Major System Craziness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major System Craziness

I'm not certain this is Insteon-related, but I'm starting here.

For the past couple of weeks my system has been acting...strange. Several lights in particular are acting as if they have a mind of their own: the hall painting light, the light in my closet, the garage lights, and the garage door relay. Basically they come on when they want to, turn off when they want to, and half the time don't respond to events. I've checked the log in Detail mode, and cannot see any entries related to these anomalies. The Homeseer interface right now thinks the painting light is on, and it is not. This is typical.

Do I have a PLM issue? A network issue? OR.......something else....

(You should probably also know that this house is officially haunted. )

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

My particulars:

Current Date/Time: 1/27/2018 7:59:58 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.368
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Work Station
    System Uptime: 7 Days 6 Hours 13 Minutes 37 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.121
    Number of Devices: 253
    Number of Events: 48
    Available Threads: 600

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.6.0: Insteon

Jim Speiser
    Still don't know squat

Comment

are there any links between these devices? try pulling the set button on each device to see if the issue goes away. it may be just one bad device affecting the others.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

By that I assume you mean pull the set button out and leave it out until either the problem manifests again - in which case I should try another device - or disappears entirely, in which case I've localized the problem. Yes?

Jim Speiser
        Still don't know squat

Comment

And no, there's no cross-linking between any of these.

Jim Speiser
          Still don't know squat

Comment

By that I assume you mean pull the set button out and leave it out until either the problem manifests again - in which case I should try another device - or disappears entirely, in which case I've localized the problem. Yes?

Jim Speiser
            Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
              exactly. you might try this on other devices on the same circuit as well
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
              Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
              Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
              Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

After a bout of the flu, I started tackling this again. I was unable to isolate a problem unit using your method. So I concentrated on the most problematic unit, 17.44.B4, Front Hall Painting Light. I turned on polling and watched for the unit to switch itself off. It happened a few minutes ago, and here's what I got in the log:

Feb-05 11:06:27 PM Insteon Starting Scheduled Polling...
                Feb-05 11:06:27 PM Insteon Timed poll for Insteon device Front Entry Painting Light (17.44.B4), Last contact 2/5/2018 11:01:12 PM. Polling interval of 5 min. reached, polling...
                Feb-05 11:06:27 PM Insteon Requesting Insteon status (Polling) for device Front Entry Painting Light (17.44.B4)
                Feb-05 11:06:27 PM Insteon Attempting to update the status for Front Entry Painting Light (17.44.B4)
                Feb-05 11:06:27 PM Insteon Sending command 02 62 17 44 B4 0A 19 00 to RF PLM, (Expecting 0 bytes extra back) Pre-Payload ACK:False, NAK is ok:False
                Feb-05 11:06:27 PM Insteon ..Got RF PLM Response 02 62 17 44 B4 0A 19 00 06
                Feb-05 11:06:29 PM Insteon Received STX 0x50 (Raw Insteon Rec):17 44 B4 3D 98 D6 27 0C 00
                Feb-05 11:06:29 PM Insteon Database recently heard delta value for device 17.44.B4 is current.
                Feb-05 11:06:29 PM Insteon Database delta value of 12 for device 17.44.B4 is current. No changes since last database update.
                Feb-05 11:06:29 PM Insteon Received a Direct ACK from Front Entry Painting Light (17.44.B4): 17 44 B4 3D 98 D6 27 0C 00
                Feb-05 11:06:29 PM Insteon StandardDeviceClass ProcessStatus called with Level:0
                Feb-05 11:06:29 PM Insteon Setting status and value for device 17.44.B4:1. Old status:100 Old Value:100, New Status:3 New Value:0
                Feb-05 11:06:29 PM Insteon Received STX 0x50 (Raw Insteon Rec):17 44 B4 3D 98 D6 23 0C 00 Debouncing repeat.

I don't know what any of this means, but why would it go from status 100 to status 3? As far as I know, there IS no status 3, at least not that I've defined. What the heck is going on?

Jim Speiser
                Still don't know squat

Comment

ignore status and focus on value. it went from On to Off. the polling is just updating the hs device based on polling response.
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

OK, then the question becomes, why did it go from On to Off? Nothing else happened around that time to trigger it, that I can see....? And this is happening, with varying frequency, to other units. If I didn't know better, I would swear that someone is secretly replacing my Insteons with X-10s! My house is devolving!

Jim Speiser
                    Still don't know squat

Comment

OK, then the question becomes, why did it go from On to Off? Nothing else happened around that time to trigger it, that I can see....? And this is happening, with varying frequency, to other units. If I didn't know better, I would swear that someone is secretly replacing my Insteons with X-10s! My house is devolving!
                      have you tried a factor reset on any of these devices? You can use the plugin to reprogram the device after the reset.

side note, I currently have a kpl that randomly click on and off and on all by itself. I can't explain it.
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                        have you tried a factor reset on any of these devices? You can use the plugin to reprogram the device after the reset.

side note, I currently have a kpl that randomly click on and off and on all by itself. I can't explain it.
                        Yes, sorry, yes, I did that the other day, and used the plugin to reprogram. I thought maybe there were stray links in the unit that the PLM was unaware of. No dice.

This is just one of a huge stack of tech issues I'm having throughout the house. My wife is convinced its the ghost(s). I'm trying everything possible within the natural world to get these things fixed. And we've already had two shamans here, chanting and spraying stuff. It's getting extremely weird, especially for me, I'm an atheist, and I used to debunk this kind of crap.

Jim Speiser
                        Still don't know squat

Comment

if devices aren't responding to commands from the plm, then there is something blocking the signals. review other threads that disc tracking down noisy devices.

some devices have a "LED Flash on Tx" option. you might try enabling this option (if available) and see if it if flashes unexpectedly.
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I did X-10 for 25 years, I know from noise on the line, phase problems, etc., trust me. I've been monitoring TX lights, and I can't say that I see any transient signals, not that I'd necessarily be able to tell which are legit and which are extraneous.

What I did today was shut down HomeSeer for the entire day, to see if the anomalies persisted, and they did NOT. Does that suggest that the PLM is dicey?

I just started it up again, if I sent you my startup log, insteon.ini, insteon error report.log, and whatever else, would you have time to take a look and see if anything stands out?

Jim Speiser
                            Still don't know squat

Comment

I did X-10 for 25 years, I know from noise on the line, phase problems, etc., trust me. I've been monitoring TX lights, and I can't say that I see any transient signals, not that I'd necessarily be able to tell which are legit and which are extraneous.

What I did today was shut down HomeSeer for the entire day, to see if the anomalies persisted, and they did NOT. Does that suggest that the PLM is dicey?

I just started it up again, if I sent you my startup log, insteon.ini, insteon error report.log, and whatever else, would you have time to take a look and see if anything stands out?
                              if things are happening randomly, looking at the logs wont help all the much.

how about trying a reset and reprogram on the Interface using the plugin
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                              X