HS Speak just stops speaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS Speak just stops speaking

Hi, ever since I setup homeseer hs speak has been very disappointing. I have yet to get it working correctly for the past 2 years. *If* I can actually get it to speak an event after restarting the server and re-selecting the correct soundcard, it will usually only speak a couple events and then I usually never hear anything again unless I repeat the same process above and even then its a 50-50 shot at best. However, if I create a manual speaking event and trigger it, that usually works and android connected clients do seem to work most of the time consistently I do always see the text that was spoken in the hs speak log. It seems like automatically triggered speaking events stop playing over the speaker. I am at a loss at this point and I am hoping I can get some help from the forum. My setup is as follows; quad core,4gb ram windows server 2012 r2 brand new install, with 10 usb c-media cm119 chip sound cards, connected to 10 amps and speakers, running 10 concurrent sessions of squeezelite for zone audio. homeseer also runs on this server and only one hs speak client is running locally. I have disabled exclusive mode on all sound cards, disabled zoned audio, tried running hs speak events via script and the built in speak action in homeseer. what am I doing wrong?

i have another example of the problem. yesterday, 3 speaking events triggered fine, after that i heard nothing. locally from the server i ran a test speaking event manually, i heard the speech in the proper room just fine. i purposely triggered two more speaking events, they worked fine as well, again on the next event after that i stopped hearing the speech audio. it makes no sense, and its really disappointing after spending 30 minutes here, an hour there working on this with no results for over a year now. This really sucks.

Comment

When the speaking fails are there any errors logged in the speaker apps log?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        When the speaking fails are there any errors logged in the speaker apps log?
        Hi Rupp,

If you are referring to log window in hs speak, then no, there is no error. it just shows the text that was spoken.

Comment

Are you using the SqueezeBox plugin as your speech proxy?

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
            Are you using the SqueezeBox plugin as your speech proxy?

Cheers
            Al
            I am not, I was curious it would work better that way. currently I have 8 x squeezelite exes running tied to the soundcards and I have the squeezebox plugin in homeseer but im not actually using it. homeseer and the squeezelite zones are pretty much separate on the same box. I have squeezeplugin installed but im not using it, however it is enabled. I had the no speech issue before and after I installed the plugin. I have exclusive mode disabled so squeezelite nor homeseer can take exclusive control of any of the soundcards.

Comment

Any other ideas, anyone? I tried select the speaker client for the speech action but that doesn't see to stay working either. What is interesting is if I run my manually triggered speech even, it always seems to work consistently, but when an even is triggered with speech that is setup the same way it does not speak on the speaker.

Comment

I take it that the lack of response is because know knows anything about hs.speak for some reason I guess not even the developers? Anyway moving on since I have no way to make speech work automatically when an event is triggered even after reformatting and reinstalling windows 2012 r2 and homeseer only, I guess I have to move on to make speech work another way. I am trying to use squeezebox proxy and the client shows the audio url is playing but there is no sound. Heres the log file for it if anyone cares. I did not see any errors in the log file, but I could easily be missing something.

