Question about Keypadlinc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Keypadlinc

I'm having a problem with a 8 button keypadlinc.

I have button #1 attached to a local load and I have 6 other buttons linked to different insteon light switches. Button #8 is not linked to an insteon device.

I would like button #8 reserved for me to turn on and off via Homeseer as a
    sign of occupancy ( if its lit the house is occupied).

The problem is that the plugin seems to properly list the 7 buttons in the drop down list so that I can turn it on or offt when I am trying to create an event , but button # 8 is not listed.

How can I set that button to light up and off?

Any help appreciated . Thaanks

I don't have any 8 button keypads so I'm kind of guessing here, but I think it has to do with how keypad buttons work in general.

You can't directly control a keypad button, the Insteon protocol doesn't allow for that. Direct commands to a keypad only effect the load (and button(s) associated with the load).

When you link a button with another device it creates a group/scene and button 's light will then respond to the group/scene commands. When you do this with the ISY, the ISY adds itself to the group/scene so that it can also control the button's light.

Another way to say this is:

If you send an ON command to the keypad it turns on the load (and the light for the button associated with the load). But there isn't any way to specify in that ON command that you want it routed to a different button on the keypad.

If you send an ON command to group #100, all devices that have a link saying they are part of group #100 will respond to the ON command. Keypad buttons can be associated with a group so this is how you can turn on an individual keypad button.

This is all a long winded way of saying I think you need to create a scene group on the ISY that just has button 8 as the responder. Then you can set up your event to send on/off commands to that scene to make button 8's light go on/off to indicate occupancy.
    --
    Bob Paauwe
    ISYInsteon Plug-in
    http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

Working...
    X