Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to link buttons on multiple button switches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to link buttons on multiple button switches?

Hi,
    I have some 8 button switches, and would like to program them to link together. For example to have button B control the same light as button B on another 8 button switch. In my hall for example, there are 5 switches that I would like to use to control the hall. It would be nice to have the same button control the hall light on all 5 switches. How can this be programmed via HS3 on a Raspberry Pi 3??

Not sure if there are scripts available for the Pi, but there is a toggle script on the forum that allows you to use one button on a remote or device to toggle the state of a switch both physical and virtual. If it exists for the Pi environment, I think you might be able to use that on all buttons.

Another thought is to create a single event with 5 "or" values each one looking for the same button on your various switches.

If button b on switch 1 is pressed or button b on switch 2 or button b on switch 3.... then turn on hall light. Would require 2 buttons without the toggle script to flip a light on and off but would have consistency across all 5 remotes.

Comment

Hi thanks for the help. Is there written documentation for the many features of Homeseer. Maybe it's just something I'm missing. I will try to do as you have suggested, but it would be so helpful if there was documentation.

Comment

There is a pretty helpful tutorial section on the forum as well as searching the threads for how to guides. The hard part with Homeseer is it is all determined by the other equipment that you add to the system and how you want to use it, control vs automation.

I first started with smart things which really helped get a quick foundation of what I might want to do in the house. Then moved to homeseer and someone pointed out that they focus on automation over control, just having things happen given conditions vs having to tell it. That made sense for me and changed how I used the system, then added Alexa integration and again changed how I use it. These little one offs make the manual aspect really hard but there are some great resources on the forum.

Comment

I have several multi button devices. I use events for all actions. The ORIF works well. Another thing that I like is EasyTrigger. It has a nice toggle function. Several of my buttons use it.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
            I have several multi button devices. I use events for all actions. The ORIF works well. Another thing that I like is EasyTrigger. It has a nice toggle function. Several of my buttons use it.

I always forget about easy trigger, such a simple plugin on the surface but it really can do a ton of great things in Homeseer.

Comment

Originally posted by norcalhkr View Post
              I always forget about easy trigger, such a simple plugin on the surface but it really can do a ton of great things in Homeseer.
              It is super useful with buttons and scenes. The toggle is more than just ON/OFF which is what my mind first went to. However, it is more powerful than that. You define the 'loop'. Maybe OFF/50%/ON. I use it in HSTouch as well as in events that process triggers from buttons on Arduino controlled devices (think DIY minimote). I don't use it everwhere but when the use case needs more flexibility, it is often found in Easy Trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                It is super useful with buttons and scenes. The toggle is more than just ON/OFF which is what my mind first went to. However, it is more powerful than that. You define the 'loop'. Maybe OFF/50%/ON. I use it in HSTouch as well as in events that process triggers from buttons on Arduino controlled devices (think DIY minimote). I don't use it everwhere but when the use case needs more flexibility, it is often found in Easy Trigger.

I had never thought of changing the loop in the toggle, that opens some new ideas, off/25/50/75/on or even volumes within a range for the Sonos when double tapping in the kitchen, etc. more fun to play with now.

Comment

Working...
                X