UNICS, they chose the / as separator for directories. Back in the days, storage media was rather small, and every directory in the root was another mounted storage device (/bin /lib etc.)

When Microsoft release MS-DOS version 1.0, it did not have directory support. They used the / character for parameters from programs (program /a /b)

MS-DOS 1.0, a quick rebrand of Q-DOS, is a CP/M derived operating system, from which it inherited drive letters (A: C: etc.)

As in later versions they wanted to add some directory support, they chose to use the \ since the / already had another meaning in their operating system.

There are many artifacts of computer history in modern operating systems, which I suppose most people don't realize, but still have a major influence on how they work.

So, what is the right way?

If there is any, I would say it's the / because UNIX-like operating systems were out there way before Microsoft implemented directory support into their DOS.

As a side note and talking about .NET, you should use

System.IO.Path.DirectorySeparatorChar to get the current path separator.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

BTW as mentioned early in the OP by codemonkey; this specific HS3 base Insteon plugin is limited in function.

A suggestion is to address moving to the 3rd party Insteon plugin posted over here by Mark Sandler.

===> Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler)
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I got the plug-in installed and enabled. Thank you for your help!

My Smartenit module is still connected to the HS Insteon plug. Do I need to disable it from the HS plug-in and enroll it in the Flozra plug-in

Comment

Good news huntley1.

Have you looked at your HS3 device with WinSCP explorer?

It will show if there are any directories being written external to base HS3 directory.

Not knowing here googled the EZFlora device. It is an 8 zone Insteon device which needs to be programmed by Insteon and managed by X10 or Insteon. So I would guess yes.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

How is the thrid-party Insteon plug-in better? what are the limitation? I can use than instead of the Flozra plug-in?

I'm new to the home automation world. I have a light switch and relay for controlling my fireplace that are Insteon (they're working find for me. no issues). And of course this irrigation module... The rest of my devices are Z-Wave. I'm just going to stick to Z-Wave as much as I possible can. I find it much easier to work with.

Comment

The built in plug-in is limited to only a couple devices.
                            Mark adds all of the devices as they are created. You are going to need to unlink all of your devices and then re-add them using Mark's plugin. A pain, but one that is worth it in the long run.

Now your sprinkler module is not an insteon device, it is a 3rd party device that is compatible with insteon. You WILL need a stand alone plug-in for that device.

While it would be great to be able to stand up a Linux version of homeseer, this is exactly why I would not. Not all of the plug-in's are Linux compatible and there is no guarantee that the one you need will ever be ported over. Keep in mind that Linux is NOT Homeseer's primary platform. It was built for windows.
                            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
                            Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
                            Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
                            Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

Yup; here used to run Homeseer 2 on Windows servers.

That said Homeseer 3 added a nice feature where you can run a HS plugin independantly on different hardware and connect to the mothership (whether it is Windows or Linux).

So here the Linux Ubuntu 64 bit motherships talk to plugins remotely connected. IE: Z-Wave is running on a RPi2 / Jessie and connects to Homeseer. Kinect / Alexa plugin are running on a mini Windows 10 PC and connect to the Linux mothership. On the Ubuntu box I am running Oracle Virtual box. One VB is Windows server which runs my speaker instances which utilize MS SAPI. Works great this way.

IE: you could run the EZFlora plugin on an Oracle VB of Windows (like XP / W7) and have it talk to the Homeseer 3 running in Ubuntu. The plugin lists shows remote and local plugins connected to HS3.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X