www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > 3rd Party Plug-Ins/Scripts > Plug-ins by Author > Click Here for List of Author Forums > Ultra Scripts and Plug-Ins > UltraPioneerAVR HSPI

UltraPioneerAVR HSPI Discussion area for the UltraPioneerAVR HSPI supporting the Pioneer AVR Receivers.

Old March 7th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Seer

Guest network solution didnt work for me. Receiver still drops, so I'm still in the trial and error phase. Maybe my router doesn't handle it well. Tried a firewall setting in my router, didnt work but I made a change to it now I'm waiting til tomorrow to see if it fails again (it prolly will) before going to plan-H.
Old March 8th, 2017, 05:29 AM
Seer Deluxe

Make sure your guest network is setup as Internet only and can not reach you regular lan with the Pioneers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 8th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Seer

Alright so bear with me...My D-Link router has a box called "enable routing between zones"associated with the guest account. If this is unticked then guests (Alexa in this case) should not be able to access the rest of the network. As I said, this did not work for me, as Alexa still killed the receiver.
Since others seemed to have success with the guest network solution, I was just about to go buy another router when I realized something else. I have a smartthings hub in the house and Alexa controls my automation stuff through it. It seems like this won't work with the guest network thing. Alexa communicates the automation commands via wifi to the router, then from the router to the switch, to to the smartthings hub. If Alexa's wifi access is limited to internet only then theoretically communication to the hub should be blocked.
Why not just try it you ask? I did. Alexa still killed the receiver, but the hub still worked fine so I deleted the guest account. Given the above theory, at the time I did not understand how the hub could still be communicating, but now I wonder if the setting to block guest access to the LAN is even working at-all. If I buy a new router which fixes the receiver problem but prevents the smartthings hub from working then my problem remains. Thanks for listening
Old March 9th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Seer Deluxe

My Dlink DIR-880l works great but i use HomeSeer and Alexa routed control it it via Internet so isolating Alexa to a guest internet only account works.

Maybe the Alexa to Smartthings hub works in a similar way via Internet and cloud services.

Old March 12th, 2017, 10:17 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch340Duster View Post
Alright so bear with me...My D-Link router has a box called "enable routing between zones"associated with the guest account. If this is unticked then guests (Alexa in this case) should not be able to access the rest of the network. As I said, this did not work for me, as Alexa still killed the receiver.
Since others seemed to have success with the guest network solution, I was just about to go buy another router when I realized something else. I have a smartthings hub in the house and Alexa controls my automation stuff through it. It seems like this won't work with the guest network thing. Alexa communicates the automation commands via wifi to the router, then from the router to the switch, to to the smartthings hub. If Alexa's wifi access is limited to internet only then theoretically communication to the hub should be blocked.
Why not just try it you ask? I did. Alexa still killed the receiver, but the hub still worked fine so I deleted the guest account. Given the above theory, at the time I did not understand how the hub could still be communicating, but now I wonder if the setting to block guest access to the LAN is even working at-all. If I buy a new router which fixes the receiver problem but prevents the smartthings hub from working then my problem remains. Thanks for listening
The original post provides a $62 solution to the problem.
Old March 14th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Viewer

Ultrajones, Thank you for posting this fix as I found it searching for why my VSX-53 stopped working after buying the Echo dots. Found a used Netgear GS108T on Ebay for $40. Never used a managed switch before. Followed your screen shots and figured out how to assign the rule to port 1. Had to read the Netgear manual to figure that last piece out as it was not in your screen shot instructions. All is good now, and I learned a little bit more on networking. Thanks for sharing!
Old April 6th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Seer

Final Update from Me

I promised to report back so I'll summarize with bullet points.

Pioneer VSX1123 Receiver intermittently loses network connection requiring hard "reboot"

This thread indicated Alexa causing the problem. Troubleshooting verified this. Some say it will happen every 30 minutes and/or whenever discovering devices. In my case it was more like every 24 hours, and a manual device discovery would NOT create the problem.

Had a D-Link router. Created a guest network and unticked "enable routing between zones". This DID NOT prevent Alexa from killing the receiver.

Bought Netgear managed switch GS724T (decided against the 108 so-that I would not have to add another device to the system). Spent several days with this, finally cutting my losses. ACL setup is more complicated than it is with the 108. Nothing I did worked. Whenever I associated any ACL's or traffic rules to the physical port the receiver is connected to, all devices would either still connect to the receiver or none would. I was never able to isolate the tablet as being the only device allowed into the receiver or to bar Alexa from the rest of my network. Ugh.

Tried a new router, this time a Netgear AC1750. After having to reconfigure lots of stuff because of new ip addresses (another ugh) the guest network trick now definitely works for me.

Weird thing is that Alexa still communicates with Smartthings hub, which is an ethernet device .

