Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you - Guest pass lock?

Ok, question for all you experts....

One of the things very attractive about "Smart" Dead-Bolts is the ability to issue "Guest Passes" so that the Plumber can open the door, or whoever you issue a 'pass' to.

If I have HS3 and a Z-Wave deadbolt (Kwikset), how can I issue "Guest Passes."

I looked at some of the Lock specific options, but they assume you have their hub...

Create events to activate and deactivate codes. The events can be time based, etc. or manually triggered and then you could trigger the events through HS Touch, Imperihome or other UIs. Unfortunately, you have to predefine the codes as HS currently does not expose the functions to the scripting interface.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

But how would people use them?
      I can assume they have a smartphone, but how would "enter" the codes.

Assume I send someone a "token" of some form, be it a code or a link, how would they use the token once they are at the front door?

I am hoping to have a lock with no visible keypad, just a lock.

When -I- approach, there are a variety of ways to identify me like Bluetooth, Wifi, IFTTT or other....

But the plumber hasn't subscribed/paired with any of those previously, so how do I identify them to invoke an unlock script?

Comment

It would only work with a keypad.
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I have been able to send a command through HS3 to enable lock codes and disable. I use the last 4 digits of trades cell number when granting access.

Comment

Originally posted by rsisson View Post
            But how would people use them?
            I can assume they have a smartphone, but how would "enter" the codes.

Assume I send someone a "token" of some form, be it a code or a link, how would they use the token once they are at the front door?

I am hoping to have a lock with no visible keypad, just a lock.

When -I- approach, there are a variety of ways to identify me like Bluetooth, Wifi, IFTTT or other....

But the plumber hasn't subscribed/paired with any of those previously, so how do I identify them to invoke an unlock script?
            Why not use a keypad? I have 2 of the Schlage units and they work really well. I have my house cleaned every other friday, so I have an event to enable the code for the cleaners in the morning, and disable it in the afternoon on those days. Works very well.

I used to be completely against having controlled locks/access to my house until earlier this year. I finally got over the fact that the window right next to the locked door is easier to get into than trying to hack a keypad or a normal lock anyways. The other good thing is I have it setup so that if the right code is entered, it disarms the alarm on the house... or if someone keep messing with it, send me an alert about the failed attempts, oh and cameras and dogs . I think I am safe.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
              Why not use a keypad? I have 2 of the Schlage units and they work really well. I have my house cleaned every other friday, so I have an event to enable the code for the cleaners in the morning, and disable it in the afternoon on those days. Works very well.
              Yep. I use Schlage locks. My home is a B&B with 6 rooms. We give guests a unique code. Most of my locks are connected via Nexia. Nexia has many problems but the UI is great, especially compared with HomeSeer. I'm running 3 locks on HomeSeer. I create 2 events for each guest and each lock. One enables the code, one disables the code - both at set date/time. Events are set to delete themselves after run.

Comment

Working...
              X