Jan-09 3:18:03 PM SqueezeBox Debug Exiting speechTimer_Elapsed Jan-09 3:18:03 PM SqueezeBox Debug Exiting SpeakOutNextInQueue. New status: stopped. PendingSpeechTrackEnd: False Jan-09 3:18:03 PM SqueezeBox Debug StopSpeechTimer. Jan-09 3:18:03 PM SqueezeBox Debug Entering DisableSpeaking Jan-09 3:18:03 PM SqueezeBox Debug SpeakOutNextInQueue - Stopped. Jan-09 3:18:03 PM SqueezeBox Debug Entering SpeakOutNextInQueue. Status: stopping. PendingSpeechTrackEnd: False Jan-09 3:18:03 PM SqueezeBox Debug Entering speechTimer_Elapsed Jan-09 3:18:02 PM SqueezeBox Debug Exiting speechTimer_Elapsed Jan-09 3:18:02 PM SqueezeBox Debug Exiting SpeakOutNextInQueue. New status: stopping. PendingSpeechTrackEnd: False Jan-09 3:18:02 PM SqueezeBox Debug StartSpeechTimer. Duration: 0:1:0 (1000) Jan-09 3:18:02 PM SqueezeBox Debug SpeakOutNextInQueue - Stopping. Jan-09 3:18:02 PM SqueezeBox Debug SpeakOutNextInQueue - Deleting TTS URLs. Jan-09 3:18:02 PM SqueezeBox Debug Entering SpeakOutNextInQueue. Status: started. PendingSpeechTrackEnd: False Jan-09 3:18:02 PM SqueezeBox Debug Entering speechTimer_Elapsed Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug Exiting speechTimer_Elapsed Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug Exiting SpeakOutNextInQueue. New status: started. PendingSpeechTrackEnd: False Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug StartSpeechTimer. Duration: 0:0:5 (5) Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug Entering SpeakProxyUpdateDevices Jan-09 3:18:01 PM TTS Speak: (LMS:OFFICE):Want a bucket of chicken, buddy? Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug SpeakOutNextInQueue - No LMS player as Client Speaker. Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug SpeakOutNextInQueue - Added URLs: Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug SpeakOutNextInQueue - SpeakProxy. Remaining Queue Length: 0 SpeakerClient: LMS Host: LMS:OFFICE Text: Want a bucket of chicken, buddy? Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug Entering SpeakOutNextInQueue. Status: starting. PendingSpeechTrackEnd: False Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug Entering speechTimer_Elapsed Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug Exiting speechTimer_Elapsed Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug Exiting SpeakOutNextInQueue. New status: starting. PendingSpeechTrackEnd: False Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug StartSpeechTimer. Duration: 0:0:8 (8) Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug Entering EnableSpeaking, Client: LMS:OFFICE Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug SpeakOutNextInQueue - Starting. Queue Length: 1 SpeechAudioEnabled: False SpeakerClient: LMS Speak Host: LMS:OFFICE Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug Entering SpeakOutNextInQueue. Status: stopped. PendingSpeechTrackEnd: False Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug Entering speechTimer_Elapsed Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug Exiting SpeakIn. Queue Length: 1 Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug StartSpeechTimer. Duration: 0:0:4 (4) Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug Entering SpeakProxyUpdateDevices Jan-09 3:18:01 PM SqueezeBox Debug Entering SpeakIn host: LMS:OFFICE, device: 0, Text: Want a bucket of chicken, buddy? , Enabled: True Jan-09 3:18:01 PM Event Event Trigger "Arriving/Leaving Home George is a buddy" Jan-09 3:18:01 PM Event Event Arriving/Leaving Home George is a buddy triggered by the event page 'Run' button.

Comment

You stated you were not using SqueezeBox plugin as your speech proxy but the posted log shows you are. You should disable this and get back to the basic speaker app and see if this works. Then reintroduce the speech proxy later once you have this working. You may also want to post this in the SqueezeBox forum so the plugin author sees this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                    You stated you were not using SqueezeBox plugin as your speech proxy but the posted log shows you are. You should disable this and get back to the basic speaker app and see if this works. Then reintroduce the speech proxy later once you have this working. You may also want to post this in the SqueezeBox forum so the plugin author sees this issue.
                    I was not using the squeezebox plugin as I stated earlier. because I have searched high and low and spent various hours over the last year or more troubleshooting this issue and really haven't gotten any support. I decided to try something different otherwise nothing will ever change. This is where squeezebox proxy comes in. Nothing else is working so I figured this was the next step to test. Again here are the basics. I have brand new 2012 r2 installation with homeseer, hsspeak and 8 squeezelite sessions running for zoned audio, that's it. turning squeezelite off completely affects nothing, problem still occurs(no sound from default speaker client, connected androids work fine) if I trigger a speak action manually I can always here it speak on the speaker. if a speak action is triggered via an event I only hear it on androids not speaker system, yet if I go back and trigger manual event I can hear it on the default speaker, everything is hunky dory, drives me bonkers. that right there makes no sense to me, it works but doesn't. Hardware does not matter, ive used internal soundcards on 2 different motherboards, with server 2008 and now same thin on server 2012 with external usb soundcards on a hub no extra sound plugins at all until now, and no difference. The part that I just cant comprehend is if I trigger the even manually on homseer it always works great and that's awesome, but why wont an auto triggered event do it. How is the speech part on the triggered event any different. The free Logitech squeezebox software runs fine, but my $500 homeseer installation that I've now probably spent several days on throughout the time ive had it doesn't work. it is extremely frustrating really, seriously. The part that I just cant comprehend is if I trigger the event manually on homseer it always works great and that's awesome, but why wont an auto triggered event do it. How is the speech part on the triggered any different?????

