X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BrightSwitch and Z-Wave?

I have one of these:

https://www.getbrightswitch.com/works-with/

And it works great as a switch and a touch screen for HS Touch, but I can not add it to my Z-Wave network. They say it's Z-Wave certified, so what am I doing wrong?

The switch wants to be a controller, is that the issue?

Thanks,
    Last edited by skybolt; December 27, 2017, 09:42 AM.
    -Skybolt

I have 6 on the way so hopefully they do. I'll offer to send one to HomeSeer so they can add support for it as long as they mail it back [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
      I have 6 on the way so hopefully they do. I'll offer to send one to HomeSeer so they can add support for it as long as they mail it back [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      So far I am using the "Switch" as a controller for HSTouch and Sonos, and it works great. I don't have it hooked up as a light switch yet, but it would be nice if I could.

Six switches of a beta!, wow! Your adventuresome for sure. I think you will be fine though. I had to put the UI into multi switch mode in order to keep HST and Sonos apps displayed all of the time. The UI does want to go back to being a switch.
      -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
        So far I am using the "Switch" as a controller for HSTouch and Sonos, and it works great. I don't have it hooked up as a light switch yet, but it would be nice if I could.

Six switches of a beta!, wow! Your adventuresome for sure. I think you will be fine though. I had to put the UI into multi switch mode in order to keep HST and Sonos apps displayed all of the time. The UI does want to go back to being a switch.
        When i bought them, I was on the Vera...so it was a long time ago and I was just happy to have in wall screens. 6 of them for $400 was also a pretty damn good price at the time for 6 switches, not to mention all the sensors they have in them (which I was/am hopeful can be exposed to HomeSeer).

Mine have officially shipped. @rjh @rupp and @macromark, please let me know if you need me to send you one so we can get support added to Homeseer ASAP

Comment

So I got mine in. I emailed HomeSeer and they said they wouldn't add it that a plugin developer should. I wrote back stating that the device should be seen as a z-wave device. They then asked if it was z-wave certified so I headed off on a search and found out that it is (https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2347). I was then asked to try and include it with the newest version of the z-wave plugin. So I installed one in my office temporarily, and updated my z-wave plugin to 1.0.1.130 and tried it.

This is what I got:

Code:
          Error, the Add Node response object is null and a normal ending was not reported - Add Node failed.
          Error: Error, the Add Node response object is null and a normal ending was not reported - Add Node failed.
          I wrote them back once again offering to send them one. I guess we'll see if they accept. If not, this kind of sucks, but there are somethings i need to ask BrightSwitch to consider adding:

Why not report Motion via z-wave?
          Why not report Light via z-wave?
          Why not report ALL THE SENSORS via z-wave?!

Seems like a missed opportunity...on and brightSwitches' forums kinda suck right now too

Comment

Wow, Greg at Homeseer is fast. He's already responded saying he will assign it to a technician to look at, but most of the company is at CES this week so it will be next week. After waiting 3-4 years for these to come in, I"m in no rush

I'll keep this thread updated.

Comment

For those that use these. Note that you don't have to use their plates. I didn't buy any because in some locations I have 5 gangs and they only currently have up to 3 gangs.

What I did instead was just install a wall plate that was 1 less gang than the number of switches in the box (including the BrightSwitch). Then I lined up the BrightSwitch using it's connector and drew a line. I then took it out side and just cutt off the excess. I honestly think it looks better than the ones they offer and if you go this route you can do any style wall plate you want.

I've attached a picture of the one I installed in my office today as a test. The plate does bow on the right side, but it did that before. I have to see what is causing that. i think it's a combination of an old work box and the KPL next to it.

