How to detect if device is turned on manually

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to detect if device is turned on manually

I am trying to trigger an event if a device changes, but only if it was changed manually (as in someone physically hit the light switch, or manually changed the value in home seer, and not triggered via some HS3 event).

Basically i'm trying to control lights via motion sensor, and I created a virtual device for occupancy light status, that is either set to auto, or override. When events are triggered based on motion, the lights will only turn on / off if the status is set to auto. If it is set to override, then those automatic events will not run. I will then have a timer when the status gets set to override, that will change it back to auto after a certain period of time.

I really hope there is an easier way to accomplish this. I have been using vera (micasaverde) for years, and someone over there created a wonderful plugin called "smart switch". You basically told it the auto timeout value, and the manual timeout value, and it did all the rest for you. I'm hoping to achieve something similar here. This is my second day using hs3 (on the trial currently) so go easy on me!

Thanks!

What kind of device are you using? Does it support instant status as in the device sends a signal if the device is manually controlled?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm not sure to be honest. I am using the GE jasco dimmer switches and on/off switches.

Somehow the creator of the plugin for micasaverde was able to do it regardless of the switch used, but I have no clue what was done. Maybe there is a temporary tag that tells the event which changes auto/override to ignore the following commands.

Thanks!

EDIT

Oh i think i see what you are asking. When i physically hit switch, it does immediately update the status in homeseer.

Comment

Originally posted by smikkelsen View Post
        I'm not sure to be honest. I am using the GE jasco dimmer switches and on/off switches.

Somehow the creator of the plugin for micasaverde was able to do it regardless of the switch used, but I have no clue what was done. Maybe there is a temporary tag that tells the event which changes auto/override to ignore the following commands.

Thanks!

EDIT

Oh i think i see what you are asking. When i physically hit switch, it does immediately update the status in homeseer.
        So you should be able to trigger an event off of that signal and do what you want.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I think the OP's question is being missed. He wanted to be able to differentiate between whether a device is controlled locally versus if it is controlled by HomeSeer.

The solution I used in that circumstance is a virtual device that is turned on or off at the same time as the physical device with any event that controls the device. If the device is controlled locally, the virtual device is not changed.

Using the virtual device in events, it is possible to make events behave differently when a device is controlled locally versus when controlled by automation.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

The solution I used in that circumstance is a virtual device that is turned on or off at the same time as the physical device with any event that controls the device. If the device is controlled locally, the virtual device is not changed.
            That is a good solution to the problem, thanks.

Along these same lines, on the event triggers, does anyone know where to find a comprehensive list explaining what each does? I looked in the HS3 manual and it merely just lists the options available but does not explain what any of them do.

For example:

what is the difference between "A devices value is..."
            1. "This device changes and becomes" vs "This device had its value set to"
            2. "this device had a value that just changed" vs "this device just had its value set or changed"

It sort of sounds like this is a difference between the device being manipulated manually vs programmatically set.

Thanks again for the quick replies!

Comment

so , if i understand it , if i have a device what i can turn off with homeser with my rfxcom , but doesnt have status report if i turn it off manual . there is a way by detecting it in homeseer ?

that would solve a lot problems here,
              Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
              Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Comment

Originally posted by Malosa View Post
                so , if i understand it , if i have a device what i can turn off with homeser with my rfxcom , but doesnt have status report if i turn it off manual . there is a way by detecting it in homeseer ?

that would solve a lot problems here,
                Unfortunately, if it doesn't report to HomeSeer there is nothing you can do to trigger an action.

Comment

That is a good solution to the problem, thanks.

Along these same lines, on the event triggers, does anyone know where to find a comprehensive list explaining what each does? I looked in the HS3 manual and it merely just lists the options available but does not explain what any of them do.

For example:

what is the difference between "A devices value is..."
                  2. "this device had a value that just changed" vs "this device just had its value set or changed"

It sort of sounds like this is a difference between the device being manipulated manually vs programmatically set.

Thanks again for the quick replies!
                  I am attempting to build a comprehensive list of event Triggers, Conditions and Actions in this forum. Look at the table of contents post for the posts. It is far from complete, but I did get through the Triggers and Conditions last winter. I will be getting back to it soon with more content and some videos. Looking at the specific trigger you are asking about, I can see that my post is sorely lacking in details. I will work at expanding that and other posts.

To specifically answer your questions
                    The distinction is in the word "set". A device can have its value set, without changing the value. For example, if I have a temperature device that reports every 5 minutes, it is "setting" the value every 5 minutes, even if its value doesn't change. A binary (on-off) switch that is on, is still "set" if you press the ON paddle. For a device to "change" its value needs to become something different. Both of these triggers require that a device is set or changed to a specific value.
                    Just like above the key is in the word "set". The first example will be true only if the value of a device is changed, it is different from the trigger above in that it can be changed to any value, not to a specific value. The second one is valid if the device is "set" to any value. Again it is different from above because it need only be "set" or changed to any value, not a specific value.

