No announcement yet.

Do I need to port forward - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've attached a screen shot of my security settings to see if anyone can see something wrong with them.

Thanks,

John
    Attached Files

Comment

Uncheck your two firewalls and give it a go.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by jonjonbear View Post
        Question, if you put it in DMZ mode, and it works just fine, wouldn't that indicate that the problem is not the windows firewall but instead, something to do with the router? I've never made any changes to the windows firewall so that should be the same as it always was. Given the DMZ worked, that eliminates the router completely and sends requests directly to the computer, yes? Just wanted to see if I am right here or not. If this is the case, then I need to figure out what is going on in the router that only affects HS3 (so far)
        Thanks,
        John
        Apologies, all versions of windows OS (XP and newer) have a software firewall. your Linksys router also has a firewall. so, effectively you have two firewalls when you follow the path from the internet to your HS3 server.

putting the IP address of your HS3 server on the DMZ means that you effectively bypass the firewall rules on the linksys router. while that confirmed that your linksys firewall is likely the component that is blocking the traffic. I wouldn't recommend keeping the HS3 server on the DMZ. I don't have much faith that the Windows software firewall would protect a PC on the public Internet and thus would not recommend leaving the IP in the DMZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          Uncheck your two firewalls and give it a go.
          Hi Rupp,
          Tried it. Also tried unchecking various things on that security page and got nothing. The only way I can get it to work is to put the box through the DMZ. This is driving me crazy..

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
            Apologies, all versions of windows OS (XP and newer) have a software firewall. your Linksys router also has a firewall. so, effectively you have two firewalls when you follow the path from the internet to your HS3 server.

putting the IP address of your HS3 server on the DMZ means that you effectively bypass the firewall rules on the linksys router. while that confirmed that your linksys firewall is likely the component that is blocking the traffic. I wouldn't recommend keeping the HS3 server on the DMZ. I don't have much faith that the Windows software firewall would protect a PC on the public Internet and thus would not recommend leaving the IP in the DMZ.
            Agreed. I sure don't want to leave this computer wide open. Can't imagine what the heck is causing this. We know it's the router, but I can't figure out what. Even turning off all the firewall settings doesn't fix it. Oddly HS3 is the only web-accessed application I have that is having problems.

Comment

I've attached a screen shot of my security settings to see if anyone can see something wrong with them.

Thanks,

John

What happens when you uncheck the "filter anonymous Internet requests"? Linksys support says that this setting denies echo (ping) requests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do I need to port forward?

It might be time to put the HS3 server in the DMZ and run a packet capture. I can run one when I get home too. It should be pretty easy to add an inbound rule that allows the MYHS traffic from the MYHS IP address to your HS3 server. Hard part will be piecing together if there are multiple sources for MYHS and if they use a large block of ports to communicate back with the HS3 server on.

Comment

What happens when you uncheck the "filter anonymous Internet requests"? Linksys support says that this setting denies echo (ping) requests.

Tried that, didn't affect it. I've posted on the Linksys forum too so we'll see if they know anything that might help.

Comment

It might be time to put the HS3 server in the DMZ and run a packet capture. I can run one when I get home too. It should be pretty easy to add an inbound rule that allows the MYHS traffic from the MYHS IP address.

Ooops..Now you went over my head :-(

Comment

Did you try unchecking the VPN Passthrough options? Just a WAG; I'm just not clear on what those do or how they might affect the MyHS tunnel.

BTW, an inbound rule isn't going to fix this; there is no inbound connections involved in the MyHS protocol.

Comment

Well I have it settled down. After some emails back and forth with the Linksys forum, the guy had me port forward to the HS box, and I un-checked "Filter anonymous internet requests".
                        He wanted me to do a port reservation but it has a static IP address.
                        It still disconnects every so often and re-connects, but appears so far to stay on most of the time. Hopefully it will stay this way. So far it's let me log on every time.

Thanks for all the brainstorming guys!

John

Comment

.... After some emails back and forth with the Linksys forum, the guy had me port forward to the HS box, ...
                          I hope you understand that the port forward means that either (depending what what port is forwarded) your HS web interface or your HSTouch port is exposed to the entire internet; same as putting your HS server in a DMZ.

Which is what MyHS is designed to prevent.
                          Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
                          Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
                          Number of Devices: 633
                          Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
                          2.0.54.0: BLBackup
                          2.0.40.0: BLLAN
                          3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
                          30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
                          3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
                          3.0.0.87: weatherXML
                          3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post
                            I hope you understand that the port forward means that either (depending what what port is forwarded) your HS web interface or your HSTouch port is exposed to the entire internet; same as putting your HS server in a DMZ.

Which is what MyHS is designed to prevent.
                            Hi Len,
                            It's port 88. Yeah I figured that was likely the case, but it's the only way I can get it to work.I might try taking it back out and see what happens. I tried this yesterday and it made no difference. Maybe there was some other issue that cleared itself. I'll give it a try. Can always put it back.

Comment

Do I need to port forward?

What port are you running your HS3 management interface on? Also, are you running the management interface SSL Encrypted (I hear this is possible in windows installs). Have you enabled anti-hack in HS3?

Comment

What port are you running your HS3 management interface on?

Port 88

Comment

Working...
                                X