Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HomeSeer crashes from Sonos plugin, memory leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
    I'd say your handles may be growing, based upon what you just posted. Keep monitoring the handles used by HS for several days.

tenholde
    Agree with tenholde, they seem to increase so monitor it over a longer period.

Dirk

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
      Agree with tenholde, they seem to increase so monitor it over a longer period.

Dirk

Well, I am up to 1672 as of this morning. I guess you are right, its increasing. But where do I go from here?

Felix

Comment

What is working for me is to turn off auto discovery and I run an event once daily to do discovery.

Tenholde
        tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by chubafelix View Post
          Well, I am up to 1672 as of this morning. I guess you are right, its increasing. But where do I go from here?

Felix
          Felix,

how many players are on-line. The amount of handles you lose isn't that big, it actually looks a different signature than what we saw on Tenholde's Vista machine, but it is XP versus Vista and on Vista it is # machines dependent.

So here is what I would recommend but feel free to do it in a different sequence:

1. Look at handles of other application and memory of other applications. (do ctrl print screen and keep it) and see if there are other offenders. How is the memory in use by HS holding up?
          2. I would disable plug-ins one by one, starting with the Sonos plugin, see if that stops the leaking. If not, try other plugins. Alternatively, you can disable all plug-ins and enable then one-by-one.
          3. If all still points to the Sonos plugin, first upgrade to v.83 if that's possible. While doing the analysis with Tenholde, I do believe I cleaned up some minor issue.
          4. If that makes no difference, disable the auto-discovery and see if that takes care of the problem.

Hope this helps, do post your results if you don't mind, could be very helpful for other users.

Thanks

Dirk

Comment

tested

Hi Dirk,

i did some Handles testing using a plugin called PerfMon. Tts very good actually, http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=123268

Here are results from about 3 days. They show that Handles increase but go back down. This is a graph of all my plugins with only one exception, Sonos plugin. So, this seems to point out that i need to do something about the memory leak in Sonos.

Let me know what you think, Dirk. Also, what about virtual memory?

f
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dirk,

i did some Handles testing using a plugin called PerfMon. Tts very good actually, http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=123268

Here are results from about 3 days. They show that Handles increase but go back down. This is a graph of all my plugins with only one exception, Sonos plugin. So, this seems to point out that i need to do something about the memory leak in Sonos.

Let me know what you think, Dirk. Also, what about virtual memory?

f
              Hi Felix,

Can you run it for the next 3 days with the Sonos plugin active.
              Not sure what your question is on Virtual memory, doesn't Jon's plugin track that as well?

Dirk

Comment

Hi Felix, any progress?

I was finally able to locate an older PC in the house and get it wired-up. It was an Atom based unit with XP on it. I used it a while back as my homeseer PC and it still had Homeseer Pro v2.4xx on it and Sonos plugin v.47.
                I let it run for a while and it would lose about 60~70 handles in about 7 hours. Not sure whether it was the plugin or Homeseer where handles would get lost.

I then upgraded it to HS version 2.5x and Sonos plugin .79 (latest on the updater). Lost about 25 handles in 2 hours so looked very much the same.

Because the PC hadn't run for a while, I upgraded XP with the latest patches. As of last week, a bunch of .NET fixes were delivered. Had it run overnight and looked better. Had about 50 handles less after almost 12 hours.

This morning went to the latest Sonos plugin beta .83, in which I made some minor changes after working with tenholde on his PC and my handles were pretty much the same when I got home tonight. I did turn off detailed debugging so I hope that didn't affect my measurement.

So if you still see dribbling handles, upgrade to latest XP (.NET) patches, go to .83 and see if that stabilizes things.

Cheers,

Dirk

Comment

Hi Felix, any progress?

I was finally able to locate an older PC in the house and get it wired-up. It was an Atom based unit with XP on it. I used it a while back as my homeseer PC and it still had Homeseer Pro v2.4xx on it and Sonos plugin v.47.
                  I let it run for a while and it would lose about 60~70 handles in about 7 hours. Not sure whether it was the plugin or Homeseer where handles would get lost.

I then upgraded it to HS version 2.5x and Sonos plugin .79 (latest on the updater). Lost about 25 handles in 2 hours so looked very much the same.

Because the PC hadn't run for a while, I upgraded XP with the latest patches. As of last week, a bunch of .NET fixes were delivered. Had it run overnight and looked better. Had about 50 handles less after almost 12 hours.

This morning went to the latest Sonos plugin beta .83, in which I made some minor changes after working with tenholde on his PC and my handles were pretty much the same when I got home tonight. I did turn off detailed debugging so I hope that didn't affect my measurement.

So if you still see dribbling handles, upgrade to latest XP (.NET) patches, go to .83 and see if that stabilizes things.

Cheers,

Dirk

Dirk, thanks for the checking and sorry, was not connecting for a while.

But, in all this time, I did continue to track the problem. At this point, i am certain that specifically the SONOS plugin is "loosing handles" or increasing the amount of memory used. I used the UltraMon plugin to save data which i graphed in a spread sheet, I can send to you. My results are based on the following:

I am running PRO100 with Windows XP embedded. As you probably know, I don't have much choice in terms of how much physical memory I have and what is installed from the OS.

My suspection has been in plugins which use UPnP. I do have a vast network of devices at home (including multiple routers, etc) so, my concern was the amount of resources used by plugins dealing with various devices on my network. I always prefer manual setting of device addresses, etc.