Comment

To specifically answer your questions

The distinction is in the word "set". A device can have its value set, without changing the value. For example, if I have a temperature device that reports every 5 minutes, it is "setting" the value every 5 minutes, even if its value doesn't change. A binary (on-off) switch that is on, is still "set" if you press the ON paddle. For a device to "change" its value needs to become something different. Both of these triggers require that a device is set or changed to a specific value.
                    1. "this device had a value that just changed" vs "this device just had its value set or changed"
                      Just like above the key is in the word "set". The first example will be true only if the value of a device is changed, it is different from the trigger above in that it can be changed to any value, not to a specific value. The second one is valid if the device is "set" to any value. Again it is different from above because it need only be "set" or changed to any value, not a specific value.
                    Very good explanation, thanks.

Just an FYI, I was able to track down some more info on the micasa verde "smart switch" plugin, and the creator used a similar method to what you described. So there you have it!

Thanks again guys. I believe i'm going to dig in and figure out the scripting. I don't believe in the long run i'm going to enjoy managing so many virtual devices, events, etc.

Comment

Just an FYI, I was able to track down some more info on the micasa verde "smart switch" plugin, and the creator used a similar method to what you described. So there you have it!
                      That is what I had suspected. A friend down the street whom I helped switch to HomeSeer said he had that capability in Vera via a plug-in, it wasn't native.

Comment

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all of this. I have Leviton Z Wave switches and Hue bulbs. I do not want the switches wired to always have power. I have read all the event forum and can't find a suitable solution that I understand.

Here is what I'm looking for: When the physical switch is on, the HUE bulbs come on; this one is easy and I have it working no problem.

When the physical switch gets clicked off, I would like it to turn the switch back on and turn the HUE bulbs to off status. This one I have tried to create an event for and have been going in circles for days. Is there a solution for this event, any details would be greatly appreciated. I think once I can see this in action I will have a much better understanding of events and virtual devices.

Thank you,
                        Anthony.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMxyzptlk View Post
                          I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all of this. I have Leviton Z Wave switches and Hue bulbs. I do not want the switches wired to always have power. I have read all the event forum and can't find a suitable solution that I understand.

Here is what I'm looking for: When the physical switch is on, the HUE bulbs come on; this one is easy and I have it working no problem.

When the physical switch gets clicked off, I would like it to turn the switch back on and turn the HUE bulbs to off status. This one I have tried to create an event for and have been going in circles for days. Is there a solution for this event, any details would be greatly appreciated. I think once I can see this in action I will have a much better understanding of events and virtual devices.

Thank you,
                          Anthony.
                          Can you post a screenshot of the event that is not working so we can better understand what you are trying to do? I think I know how to construct an event and see the problem you have. When the switch is off the HUE bulbs are no longer powered and as a result they are no longer accepting commands. Since you have no way of anticipating that the switch will be turned off, you have to turn the switch back on in order to send commands to the HUE bulbs. Since there is likely a delay after they are powered up before they will accept commands, the solution would likely give a short blip of light as everything gets synchronized. Also understand that the event would be triggered if you sent a device control to the switch from HomeSeer as well as if you controlled it locally. The event would look something like this:
                          • IF the light switch changes and becomes OFF
                          • THEN set light switch to ON
                          • THEN Wait 1 second (fine tune this delay to only be as long as needed for the HUE devices to accept commands after power is restored)
                          • THEN set the HUE light(s) to OFF
                          • THEN set the light switch to OFF

You would need to set the event to "Cannot Re-run for" at least a second or two longer than the wait time in the event.

Comment

Could someone please describe, in detail, how exactly I can differentiate when a switch is put to "on" or "off" physically at the switch, as opposed to when a command in HS3 performs the on/off?

I'm trying to blink a bathroom fan and extend the time it's on after the warning on/off by pressing the local switch "up", yet can be also be turned off locally immediately. The problem I'm having is that the on/offs within the events keep triggering other events.

Old thread but no clear answers for me. Hopefully, I'm missing something simple here.

(I have both Z-Wave and Insteon switches and dimmers.)

Comment

Originally posted by Panamon View Post
                              Could someone please describe, in detail, how exactly I can differentiate when a switch is put to "on" or "off" physically at the switch, as opposed to when a command in HS3 performs the on/off?

I'm trying to blink a bathroom fan and extend the time it's on after the warning on/off by pressing the local switch "up", yet can be also be turned off locally immediately. The problem I'm having is that the on/offs within the events keep triggering other events.

Old thread but no clear answers for me. Hopefully, I'm missing something simple here.

(I have both Z-Wave and Insteon switches and dimmers.)
                              There is no way for a device to behave differently when it is controlled at the device vs by an Event, except with HomeSeer (and other) switches and dimmers offering a Central Scene device. Within Events, you can use a virtual device to indicate an event controlled the device, where the virtual device will not be controlled when the device is locally controlled. Then you can use the virtual device as a Condition in other Events to enable/disable the Event based upon what controlled the device.

If you need, I can assemble example Events.

Comment

Working...
                              X