Custom Google Home Agent for HomeSeer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Google Home Agent for HomeSeer

I've been issuing commands to Google Home using IFTTT but I really wanted to inquire about status and devices and have more of a conversation with Google Home.

Since direct control for HomeSeer from Google Home isn't yet available, I created an agent for Google Home using API.AI and a Node.js server. If anyone is interested in this, I can share how I did it and post my JavaScript (Node.js) code.

The way it works in Google Home when you create an agent is you say "OK Google, talk to <agent name>." I named my agent "The Wizard," so I say "OK Google, talk to the Wizard" and control transfers to my agent.

My agent handles queries such as:
    • What is the temperature in the office?
    • How about the humidity?
    • What about in the garage?
    • Is anyone in the basement?
    • Is the garage door closed?
    • Is the kitchen door locked?
    • Battery check.

And the agent also implements the commands you would expect, such as:
    • Turn off the outside light.
    • Lock the basement door.
    • Set the thermostat to 69 degrees.
    • Open the garage door.

This will probably only appeal to those of you who are comfortable with JavaScript and can get a Node server instance up to run the program.

Out of curiosity, are you just passing the detected phrase to HS to let it do the parsing (or using JonOOs "alexa helper" which should also work for this)?

Comment

No. The API.AI component interacts with Google Home to understand the spoken commands and parse out the components. Then, API.AI sends that information to a Node.js server I wrote, and the Node server handles the additional conversation with Google Home (it remains in a conversation until you say Thank You or Goodbye) and it simply makes JSON calls to HomeSeer to get the information, such as temperature or light status, and to implement the commands.

It's very Google Home-specific, and is the Google Developers-recommended way of creating a Google Home agent.

Comment

Comment

Working...
        X