Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooper Scene Controller - Scenes do not seem to program properly

Hello All,

I recently purchased a Cooper 5 scene controller ("Cooper RFWC5DW Decorator Z-Wave 5-Scene Controller"), installed it by my front door along with an Enerwave ZWN-RSM2—SMART DUAL RELAY SWITCH MODULE and added both to my network. The idea was to replace two standard switches with one scene controller, using the first two scene buttons as toggle buttons for the two lights previously controlled by the switches, leaving 3 scene buttons for other uses.

Both the scene controller and the Enerwave module appeared to add ok. I could control the lights manually via the HS3 web interface, so I went about configuring two scenes. First I went to Plugins -> ZWAVE -> Scene Management, and created a simple scene for each of the lights I wanted to control. For example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 12.37.25 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1209264

Then I went to View -> Device Management and clicked on Scene Controller Button 1 to edit it. I changed the device name to "Front Door Overhead Lights" and then clicked on the Z-Wave tab, then the yellow arrow next to Settings then next to Scene: Manual or Scene Name I chose the Front Door Overhead Lights scene I created earlier and clicked Save and Test Scene. The web interface responded with Programming of the saved Z-Wave scene (Front Door Overhead Lights) was successful.

However, when I press scene button 1, nothing happens other than the scene button light turns on. I press it again and the scene button light turns off. In the HS3 logs I see:

Code:
    Apr-12 00:46:22 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 5
    Apr-12 00:46:22 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Studio Front Door Front Door Overhead Lights Set to Scene On
    Apr-12 00:46:23 	  	Z-Wave 	Studio Front Door Front Door Overhead Lights is running Z-Wave Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights
    Apr-12 00:46:29 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Studio Front Door Front Door Overhead Lights Set to OFF
    The actual overhead lights I intended to control never change state. Any idea what's going on here?

Also, if I try to set the button one scene setting to Manually Configure Scene Here I cannot add any non-scene capable devices to the scene. I *thought* that the Cooper scene controllers could still send commands to non-scene capable devices and assumed that one of these two methods would work, but it seems that neither does.

Also, I ran an "Audit this node" and got the following output:

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 12.52.32 AM.png
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	1184304

Interestingly, I had also attempted manual scene configuration using different scene numbers on each button, thinking it might be some sort of conflict between scene numbers or something strange like that. So, at one point I had:
    • Button 1: Scene 20
      Button 2: Scene 21
      Button 3: Scene 22
      Button 4: Scene 23
      Button 5: Scene 24

Am I reading the audit node output right, that somehow the cooper scene controller itself thinks it is programmed like:
    • Button 1: Scene 24
      Button 2: Scene 21
      Button 3: Scene 23
      Button 4: Scene 21
      Button 5: Scene 22

Perhaps when I press button 1, it actually sends a "scene 24 ON" command, but HS3, since it currently thinks that button one is scene 5, records it in the logs as scene 5 being activated? Thus, since scene 24 doesn't have device 15 in it, the lights don't turn on, even though the HS logs appear to show the appropriate scene being activated???

Then again, I just tried scene button 3. At first when I pressed it nothing showed up in the logs, nor did anything happen other than the button 3 light turning on at the controller. Pressing button 3 again toggled the controller indicator light back off again but yielded nothing in HS3 logs. Then I realized I had no devices (including HS3) in the scene 22 manual configuration, so I added it. Again, programming is 'successful', but when I 'audit this node', button 3 shows that HS3 thinks it is programmed for scene 22, but the controller thinks it is programmed for scene 23.

