This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prowl and Growl

I'm wondering if anyone is doing anything creative with HomeSeer and Growl? I know there was a plug in written some time ago for the MAC Growl client, but at that time Growl did not exist for Windows. Today it does. But after playing around with Growl for Windows and the old plug in, I don't think they can work together. Either that, or there is some part of the configuration that I am missing.

Although much of this functionality is now built into Homeseer and Homeseer Speaker, there is also now an iPhone Growl client called Prowl with push notifications. Which makes the union of HomeSeer and Growl very interesting to me.

I was finally able to get the HS2 Growl plug in to work with Growl for Windows. Actually it works quite well now! However, the push to the iPhone with Prowl is a little more delayed than I would like. For example if you push caller id, by the time it gets to the iPhone, you may have missed the call. But it's pretty handy for other things.

Comment

What functionality does this give you over sending a txt message to your iPhone?
      Mike

Comment

At this point, there really is no additional functionality over SMS. However, you don't have to pay for the messages - which can be a big plus if you don't have an unlimited package.

But with HS sending to Growl, you can run Growl on other PCs and the HS server can push messages out to those clients as well. Granted it's the same functionality as HomeSeer Speaker, but if you are already running Growl on other PCs it could just be an extension of your "Growl network"

Comment

Thanks for the clarifications. I'm always looking for new ways to expand!
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Jroberts View Post
            I was finally able to get the HS2 Growl plug in to work with Growl for Windows. Actually it works quite well now! However, the push to the iPhone with Prowl is a little more delayed than I would like. For example if you push caller id, by the time it gets to the iPhone, you may have missed the call. But it's pretty handy for other things.
            This sounds promising. So did you have to do anything special to get this to work? I'm very interested in setting up Prowl on my iPhone for this!

Comment

To be honest, I'm not sure what my problem was originally. I think I was trying to over complicate the set up. Really all you have to do is install Growl for Windows and the HS plug in. Then create an event to send to Growl and enter an the IP Address of Growl as the recipient. After sending a message, then HomeSeer will show up as an application in growl.

In order for Growl to send to Prowl, you do need an account with Prowl, but the iPhone app will take you through that set up.

Comment

I'm confused as to what you did to get Growler (the plug-in) to work with Growl4Windows also.

I have a simple "test Growl" manual event defined to run a script as follows:

--------
                Set objGrowl = hs.plugin("Growler")
                objGrowl.SendGrowl "", "", "Growler Title", "Growler Message","0",false,""
                Set objGrowl = Nothing
                ------------

When I run it, the Growl message appears on my Mac. It doesn't show up on my Windows system at all. I have G4W set up in the security tab to "Allow network notifications" and under the Network tab to "Subscribe to notifications from other computers".

I have nothing showing up in the "Applications" tab. I have even changed the above to send specifically to the IP address of my Windows machine. Still, nothing shows up under Applciations. I know I didn't have to worry about that tab on the Mac side of things.

Comment

I did not try to run Growler in a script. I am using the "Send Growl message" action in an Event. I'll try a script and let you know if my experience is different. Other than that, I'm not sure what I'm doing differently than you. I did have to assign a host name in each Event. Growl for Windows would not pick up the message otherwise. Even on the same PC. Also, Growl sees HomeSeer as an application rather than another computer.

I am running Growl for Windows on the HomeSeer server. If you have them on separate computers perhaps its a firewall/router issue.

Comment

I was able to use your script with the addition of a host name and it worked fine for me. I did not try Growl on a remote machine however...

----
                    Set objGrowl = hs.plugin("Growler")
                    objGrowl.SendGrowl "127.0.0.1", "", "Growler Title", "Growler Message","0",false,""
                    Set objGrowl = Nothing
                    ---

If none of this helps, let me know and I'll investigate further on my end.

Comment

Yes, my issue is running Growl on a totally separate computer on the same network. I doubt there is any firewall issue since I have all firewalls disabled.

I'll try via the command instead of the script also, but my guess is it won't work either. For "network", there is talk on the GfW site about needing a password set... and there was talk in the Growler plugin page you linked to above from the author about not supporting passwords.

Wish the source for Growler was available.

Comment

Yep, I think that is exactly it. I can't get the HS plug-in to send to Growl anywhere but localhost.

Comment

I was only able to get this to growl to a remote Mac system using Broadcast mode and Direct TCP. Looks like the plugin could use an update OR perhaps the Windows growl client needs to support UDP broadcast if it doesn't now? I do not have a remote Windows PC to test it with.

Comment

Instead of HomeSeer notifying other Growl clients, is it possible to do it the other way around? Something that Growl monitors changes, and HS reacts?
                            HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                            Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                            on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                            WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

For those who installed the plug-in, looks like the zip is just 1 dll file? Where do you put it to have it show up under the interfaces tab?

Comment

Working...
                              X