Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rob - Can you share a few cool events you use for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rob - Can you share a few cool events you use for this?

I just downloaded this and connected it to my router... got all the devices. Now, I'm at a loss for what to do with it!! Care to share a few examples?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Hi Mark!

For me, DD-WRT was a great stepping off point on plugin development. I chose an external device to populate HS devices and it works pretty well, updating those device values every minute or so. Once you have those devices in HS, you can write your own events based on those values.

So, for each device:
    You can have an event notify you if you start getting lots of Tx or Rx errors which might indicate network troubles.
    Track your WAN IP address and alert you if changed - this could be useful if you are on DHCP with your ISP and they give you a new IP address.
    Monitor your DHCP leases and alert you if you are running out.

One feature I wanted was to be notified if a particular MAC address had connected or disconnected and boot them off. Unfortunately, the DD-WRT API doesnt expose that functionality, but you can still be notified if a particular MAC connects/disconnects by examining the device string.

It was a very good app to get my feet wet with HS plugin development!
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Rob - here are a few things I'm wondering...

If there a way to trigger an event when my phone connects to WiFi? If so, how would that work? What device/values should I add to the event? I can use that kind of event to tell when one of my family members is at home.

I see there's an event action to reboot the router. I'm guessing I could create an event based on the "disconnected" wan status to reboot the router to try to restore the wan connection. Does that seem reasonable?

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post

If there a way to trigger an event when my phone connects to WiFi? If so, how would that work? What device/values should I add to the event? I can use that kind of event to tell when one of my family members is at home.
        I second this!
        Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

You can do this - but only via scripting:

Create an event to trigger when the device containing MAC addresses changes.
          Run this script (pseudocode):

if(hs.DeviceString(123).Contains("some mac address")) then hs.TriggerEvent("Notify Me When Phone Connected")

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
            You can do this - but only via scripting:

Create an event to trigger when the device containing MAC addresses changes.
            Run this script (pseudocode):

if(hs.DeviceString(123).Contains("some mac address")) then hs.TriggerEvent("Notify Me When Phone Connected")
            I'm not a programmer, so this may take a little explanation. I assume "123" is a device reference number? Per the screen shot below, would that be 160 in my case? What if I wanted to be notified when someone leaves the house?

The string value in the screen shot is just an example right? If I had 15 devices connected, it would just show the data from one of them, right?
            Attached Files

Comment

Yep - 123 was just a dummy reference number.
              To tell if someone left, or is no longer in that list, you would probably need to setup a virtual device and have an event set that when the person left.

Rather than go through this exercise, HS Triggers would be a better way to do this. I am just now working with triggers in the HAI plugin, so maybe I can add that functionality to this plugin at a later time.

Comment

Yep - 123 was just a dummy reference number.
                To tell if someone left, or is no longer in that list, you would probably need to setup a virtual device and have an event set that when the person left.

Rather than go through this exercise, HS Triggers would be a better way to do this. I am just now working with triggers in the HAI plugin, so maybe I can add that functionality to this plugin at a later time.
                This would be a really cool built-in feature and I would definitely be all over it. In my case, I would add virtual devices for all family members with status icons (probably headshots) to display them on my kitchen touchscreen. That would tell me at a glance who was home. I would also add some events to ensure bedroom lights (and other devices) were off when the kids were out of the house.

I'm not sure how many HomeSeer users have a DDWRT router, but I'm guessing the number is a lot higher than those who have an HAI panel! hint hint

Comment

This would be a really cool built-in feature and I would definitely be all over it. In my case, I would add virtual devices for all family members with status icons (probably headshots) to display them on my kitchen touchscreen. That would tell me at a glance who was home. I would also add some events to ensure bedroom lights (and other devices) were off when the kids were out of the house.

I'm not sure how many HomeSeer users have a DDWRT router, but I'm guessing the number is a lot higher than those who have an HAI panel! hint hint
                  Ha! You're probably right!
                  I'll make a note to add this functionality as I have time...

Comment

Take you time... anytime next week is fine!

Comment

Rob - have you had any time to work on this? curious...

Comment

Rob - have you had any time to work on this? curious...
                        No [emoji22] work has me totally consumed right now.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

Comment

No [emoji22] work has me totally consumed right now.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
                          OK, I'll try to get this working with a script then. I assume it's the wlActiveWireless device that I draw the reference number and mac address value from?

Comment

to clarify, I would use this to get notified when someone's phone is detected on WiFi: if(hs.DeviceString(123).Contains("some mac address")) then hs.TriggerEvent("Notify Me When Phone Connected")

What would be the syntax for detected that the phone has left the network?

Comment

OK, I'll try to get this working with a script then. I assume it's the wlActiveWireless device that I draw the reference number and mac address value from?
                              I believe that is correct. It's the device that holds all your 'active' MACs.

Comment

Working...
                              X