Stopped Working...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopped Working...

I suspect I have an installation problem but I have review the threads here and can not find anything that would point me in the right direction. I installed the Envi on July 24th, v1.0.0.31 of the plugin on the 25th and all looked fine for almost 24 hours. Then it stopped updating the HS devices, graphs, etc. The HS log continued showing updates for sensors 0 - 9 (I only have the main unit):
    8/2/2010 3:00:19 PM ~!~Current Cost~!~Updating projected value for Sensor 0

Today, I went in and updated to v1.0.039. It appears the update went go ok, I didnt get any errors and nothing shows when I restarted HS. However, during startup I received the message:
    8/2/2010 3:04:44 PM ~!~Current Cost~!~Updating ALL projected values

I have not received any of the sensor update messages (above), that were appearing about every 15 minutes in the prior version. It is still not updating the devices. I have attached a partical log and my Current Cost ini. Help would be greatly appreciated.

I downloaded and started the PowerSave C2 Terminal to test the Envi. I opened the port (21) and nothing else showed on the screen for about 5 minutes. I closed C2 and restarted HS. Could I have a defective Envi? Is there a setting on the Monitor that tells it to, or allows it to download data via the USB cable?

Thanks
    Gary
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kbevo; August 2, 2010, 05:12 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Kbevo,

The odds are much higher that the port number just changed on you. The USB interface is really just an RS-232 to USB converter all in one, so when you plug it in, Windows assigns a COM port number to it. If you move it to a different USB port, the COM port number changes. Go to the device manager and see if the port number is different. If it is not, then try shutting down the PC and restarting (make sure you check the COM port number again before you start HomeSeer) and then see if that fixes it.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

No Joy...

Rick, I did as you requested and nothing is different. Below is the Device Manager after reboot and prior to starting HS. It is the same as prior to rebooting. Also, as shown in my first post above, I went into the C2 program with HS shutdown and it did in fact open port 21 successfully. Just nothing was downloaded, which seems consistent with HS behavior. In all respects it appears to me the port assigned to the USB/Serial converter is port 21. What else should/can I do to determine whether or not the monitor is bad?

Thanks
      Gary
      Attached Files

Comment

Enable the debug logging in the plug-in, then shut down and restart HomeSeer, then after a few minutes set the logging back to Normal, then examine the CurrentCost.log file in the "Debug Logs" directory and see if you see any errors that can explain it. If not, zip it up and send it to me and I will take a look.
        Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
          ...then examine the CurrentCost.log file in the "Debug Logs" directory and see if you see any errors that can explain it. If not, zip it up and send it to me and I will take a look.
          Rick, done as requested. Nothing different. Very little in CC log (attached). Incidentally, I do not have a "Debug Logs" directory, my CurrentCost.log file is in the "C:\Program Files\HomeSeer 2\Logs\" directory if that means anything. Additionally, I was reading in the PowerSave drivers pdf and it suggested reinstalling the drivers if this problem occurs. So after the debug test, I shutdown HS, uninstalled the Profilic driver, rebooted. Reinstalled the Profilic driver (after downloading it again), started C2, opened port 21 got nothing. Started HS, and still got nothing. I have also attached today's HS log and the cc ini. Hope you can see something I've missed.

Thanks
          Gary
          Attached Files

Comment

Gary,

Sorry - nothing in the logs indicated any sort of a problem, as you noted as well.

Time to contact CurrentCost and see what they say?

If you cannot get anything with their terminal emulator program, then I suspect they should be the ones to help you figure out what is going on as they designed that program themselves. If they can get the terminal emulator showing data, then I bet it will start working in HomeSeer.
            Regards,

Comment

Hey, I may have found something. The thread that reads the XML data from the serial port was not protected from exceptions killing it off - this would definitely explain the plug-in stopping for some reason mid-stream. Thus, I added that protection and logging for it so we can see what is going on.

Try the latest from the updater (.42)
              Regards,

Comment

Good news... Bad news

The good news is it's working (at 3:40 PM, as I write this anyway). The bad news is I don't know why, or for that matter exactly when. When I got news of your post regarding .42, I went into the updater and updated to that version and restarted HS. I then went in and set the CC debug (log attached). Then I looked at the CC History and parts of some graphs were showing. I checked the devices and they were all updated with current values. My first reaction was that you did something in the new version but the graphs showed the data started around 11:30 PM which was about the time I restarted HS after the driver reinstall. Strange thing is, I checked the devices and graphs at least 5 - 10 minutes after HS had restarted and nothing had updated. Not sure when it started to show. This version does not seem to log when it reads the sensors and/or updates the devices. Anyway, for now things are working and I will try to watch it more closely. One question though, it is showing incomplete data for Aug, is there anyway to read down the stored history data in the monitor?

Thanks for your help, its greatly appreciated.

Gary
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kbevo View Post
                  The good news is it's working (at 3:40 PM, as I write this anyway). The bad news is I don't know why, or for that matter exactly when. When I got news of your post regarding .42, I went into the updater and updated to that version and restarted HS. I then went in and set the CC debug (log attached). Then I looked at the CC History and parts of some graphs were showing. I checked the devices and they were all updated with current values. My first reaction was that you did something in the new version but the graphs showed the data started around 11:30 PM which was about the time I restarted HS after the driver reinstall. Strange thing is, I checked the devices and graphs at least 5 - 10 minutes after HS had restarted and nothing had updated. Not sure when it started to show. This version does not seem to log when it reads the sensors and/or updates the devices. Anyway, for now things are working and I will try to watch it more closely. One question though, it is showing incomplete data for Aug, is there anyway to read down the stored history data in the monitor?

Thanks for your help, its greatly appreciated.

Gary
                  Well on the first part, you are right that we no longer log when we are updating values, because users here complained about the log entries! So they were removed...

No, I was thinking of grabbing the historical data to fill in blanks in the other data, but right now the history table is filled with data stored at 1 minute intervals, and all of the reports are based upon this fact. We do not have historical information with that granularity, so the reports would not look right. I am hoping to fix that, but right now there is no way to do it. If you had the values, you could download a program to work with an SQLite database and you could add the values that way. I know how you feel - each time I shut down HomeSeer I get gaps in the data! It BUGS me because it means it is not totally accurate!
                  Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
                    Well on the first part, you are right that we no longer log when we are updating values, because users here complained about the log entries! So they were removed...
                    Well if thats what the majority wants, thats fine with me. May want to think about adding an exception of some kind that logs when nothing is received (perhaps after x minutes). Just a thought.

I know how you feel - each time I shut down HomeSeer I get gaps in the data! It BUGS me because it means it is not totally accurate!
                    Yeah, aesthetically a complete graph is more elegant. If I were you I wouldnt worry too much about it, in this case, I can't image a situation where a few gaps affect the devices overall effectiveness for energy use evaluation. Thanks much for you help on this issue and I am hoping I wont have to revist this problem in the future.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                    X