Edit: Oh and excuse the dirt. I cut the faceplate on an old piece of plywood and I guess my hands got dirty and I transferred it all over the place on the wall and door trim...LOL
              Attached Files

Comment

So One more thing. I tried installing ImperiHome and assigning it to one of the buttons. It never shows up in the list. I asked on their forums and I was told that because "Imperihome is also a controller" it can't be assigned to one. Instead to access it I have to:

You will need to click on the gear in the bottom right and go to General settings. Click on Exit, and click exit to android. You should see all installed apps on the home screen. From there you can use Impirehome to control your lights. There will be a floating Brightswitch bubble. This is an "exit back" to Brightswitch button, you can move it around the screen by holding down and dragging.
                I questioned the reasoning for this as I think it's complete BS. Right now the Bright switch isn't controlling a load, so I will probably just keep it on ImperiHome, but if I ever hook it up to a load, it would be nice to use their UI. Their UI is absolutely necessary if I want to utilize the intercom functionality.

Comment

Has anyone gotten the BrightSwitch to work as a Z-Wave Homeseer device? I cannot get my Z-Troller to add it.

On the Z-Wave settings page, my BrightSwitch says "Dining Room (Primary) Type: Local Switch"
                  I press Edit, then "Start Learn Mode". Say "Learn mode started"
                  With my Z-Troller Controller right next to it, I press and hold Add.
                  Then the BrightSwitch returns to the Edit screen, never adding.

Is not working.

PS: Works great as a stand-alone light switch. Hope the intercom works well (have not installed my other ones yet).

Comment

Originally posted by ViperJD View Post
                    Has anyone gotten the BrightSwitch to work as a Z-Wave Homeseer device? I cannot get my Z-Troller to add it.

On the Z-Wave settings page, my BrightSwitch says "Dining Room (Primary) Type: Local Switch"
                    I press Edit, then "Start Learn Mode". Say "Learn mode started"
                    With my Z-Troller Controller right next to it, I press and hold Add.
                    Then the BrightSwitch returns to the Edit screen, never adding.

Is not working.

PS: Works great as a stand-alone light switch. Hope the intercom works well (have not installed my other ones yet).
                    I worked with HS to try and get one of mine working. I'm going to mail them one of my switches so they can see about getting it to work. We've been dealing with a bunch of sick kids and adults in our house so it's been low on my priority list. I'll try and get it to them this week

That said, I'm not overly happy with the one I installed. The lack of availability to get the other sensor data either through z-wave or an API seems like a really big miss on the brightSwitch team's side of things. for a product that was in development for something like 4 years, I expected more.

Comment

I worked with HS to try and get one of mine working. I'm going to mail them one of my switches so they can see about getting it to work. We've been dealing with a bunch of sick kids and adults in our house so it's been low on my priority list. I'll try and get it to them this week

That said, I'm not overly happy with the one I installed. The lack of availability to get the other sensor data either through z-wave or an API seems like a really big miss on the brightSwitch team's side of things. for a product that was in development for something like 4 years, I expected more.
                      Awesome, hope HS can figure it out. I cannot even add it to my Z-Troller, let alone HS. I did not have any luck on the BrightSwitch forum. I agree, the usefulness of the switch is very limited if I cannot add it to HS (and use it w Alexa). I have 3 (and they owe me 2 more). I only installed one so far.

Comment

I've yet to hear if/when I'll ever get the one I ordered back in 2014.

Comment

So, I just never had time to package up my bRightSwitch and send it to Homeseer, however I just checked their forums and Ray over at bRightSwitch said it would work. So I tried again and SUCCESS! I've now added 1 bRightSwitch.

I'm not currently sure I will still keep the ones I have, but knowing they will work in HomeSeer doesn't hurt. Right now I'm trying to find out if there is a way to access the cameras outside of another bRightSwitch (for use in my blueiris server for instance).

Comment

Right now I'm trying to find out if there is a way to access the cameras outside of another bRightSwitch (for use in my blueiris server for instance).
                            I've still not gotten mine. I'd also be interested in accessing the camera via Blueiris.

They have a forum? What's the URL?

Comment

Hey that's great news! I will try that tonight when I get home, although my switch isn't where it can control anything ...

I am not sure I really like these things either, I thought I would use it more as a controller but I haven't. But then again I don't use many of my touch screens anymore. I never updated the HS Touch screens for HS3 when I converted to HS3 ...
                              -Skybolt

Comment

Working...
                              X