Comment

At this point it's time to simplify. We know that this works for hundreds of users so it's something in your configuration. It may be time to start over with a new install and then test with a clean install. Then slowly move in your events and devices and test. Then load plugins.

Comment

Rupp, you have a good point. I already did start over from scratch twice, but both times I never tested hs speak with bare minimum. Anyway, I don't have a lot of time to try this a third time, so I went with squeebox plugin as a work around and I finally got it working on my own. The problem was the firewall. I had open port 80, 8080 incoming on the firewall on the homeseer server. I cannot believe that this was not mentioned any where. That's pretty scary imho. Hs speak still doesn't work. My best guess is it has something to do with squeezelite clients runnniong on the same system. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Comment

My setup is as follows; quad core,4gb ram windows server 2012 r2 brand new install, with 10 usb c-media cm119 chip sound cards, connected to 10 amps and speakers, running 10 concurrent sessions of squeezelite for zone audio. homeseer also runs on this server and only one hs speak client is running locally. I have disabled exclusive mode on all sound cards, disabled zoned audio, tried running hs speak events via script and the built in speak action in homeseer. what am I doing wrong?

I personally have no clue because you are doing something unique.

While it is a great idea for multiple zones of audio it is not being done by most Homeseer users today.

Rupp mentions At this point it's time to simplify.

Using 10 USB sound cards and 10 instances of Squeezelite is pushing it for one computer.

I understand that a few users are doing this to get zoned audio and it works for them.

That said it not a typical methodology of created zoned audio/speaker.exe for Homeseer.

Simplify as Rupp mentions by trying your stuff initially with 1 then 2 then 3 sound cards.

It it doesn't work with one or two then something is amiss with your set up.

Ask the person who originally documented this methodology of using multiple sound cards for audio zones. (check also the hardware CPU / Memory and OS he is running).
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

R U Administering Server Remotely?

Ok, this may be way off, but are you administering your HS3 remotely via RDP? And if so, are you breaking off the remote session by just shutting down the RDP?

In my case if I do it the conventional way I lose the speaker.

Somewhere on this board, quite a while back, I found a post that said to use the following command in a shortcut (on the HS3 server) to break off the session:
                            C:\Windows\System32\tscon.exe 1 /dest:console
                            So I simply click on that shortcut and that ensures the sound output goes through the server's sound card and out to my house intercom system.
                            Regards,
                            Chris
                            HS4 Pro 4.2.18.3 Shuttle DL10J - Celeron - 8g Ram - 250g SSD / Win 10 Pro 64 / Insteon / Z-Wave & SmartStick+ / DSC 1832 - PC5108 - IT100 / 542 devises & 164 events
                            Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.58 / APCUPSD 3.3.2.3 / BLDSC 2.0.68.0 / BLMarantz 2.0.6.0 / BLShutdown 1.0.4.0 / Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206 / Device History 3.1.3.0 / HSBuddy 3.30.1003.1 / Insteon 3.0.7.2 / weatherXML 3.0.11.13 / Z-Wave 3.0.10.0 / Z-Wave UI 1.0.0.0

Comment

I was going to say remote desktop too.
                              https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Working...
                              X