Thanks again for everyone's help and input.
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Seer

thanks for sharing

out of curiosity , what are you using the plug in for?
I also own a VSX 1123
Old April 29th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Seer

plugin

I do not have any homeseer products but he was nice-enough to allow me to post here.
Old July 28th, 2017, 01:44 AM
Viewer

Possible cause and my workaround

I have Dots and Sony SA-NS400 wifi speakers. When the dots do a discovery, the speakers go offline and sometimes do not make it back on the network. Wireshark and the Intel Device Sniffer for UPNP show the dots sending an SSDP packet that is malformed, per the UPNP spec. The Search Target is to be a domain name, but the dots are sending:

M-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1
HOST: 239.255.255.250:1900
MAN: "ssdp:discover"
MX: 15
ST: urn:Belkin:device:**

Using netcat to send this packet, I can recreate this issue. I have a ticket open with Amazon's Technical Support and the development group is supposed to call in 3-5 days. I searched all over for people reporting the same thing, and this thread looked like the closest thing. I'm curious if any of you can reproduce this packet and see if it does not cause the issues you are seeing.

For the time being, I've blocked SSDP from the dots on the interface where the speakers are. I created a guest network that was open to the rest of my network. Then put the following in for each of the dots, replacing X.X.X.X with the IP:
Code:
ebtables -I FORWARD -o wl0.1 --protocol IPv4 --ip-source X.X.X.X --ip-destination 239.255.255.250 -j DROP
This allows the dots to get to discover everything else, and allows anything else to discover the speakers.
Old July 29th, 2017, 09:20 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5iver View Post
I have Dots and Sony SA-NS400 wifi speakers. When the dots do a discovery, the speakers go offline and sometimes do not make it back on the network. Wireshark and the Intel Device Sniffer for UPNP show the dots sending an SSDP packet that is malformed, per the UPNP spec. The Search Target is to be a domain name, but the dots are sending:

M-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1

Using netcat to send this packet, I can recreate this issue. I have a ticket open with Amazon's Technical Support and the development group is supposed to call in 3-5 days. I searched all over for people reporting the same thing, and this thread looked like the closest thing. I'm curious if any of you can reproduce this packet and see if it does not cause the issues you are seeing.

For the time being, I've blocked SSDP from the dots on the interface where the speakers are. I created a guest network that was open to the rest of my network. Then put the following in for each of the dots, replacing X.X.X.X with the IP:
Code:
ebtables -I FORWARD -o wl0.1 --protocol IPv4 --ip-source X.X.X.X --ip-destination 239.255.255.250 -j DROP
This allows the dots to get to discover everything else, and allows anything else to discover the speakers.
Hello. Can you post the netcat command you used so I confirm the network interfaces on my Pioneer Receivers reset when sent the SSDP packet?

Regards.
Ultrajones
Old July 29th, 2017, 09:36 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5iver View Post

M-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1
The Search Target above appears to be valid. Not sure about the two asterisk characters in the ST field. The UPnP Device Architecture 2.0 document doesn't mention the use of asterisk characters in that field.
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:58 PM
Seer Deluxe

Back again. I recently upgraded and ditched my old Dlink router. Now have a new Ubiquity Edgerouter POE-5 and two AC-PRO Access points. Still have an old 16 port unmanaged switch until I get the Ubiquity one and complete the setup. Everything Works for now.

Anybody good at Ubiquity Router Firewall configuration? Need to implement this fix on this router. Single Pioneer receiver SC-1223 static at 192.168.2.49. Router is 192.168.2.1.

Three amazon devices, 1 Echo and 2 Dots. Currently DHPC but can make those static as well. Have that part of the Ubiquity figured out. I have been busy watching video and reading up to learn more on the Ubiquity product line.
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:54 PM
OverSeer

I just purchased the 24 port and 8 port UniFi switches. Simple connect the pioneer to the switch, then enable port isolation.
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Seer Deluxe

Have not purchased the Unifi switch yet. Just the Edgerouter POE5 and AP.

Eth2 is used and setup and plugged into old unmanaged 16 port switch. All 15 house ports are plugged into this old switch. Pioneer is one of the devices in this switch.

Old October 12th, 2017, 08:11 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by srodgers View Post
Have not purchased the Unifi switch yet. Just the Edgerouter POE5 and AP.

Eth2 is used and setup and plugged into old unmanaged 16 port switch. All 15 house ports are plugged into this old switch. Pioneer is one of the devices in this switch.

Okay. The only way to prevent the Pioneer from resetting it's interface is to suppress the broadcast packet. Not sure how to do it with the equipment you have.
Old October 12th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Seer Deluxe

I am reading and trying to understand the Ubiquity way of doing firewall rules. Very steep learning curve for a non networking/computer engineer.

I think have it partially blocked as now it does the discovery packet and knocks the pioneer receiver off line but now it comes back by itself and the plugin reconnects.

Before it went down hard and needed a power cycle.

Old October 12th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Seer Deluxe

I have events with pushover notification to track when the plugin is connected or disconnected . The disconnects align perfectly
with Amazon Discovery messages logged in the HS log.