I isolated two pugins, SONOS and UltraMon, both use UPNP extensively. I ran HomeSeer and all plugins without Sonos and UltraMon for 5 days. Number of handles and memory did not increase. Stayed within 10% of original value (at startup).

I tried UltraMon and Sonos individually. The result showed an increase in handles and available memory when Sonos plugin was enabled.

Finally, I disabled all that you recemended in Sonos. Still, the problem exists. In fact, i watched one instance, when I pressed on Sonos Config under Plugin menu and I watched the number of handles at same time. The number incresed by 15% and never recovered. This is just from going to the Sonos Config page of Sonos plugin.

I can provide to you all my configuration and anything else you would like me to provide. I've got to fix this problem because I do not have a way to increase the avaialbel memory in PRO100. Please suggest what can be done? I can make my PRO100 available to you online.

Look forward to your next comments, Felix

Comment

i am certain that specifically the SONOS plugin is "loosing handles" or increasing the amount of memory used. I used the UltraMon plugin to save data which i graphed in a spread sheet, I can send to you.
                    Please email me the graphs. If you lose hundreds of handles a day, something else is not good. A few won't crash your machine at all.

Finally, I disabled all that you recommended in Sonos. Still, the problem exists. In fact, i watched one instance, when I pressed on Sonos Config under Plugin menu and I watched the number of handles at same time. The number incresed by 15% and never recovered. This is just from going to the Sonos Config page of Sonos plugin
                    If you disable the polling and no music is playing and your count keeps on going up than it can't be the UPNP part, the only thing else running is the pinging but I've ruled that out in each case I looked at it.

Now the config part or any of the music device pages is a different animal. Here you should look for increase over increase. When you create these webpages, objects do get created, memories to hold information on the server are being allocated, but that should either timeout and get released or once created, not further increase. Now were are in the world of webservers and clients and part of HS functions, you'd probably see the same with other plugins as well. The music device page could trigger quite a bit of memory to be allocated depending on the amount of track information is being put in that table. So if you have 50,000 tracks and you selected all tracks, you are going to see the memory jump a good bit. Again this is plain vanilla webserver stuff and it should get released after it times out on the server.

I do not have a way to increase the available memory in PRO100. Please suggest what can be done?
                    Please send me those stats, I had so far one guy who had a bad case and with the latest beta and turning off rediscoveries, his handles (it wasn't memory) remained stable. How much memory do you have on the PRO100 anyway? I have 7 zone and 10~15 UPnP devices active on my network and my HS memory use is pretty rock solid around 50Mb.

Dirk

Comment

Please email me the graphs. If you lose hundreds of handles a day, something else is not good. A few won't crash your machine at all.

If you disable the polling and no music is playing and your count keeps on going up than it can't be the UPNP part, the only thing else running is the pinging but I've ruled that out in each case I looked at it.

Now the config part or any of the music device pages is a different animal. Here you should look for increase over increase. When you create these webpages, objects do get created, memories to hold information on the server are being allocated, but that should either timeout and get released or once created, not further increase. Now were are in the world of webservers and clients and part of HS functions, you'd probably see the same with other plugins as well. The music device page could trigger quite a bit of memory to be allocated depending on the amount of track information is being put in that table. So if you have 50,000 tracks and you selected all tracks, you are going to see the memory jump a good bit. Again this is plain vanilla webserver stuff and it should get released after it times out on the server.

Please send me those stats, I had so far one guy who had a bad case and with the latest beta and turning off rediscoveries, his handles (it wasn't memory) remained stable. How much memory do you have on the PRO100 anyway? I have 7 zone and 10~15 UPnP devices active on my network and my HS memory use is pretty rock solid around 50Mb.

Dirk

Dirk,

Sorry again for lack of follow up. The buttom line is: its really hard to pin down what is going on with handles and memory usage. The number of handles seem to go up and then go down and then go up again. There is no way of knowing which plugin is using how many handles, etc. So, it takes for ever to enable, disable, restart, etc. Takes at least 3 to 5 days to judge weather number of handles really increased or not. I am not certain that the increase is due to your plugin specifically. More importantly, i am not certain that the increase is the cause of the problem in my case. It could be that because the amount of memory on PRO100 is limited and there is NO WAY to increase, i am just bumpin up against lack of memory on a specific cycle of increase/decrease.

I wish there was a way to simply limit each component to how much memory it can consume. Homeseer next version seems to have a plan in that direction. Don't know what else to say.

F

Comment

Dirk,

Sorry again for lack of follow up. The buttom line is: its really hard to pin down what is going on with handles and memory usage. The number of handles seem to go up and then go down and then go up again. There is no way of knowing which plugin is using how many handles, etc. So, it takes for ever to enable, disable, restart, etc. Takes at least 3 to 5 days to judge weather number of handles really increased or not. I am not certain that the increase is due to your plugin specifically. More importantly, i am not certain that the increase is the cause of the problem in my case. It could be that because the amount of memory on PRO100 is limited and there is NO WAY to increase, i am just bumpin up against lack of memory on a specific cycle of increase/decrease.

I wish there was a way to simply limit each component to how much memory it can consume. Homeseer next version seems to have a plan in that direction. Don't know what else to say.

F
                        If you are still running on XP, here are my recommendations: turn 5 minute discoveries off and use the discover Player button on the rare occasion when you add a new player to the setup.

Dirk
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X