Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wire for the Open Air Mic

Hello,

Its time for me to get the wires for Open Air Microphone for prewiring.
    I am trying to emulate what Paul (pkoslow) has done.

I remember Paul posted the specifications of mic wires somewhere but I am not able to find it. Have been searching for almost 1 hrs. Any help would be appreciated.

I think he mentioned 22 gauge 5 conductor wire. 2 condutors for mic, 2 conductors for a future push button and 1 condutor for phantom power... This is all I can remember.

Paul Please help. Any help for the right specification and place to buy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shaurya

Hi Shaurya,

There are probably dozens of different cables that you can use for connecting the mics, but I can recommend Belden 8450. It's stiff and nice and small in diameter which makes it easy to run through walls.

Here is a link to the post where I shared the wire info:
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...highlight=wire

Here is the info from the thread....

Wire for PZM-11 mics: I checked this morning and am using Belden 8450 cable to connect all my mics. It's 22ga shielded wire and is easy to install becasie it's small in diameter (about the size of a mouse cable). I see that Hometech sells it for $75.00 per 500ft box. I can't remember what I paid for mine... you might be able to find for less if you shop around.

Belden 8450 at hometech.com (Scroll to the bottom)

iAutomate also sells mic wire that will work just fine:
    http://www.iautomate.com/mic_wire.html

Cheers,
    Paul<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
    Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Thanks Paul, Truly appreciate it.

I checked it. It is a 2 condutor wire with a drain. This will be good for Mic. If I want to prewire for a push switch, I would need aditional 2 conductors.

So I am looking for a 4 condutor with a drain. Do you happen to know a particular one to recommend.

Once again thanks again for rescuing me.

Shaurya

Comment

Found it at Marsh Electronics

Just wanted to update that I have found it

The specs are http://www.colemancable.com/catalog/Data87a.htm

Its a 4 conductor shielded with a drain wire.
        http://www.aedwis.com/colemancable.html#shielded

Thanks Paul for your help. Shaurya

Comment

Shaurya,

I'm not doing anything with push-to-talk switches, but it looks like the cable you found will work.

I may suggest though that you consider running a separate 2-conductor wire for you switch. The reason is unless you plan to have your microphone and push-to-talk switch located at exactly the same spot it will be difficult o split the pairs out. Same at the other end... it may get messy to connect to your mic mixer if all the wires are in one cable.

For example: I ran 4-conductor wire to my doors (one pair for magnetic contact and the other pair to power the electronic lock). In the end I wish I had run 2 separate cables because it was a pain to split at the door and then again in my wiring panel because each pair needed to hook to different equipment.

Paul

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
          Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

22-2 is fine but you really need SHIELDED wire for mics. Something like this for $46/500 feet will work fine - http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...6&cat=0&page=1
            Martin Custer

Comment

Paul,

You have a very good point but now I have already orderd it and running short of time due to sheetrock schedule on which I have little control. As I have already ordered it, I guess I will now do two home runs, say 1 for the switch near the bed and 1 for the mic opposite the bed.

Thanks for this tip. I will keep it in mind. Funny part is no matter how much reading on these forums you do, you keep learning new thing or miss a few things.

Hello Martin,

I looked on your site first for the wire and found it be cheapest as well but couldn't find the 4 conductor one as recommeded everywhere on this forum and on Jim Lipsit website for mic with switch. I wish I could have gone with you as Paul has suggested, buying the 4 conductor may not be prudent choice but unfortunately I can't undo it due to short time.

Rest assured as I heard so much good stuff about you. Do you order products on request as well if you don't stock it. If yes then I can call you in future for my needs.

Thanks again.
              Shaurya

Comment

Working...
              X