Cannot open COM port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot open COM port

I just got my SmartStick+ and installed it according the included instructions. I can see it under "Ports (COM & LPT)" where it is listed as "UZB (COM4)". However, when I start HS3 v3.0.0280 I get the following error in the window "HSPI_ZWave.exe"

Error: SmartStick+: Cannot open COM port COM4, exiting. Ex=Access to the port 'COM4' is denied.

I do not access this port from any other program (I also rebooted the computer just to make sure). I have no anti-virus program installed except for Malwarebytes (if you want to count this as antivirus software).

Any help is appreciated.

Standard BIOS irq allocations share one irq between COM1 and COM3 and another between COM2 and COM4. You usually can't use COM2 and COM4 simultaneously since your motherboard usually ties COM2 up for a DB9 connector. You should be able to Google a solution from there.

Comment

Thanks for the input. My computer only lists COM1 and COM3 as being assigned in the device manager. Hence, there shouldn't be any conflict with COM4 as COM2 isn't listed. In any case, in Device Manager I did change the port to 27 and made the appropriate adjustment in HS3. I am still getting the same error except that now it says COM27

Comment

Then it must be a permissions problem. I think you can start at Device Manager and click your way to the driver which shows permissions if I remember correctly. I don't have a Windows machine running at the moment.

Interestingly related. I reinstalled HS3 yesterday/today and my Aeon Z-wave gen 5 would not talk to anything. Attached to the USB or not. So today I fired up my trusty Windows XP compatible with everything machine and downloaded the Aeotec driver and IMA tool. Goofed around with the stick in Windows for a bit then took it back to my HS on Linux and it worked. Why? Got me.

Comment

Well, after another few hours of trying (uninstalling, installing, changing sequences of doing things, etc) and searching the internet I still can't get this to work. I called HomeSeer but of course their office closed about 30 minutes before I called. Any other ideas are appreciated.

Comment

I would throw out more ideas but I don't think I'm coming up with any you haven't tried already. When I am stuck where you are at I usually try in a different OS. Is that an option? Not necessarily a Homeseer installation, just some way to communicate with it. It always seems to me that it gets easier after they talk a little about pretty much anything.

Comment

I am having the same issue. In my case, I have been running HS3 on a Virtualbox VM using an old Z-Troller hooked to a USB-to-Serial adapter. Everything was working well. However, my Z-Troller is needing to be restarted periodically, so I purchased a Smartstick+. I followed the instructions to remove the Z-Troller and the adapter from the host machine and installed the Smartstick. It seemed to work fine until I started to restore the network. I had long delays and errors in the process. It eventually showed that the controller was off line and when I attempted to enable it again, it gave the access denied message. I spent about 4 hours uninstalling, reinstalling, trying different com ports, etc. I finally went through the process of reinstalling the old Z-Troller which promptly came on line without issues.

I will be returning the not-so-SmartStick+.

Comment

I realized that Internet Explorer stopped working (Edge was still working fine). I then got suspicious about my system so I tried it on a different computer. On that other computer things worked fine. This 'new' computer runs Win7 whereas the previous computer runs Win10. While that could be a reason for the issues, I suspect the problem is that my system is somehow corrupted.

Comment

My VM computer is on Win10. The Z-Troller->Serial-to-USB adapter should look very close to the SmartStick. I did try the SmartStick with both the built-in Windows driver and the downloaded driver. Perhaps I will give it another try before giving up.

Comment

Working...
                  X