Code:
          Device Studio Front Door Scene Controller Button 3, button 3 is configured for a Manual Scene, Scene ID 22, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:
              Scene Member: Z-Wave Node 1 180ZNET (Node 1) (ns) to level On or Last Level
          Device Studio Front Door Scene Controller Button 3, button 3 Configuration Data from the Controller: Scene ID 23, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:
             Scene Member: Z-Wave Node 1 180ZNET (Node 1) (Non-Scene capable device - cannot retrieve scene level information.)
    Pressing button 3 once, waiting 5 seconds, and pressing it again now yields the following in the logs:

Code:
    Apr-12 01:07:17 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 22
    Apr-12 01:07:17 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Studio Front Door Scene Controller Button 3 Set to Scene On
    Apr-12 01:07:24 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Studio Front Door Scene Controller Button 3 Set to OFF

Comment

Out of frustration I tried resetting all of the buttons to be on the same zwave scene (front door overhead lights, scene 5). I saved the configuration and now get the following 'audit node' output:

Code:
      Auditing node 16 (Studio Front Door Cooper Wiring Static Controller Node 16 Root) ...

HomeSeer was able to send a frame to the node.
      HomeSeer was able to query the node and receive information back from it.
      The node's neighbor rating is: Neighbor Information is not Applicable for this node type.
      This node supports associations on the following groups:
            Group 1:
                  Z-Wave Node 1 180ZNET (Node 1)
            Group 2:
            Group 255 - No nodes are associated to this group.
            Group 3:
            Group 4:
            Group 5:
      This node is a Scene Controller - Scene configuration information is as follows:
            Device Studio Front Door Front Door Outside Wall Lights, button 2 is configured to use Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights, Scene ID 5, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:
                Scene Member: HomeSeer
                Scene Member:Studio Front Door Overhead Lights (Node 15): On
            Device Studio Front Door Front Door Outside Wall Lights, button 2 Configuration Data from the Controller: Scene ID 5, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:
               Scene Member: Z-Wave Node 1 180ZNET (Node 1) (Non-Scene capable device - cannot retrieve scene level information.)

Device Studio Front Door Scene Controller Button 4, button 4 is configured to use Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights, Scene ID 5, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:
            Device Studio Front Door Scene Controller Button 4, button 4 Configuration Data from the Controller: Scene ID 5, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:

Device Studio Front Door Scene Controller Button 3, button 3 is configured to use Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights, Scene ID 5, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:
            Device Studio Front Door Scene Controller Button 3, button 3 Configuration Data from the Controller: Scene ID 5, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:

Device Studio Front Door Scene Controller Button 5, button 5 is configured to use Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights, Scene ID 5, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:
            Device Studio Front Door Scene Controller Button 5, button 5 Configuration Data from the Controller: Scene ID 5, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:

Device Studio Front Door Front Door Overhead Lights, button 1 is configured to use Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights, Scene ID 5, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:
            Device Studio Front Door Front Door Overhead Lights, button 1 Configuration Data from the Controller: Scene ID 5, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:
      When I press the scene 1 button on the controller, its local indicator light turns on, followed by the rest of the lights on the controller spastically flashing in different patterns for about 10 seconds, until it settles into indicators 1, 3, 4, and 5 being on with indicator 2 being off. The HS3 web interface shows all 5 scenes as being on. Still no actual change in the overhead light I want to activate. What in the heck???

For the record, I am running Windows 10 (10.0.10586 Service Pack: 0.0 as a vm on xenserver 6.5), HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.258, and my only enabled plugin is HS Zwave 3.0.1.66. My controller is a recently purchased Z-NET.

Comment

OK, so I removed (excluded) the Cooper Scene controller from the network, reset it to factory defaults per the instructions from the manufacturer (hold buttons 1, 3, and 5 for 5 seconds, release, press all off), and re-included it:

Code:
        Add Node started...
        Activate the 'Add to Network' function on the device...
        Activate the 'Add to Network' function on the device...
        A new node is being added...
        Adding a new CONTROLLER...
        DONE - Add Node Operation is Complete.
        Done. Node 17 Added.
        Reloading (importing) node information...
        Synchronizing node information with HomeSeer and creating new device(s) as necessary...
        Synchronize nodes finished. Number of device nodes to be created/added = 1
        Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 17, ID: 26=1AH (Cooper Wiring), Type: 22349=574DH, ID: 0=0H
        Node: 17 Supports Class(es): INDICATOR, NODE_NAMING, VERSION_V2, APPLICATION_STATUS, SCENE_CONTROLLER_CONF, ASSOCIATION, MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC, CONTROLLER_REPLICATION, CONFIGURATION
        Node 17 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 2.78 App: 2.5
        All associations for node 17 have been retrieved successfully, it supports associations on these groups: 1, 2, 255, 3, 4, 5.
        Node 17 supports 5 scene buttons.
        Root Node Device Node 17 Z-Wave Cooper Wiring Static Controller Node 17 was created for node 17 on network E67315E1
        5 out of 5 Child devices of node 17 were created successfully.
        Finished.
        Confirmed via audit node that all buttons were unconfigured, i.e.:

Code:
              Device Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 4, button 4 Has No Manual or Saved Scene in the HomeSeer Device.
              Device Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 4, button 4 Configuration Data from the Controller: Scene ID 0, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:
        Edited scene button 1, went to z-wave tab, settings, set to scene name "front door overhead lights", save and Test Scene. Nothing happened. Audit node reveals:

Code:
         Device Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1, button 1 is configured to use Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights, Scene ID 5, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:
              Device Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1, button 1 Configuration Data from the Controller: Scene ID 0, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene:
        Went to Plug-Ins, Zwave, Scene management. Tried each of Save changes, save & Deploy Scene, and Save & Test Deployed Scene, performing "audit nodes" between each, with no change in the audit results after each. However, on the "save & test deployed scene", the overhead light itself turned on. I turned it back on and tried pressing scene button 1 (no result other than the light turning on) and pressing it again to turn the indicator back off. Tried also using the HS3 web interface on the "scene 1" HS3 device with no change in the light's actual status. Controlled the light's device in HS3 web interface and the light responded appropriately. Tried the scene controller again and nothing. Here are the logs:

Code:
        Apr-12 01:30:53 	  	Z-Wave 	Setting scene in controller Node 17 Z-Wave Cooper Wiring Static Controller Node 17 Root for device Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1, Scene ID 5, Button 1
        Apr-12 01:30:54 	  	Z-Wave 	Setting association for device Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1, Button 1, to HomeSeer interface: 180ZNET
        Apr-12 01:30:55 	  	Z-Wave 	Associating device Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1, Button 1 with HomeSeer.
        Apr-12 01:30:57 	  	Z-Wave 	Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 17, ID: 26=1AH (Cooper Wiring), Type: 22349=574DH, ID: 0=0H
        Apr-12 01:30:57 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 4
        Apr-12 01:30:57 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 2
        Apr-12 01:30:57 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 5
        Apr-12 01:30:57 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to INVALID VALUE
        Apr-12 01:30:57 	  	Z-Wave 	Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 is running Z-Wave Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights
        Apr-12 01:30:57 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 3
        Apr-12 01:30:57 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 1
        Apr-12 01:31:10 	  	Z-Wave 	Programming Scene Front Door Overhead Lights, Scene ID 5
        Apr-12 01:31:22 	  	Z-Wave 	Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 17, ID: 26=1AH (Cooper Wiring), Type: 22349=574DH, ID: 0=0H
        Apr-12 01:31:22 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 4
        Apr-12 01:31:22 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 2
        Apr-12 01:31:22 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 5
        Apr-12 01:31:22 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to INVALID VALUE
        Apr-12 01:31:22 	  	Z-Wave 	Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 is running Z-Wave Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights
        Apr-12 01:31:23 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 3
        Apr-12 01:31:23 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 1
        Apr-12 01:31:45 	  	Z-Wave 	Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 17, ID: 26=1AH (Cooper Wiring), Type: 22349=574DH, ID: 0=0H
        Apr-12 01:31:45 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 4
        Apr-12 01:31:45 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 2
        Apr-12 01:31:45 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 5
        Apr-12 01:31:45 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to INVALID VALUE
        Apr-12 01:31:45 	  	Z-Wave 	Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 is running Z-Wave Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights
        Apr-12 01:31:45 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 3
        Apr-12 01:31:45 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 1
        Apr-12 01:32:06 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 5
        Apr-12 01:32:06 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to Scene On
        Apr-12 01:32:07 	  	Z-Wave 	Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 is running Z-Wave Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights
        Apr-12 01:32:11 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to OFF
        Apr-12 01:33:06 	  	Z-Wave 	Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 17, ID: 26=1AH (Cooper Wiring), Type: 22349=574DH, ID: 0=0H
        Apr-12 01:33:06 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 4
        Apr-12 01:33:07 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 2
        Apr-12 01:33:07 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 5
        Apr-12 01:33:07 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to INVALID VALUE
        Apr-12 01:33:07 	  	Z-Wave 	Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 is running Z-Wave Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights
        Apr-12 01:33:07 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 3
        Apr-12 01:33:07 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 1
        Apr-12 01:33:10 	  	Z-Wave 	Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 17, ID: 26=1AH (Cooper Wiring), Type: 22349=574DH, ID: 0=0H
        Apr-12 01:33:10 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 4
        Apr-12 01:33:10 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 2
        Apr-12 01:33:11 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 5
        Apr-12 01:33:11 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to INVALID VALUE
        Apr-12 01:33:11 	  	Z-Wave 	Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 is running Z-Wave Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights
        Apr-12 01:33:11 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 3
        Apr-12 01:33:11 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 1
        Apr-12 01:33:23 	  	Z-Wave 	Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 17, ID: 26=1AH (Cooper Wiring), Type: 22349=574DH, ID: 0=0H
        Apr-12 01:33:23 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 4
        Apr-12 01:33:23 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 2
        Apr-12 01:33:23 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 5
        Apr-12 01:33:23 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to INVALID VALUE
        Apr-12 01:33:23 	  	Z-Wave 	Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 is running Z-Wave Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights
        Apr-12 01:33:23 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 3
        Apr-12 01:33:23 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 1
        Apr-12 01:33:34 	  	Z-Wave 	Programming Scene Front Door Overhead Lights, Scene ID 5
        Apr-12 01:33:34 	  	Z-Wave 	Activating SAVED scene 5 on non-Scene device node 15 to Level 255
        Apr-12 01:33:51 	  	Z-Wave 	Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 17, ID: 26=1AH (Cooper Wiring), Type: 22349=574DH, ID: 0=0H
        Apr-12 01:33:51 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 4
        Apr-12 01:33:51 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 2
        Apr-12 01:33:51 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 5
        Apr-12 01:33:51 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to INVALID VALUE
        Apr-12 01:33:51 	  	Z-Wave 	Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 is running Z-Wave Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights
        Apr-12 01:33:51 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 3
        Apr-12 01:33:51 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 1
        Apr-12 01:34:01 	  	Device Control 	Device: Studio Front Door Overhead Lights to Off (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
        Apr-12 01:34:05 	  	Device Control 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 to Scene On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
        Apr-12 01:34:05 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to ON
        Apr-12 01:34:10 	  	Device Control 	Device: Studio Front Door Overhead Lights to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
        Apr-12 01:34:12 	  	Device Control 	Device: Studio Front Door Overhead Lights to Off (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
        Apr-12 01:34:14 	  	Device Control 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 to Scene Off (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
        Apr-12 01:34:14 	  	Z-Wave Error 	Exception on Send_To_Collection(0): Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
        Apr-12 01:34:14 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to OFF
        Apr-12 01:34:29 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 5
        Apr-12 01:34:29 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to Scene On
        Apr-12 01:34:30 	  	Z-Wave 	Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 is running Z-Wave Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights
        Apr-12 01:34:37 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to OFF
        Apr-12 01:36:07 	  	Z-Wave 	Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 17, ID: 26=1AH (Cooper Wiring), Type: 22349=574DH, ID: 0=0H
        Apr-12 01:36:07 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 4
        Apr-12 01:36:08 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 2
        Apr-12 01:36:08 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 5
        Apr-12 01:36:08 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to INVALID VALUE
        Apr-12 01:36:08 	  	Z-Wave 	Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 is running Z-Wave Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights
        Apr-12 01:36:08 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 3
        Apr-12 01:36:08 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 1
        Apr-12 01:37:53 	  	Z-Wave 	Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 17, ID: 26=1AH (Cooper Wiring), Type: 22349=574DH, ID: 0=0H
        Apr-12 01:37:54 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 4
        Apr-12 01:37:54 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 2
        Apr-12 01:37:54 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 5
        Apr-12 01:37:54 	  	Z-Wave 	Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to INVALID VALUE
        Apr-12 01:37:54 	  	Z-Wave 	Node 17 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 is running Z-Wave Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights
        Apr-12 01:37:54 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 3
        Apr-12 01:37:54 	  	Z-Wave 	Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 1
        Frustrated doesn't even begin to come close to my feelings at the moment...

