More System Craziness - Borderline Insanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More System Craziness - Borderline Insanity

My system has taken a huge nosedive. I had just fixed some of the problems from my previous post (OK, some of them just went away), then last night my wife rearranged the office in which the HomeSeer server sits. She shut down the computer and unplugged all the externals. That's when things really went south.

For starters, HomeSeer is not communicating with the Insteon devices. No events are having the desired effect.

The startup log alternatively shows an error on startup:

3/27/2018 11:00:57 AM ~!~Warning~!~Error starting web server, port in use? Are you running a web server on the designated port? Edit settings.ini in the Config folder and change gWebSvrPort=## to a different port #. The requested address is not valid in its context

...and the next time I boot, will show NO error. However, I cannot control anything from the web interface.

Insteon Configuration showed an error saying it basically can't find the interface. The COM port field was blank. I typed COM4 into it and saved, then I went to Plug-In Manager to cycle the Insteon module. I turned it off...and it disappeared from the list of plug-ins. It's also gone from the drop-down menu.

The log at this point shows:

Mar-27 11:09:20 AM Info Plugin Insteon with instance: has disconnected
    Mar-27 11:09:24 AM Updater An item in the Updater is temporarily unavailable: Unable to connect to the remote server Item: http://homeseer.du-pre.com/HS3/Limit...D3/updater.txt
    Mar-27 11:09:30 AM Updater An item in the Updater is temporarily unavailable: Unable to connect to the remote server Item: http://homeseer.du-pre.com/HS3/HarmonyHub3/updater.txt
    Mar-27 11:09:37 AM Updater An item in the Updater is temporarily unavailable: Unable to connect to the remote server Item: http://homeseer.du-pre.com/HS3/Plugwise3/updater.txt
    Mar-27 11:09:39 AM Updater An item in the Updater is temporarily unavailable: Unable to connect to the remote server Item: http://homeseer.du-pre.com/HS3/PlugwisePro3/updater.txt
    Mar-27 11:09:42 AM Updater An item in the Updater is temporarily unavailable: Unable to connect to the remote server Item: http://homeseer.du-pre.com/HS3/Think...r3/updater.txt
    Mar-27 11:09:44 AM Updater An item in the Updater is temporarily unavailable: Unable to connect to the remote server Item: http://homeseer.du-pre.com/HS3/Caddx3/updater.txt
    Mar-27 11:09:49 AM Updater An item in the Updater is temporarily unavailable: Unable to connect to the remote server Item: http://homeseer.du-pre.com/HS3/FritzBox3/updater.txt
    Mar-27 11:09:53 AM Updater An item in the Updater is temporarily unavailable: Unable to connect to the remote server Item: http://homeseer.du-pre.com/HS3/IPThe...t3/updater.txt

Bottom line, the system has gone completely insane....and I am following close behind. Please tell me there is one simple thing that can explain all of this.

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

Excuse a complete guess here; but since you are having trouble connecting to resources for the updater, is it possible your network setup was changed when things were plugged back in? Ethernet cable in the wrong port if you have more than 1? Can you browse from the machine to the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by bsobel View Post
      Excuse a complete guess here; but since you are having trouble connecting to resources for the updater, is it possible your network setup was changed when things were plugged back in? Ethernet cable in the wrong port if you have more than 1? Can you browse from the machine to the internet?
      I'm typing to you from the errant machine, so yes. And my NIC is wi-fi. I don't think she changed any setup, she IS somewhat tech-savvy. (Just not as tech-savvy as she thinks!)

Jim Speiser
      Still don't know squat

Comment

assuming you have everything plugged back in the same place, you should be able to restore your homeseer.hsd, settings.ini, and insteon.ini, and any other plugin config files and get back online.

for the port issue, do you have iis or similar running on that box? maybe the port got changed too
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

This may be the DHCP was set to auto. For a static IP you shouldn't have a connection problem. DHCP leases are not always honored in router reboots.

Eman.
          TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
            assuming you have everything plugged back in the same place, you should be able to restore your homeseer.hsd, settings.ini, and insteon.ini, and any other plugin config files and get back online.

for the port issue, do you have iis or similar running on that box? maybe the port got changed too
            Tell me again where to restore those files from? The ConfigBackup folder contains zip files dated back in January.

I do not have iis.

Jim Speiser
            Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
              This may be the DHCP was set to auto. For a static IP you shouldn't have a connection problem. DHCP leases are not always honored in router reboots.

Eman.
              This server is the ONLY device with a DHCP reservation - 192.168.1.121.

Jim Speiser
              Still don't know squat

Comment

i would backup everything before you start restoring files.

you should verify which com port the plm is using (see device manager for windows). it may have changed if it was plugged into a different usb port.

check in the Data folder and Config folder for backup files. not sure you need to do this until you get the plugin running.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

i would backup everything before you start restoring files.

you should verify which com port the plm is using (see device manager for windows). it may have changed if it was plugged into a different usb port.

check in the Data folder and Config folder for backup files. not sure you need to do this until you get the plugin running.
                  Been so long, do I just hit BACKUP CONFIG on the settings page? Or do I manually back them up from the folder?

Jim Speiser
                  Still don't know squat

Comment

you can use the backup config, but that will only backup hs config.

i would shutdown hs3 and make a copy of the entire homeseer folder
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

you can use the backup config, but that will only backup hs config.

i would shutdown hs3 and make a copy of the entire homeseer folder
                      OK, done. And USB Serial Port COM 4 shows under device manager. The driver is FTDI.

Jim Speiser
                      Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
                        OK, done. And USB Serial Port COM 4 shows under device manager. The driver is FTDI.
                        ...and the problem is still extant. "Insteon" is not a choice under "Manage Plug-Ins." So, how do I copy in a backup of my config files?

Jim Speiser
                        Still don't know squat

Comment

copy the insteon.ini to the config folder, and reinstall the plugin
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

copy the insteon.ini to the config folder, and reinstall the plugin
                            "From" what folder? There is no insteon.ini in ConfigBackup. There is an insteon.ini.bak in the Config folder, dated 3/26, which does not pre-date the problem.

And Happy Easter/Pesach.

Jim Speiser
                            Still don't know squat

Comment

Can you tell me the state of your hs server?

if you startup with the insteon disabled, does it come up normally?

if you enable the insteon plugin, are you still getting the original error msg?
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                              X