Comment

I started with Homeseer a few years ago and this Cooper switch was about the 5th Zwave switch I installed. Like you I wasted a lot of time and I could never get it to work properly.

I got so frustrated with this switch that I pulled out all of my other Zwave switches and installed about 30 UPB devices along with the UPBSPUD plugin and everything runs error free. You don't see many postings on the UPB threads because once set up it just runs and works great with Homeseer or if Homeseer goes down the scenes still work great.

I do have Zwave thermostats, wall plugs and now installing Zwave locks with a new Zstick plus. I am hopeful things have improved.

I know the switch is a lot of money but I have mine sitting in a box, I'm sure smarter guys than me have it working fine.

Comment

This is what I was afraid of...

Comment

I can't even get this to work right with HS3 Events. To be clear, I really want this to work as an actual scene controller, i.e. to have the cooper controller directly request the enerwave module turn on and off, so that no matter what happens to HS3, I (and more importantly, my wife) need to know that we can press a button and a light comes on, press again and the light goes off, regardless of the status of our network, the homeseer process, etc. HomeSeer in my view adds the "automation" part which we can easily live without. (turning the lights on as I approach home, off for me when I go to bed, etc.) but should not be required for minimum basic functionality in the house. To get this I may need to either (as suggested) consider non-zwave tech, or stick with devices that have local load control for normal loads and supplement with other types of devices (scene controllers, touch interfaces, etc). But really, this should work. The Cooper is supposed to be able to have "scenes" with "non scene capable" devices in them with the obvious caveat that they can't do "scene" things like set the fade rate to x seconds.

Anyway back to my attempted HS3 event workaround. I created 4 events per button in hopes of mimicking what I believe the scene controller should be able to do.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 07.57.51.jpg
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1184316

My thinking is that if the scene controller button is set to either on or off, whether that be by the homeseer web/touch interfaces or the physical controller buttons, HS3 events will check to see if the light "associated" with that button is already in the correct state or not, and if not, make it so. The second pair of events is intended to do the reverse -- if the lights are turned on or off either via local control or via HS3, make sure the indicator lights on the scene controller match the light status.

This sort of works. I can press button 1. Its indicator light and light 1 turn on. Press button 1 again and indicator light 1 and light 1 turn off. Yay! Same goes for button 2. The problems arise when more than one button is on at once. Here's a recent example: I turned both lights on by pressing each controller button once. Their indicator lights turned on and so did the relays (and thus the lights) in the enerwave. Then I pressed button 2 to turn off light 2. Its indicator light turned off, and BOTH lights turned off, leaving indicator light 1 on, while homeseer indicates button 1 is off. Whaaat? Press button 1 and its indicator light turns off. Here are the logs for that second press of button 2 that turned off both devices:

Code:
              Apr-12 23:35:50         Z-Wave    Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Button 1 - Overhead Lights Set to OFF        
              Apr-12 23:35:50         Event    Event Trigger "Test Front Door Overhead Lights - OFF by Scene Controller"        
              Apr-12 23:35:50         Device Control    Device: Studio Front Door Overhead Lights to Off (0)        
              Apr-12 23:35:50         Z-Wave    Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Button 2 - Wall Sconces Set to OFF        
              Apr-12 23:35:50         Event    Event Trigger "Test Front Door Wall Sconce - OFF by Scene Controller"        
              Apr-12 23:35:50         Device Control    Device: Studio Front Door Outside Wall Lights to Off (0)
              As you can see Homeseer believes it has received both button 2 off (which I did press) and button 1 off (which I did not press). Thus it turns off both devices in HS3 and my event to turn off indicator 1 never fires because it believes it is already off.

Is there a way to turn up the logging level so that instead of the "friendly" log display, I see the actual zwave command received, non-translated? I suspect there's something going on related to the fact that HS3 doesn't seem to be able to program the actual scenes into the controller, but have no way to prove that.

Comment

ok, found debug logging under plugins -> manage then clicking zwave. Will try tonight.

Also found http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=2312 and http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=2121. Maybe related?? Also http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=1192 which describes some similar unexpected button behavior.

Comment

Check out this link: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=137830

In the z-wave settings for each button, I had created an empty scene. I created one for each button: empty1, empty2, etc and then saved them. It took me about 15 attempts, my button 3 was especially problematic.

After much trial and error, I was finally able to get the buttons to respond to homeseer events, both scene on and scene off.

Comment

Thanks. I had seen that thread, hadn't thought to just repeatedly try saving the scene over and over till it took. Will give it a try.

Comment

I had shared this with HS support, I'm not sure of how much help it will be. I added/removed the scene controller 5 times, went through each button and noticed the following:

I must have gone through the settings on button 3 about 15 times. I created a scene name, empty3, but it was always associated with scene number 1 (current) -- I'm not sure what that piece of information meant. But as I looked at the information of each button, 3 stood out as it had scene number 1 set and not a larger number:

Scene 1: scene number 13
                      Scene 2: scene number 14
                      Scene 3: scene number 1
                      Scene 4: scene number 12
                      Scene 5: scene number 11

Anyway, I had created a new scene, empty_3 and it still had the same association with scene number 1 though the audit on the node showed everything was ok. I rescanned the node, optimized it and then created yet another scene and saved the changes. This time, the scene number changed to 2 and it worked. I've attached a screen shot of the button along with an audit

Comment

Thanks for your addition macrho. I haven't found any bugzillas specifically for this but I think it's probably time to open one.

I decided to create 5 new dummy scenes. I call them "Front Door Button 1" through "Front Door Button 5", and assigned them to scenes 11-15, respectively. Thus an audit of the controller should return "configuration from the controller" matching button 1 to scene 11, button 2 to scene 12, etc:

Code:
                        Button 4 - scene 14
                        Button 2 - scene 12
                        Button 5 - scene 15
                        Button 3 - scene 13
                        Button 1 - scene 11
                        Note that I'm leaving the buttons in the order returned from the audit report.

I tried saving button 5 to a new scene repeatedly and re-auditing between attempts to apparently no effect. Eventually I went through and assigned each button to the matching scene name (through the button's zwave tab, settings area) in order (button 1 through button 5) and then repeated that -- resaving button 1 to the front door button 1 scene - scene 11, then button 2 to its scene (scene 12), etc. and then did an audit and got the following "configuration from the controller" mappings:

Code:
                        Button 4 - scene 11
                        Button 2 - scene 14
                        Button 5 - scene 12
                        Button 3 - scene 15
                        Button 1 - scene 13
                        Then I re-saved scene 11 to button 1. No change.
                        Re-saved scene 12 to button 2, which changed button 4's settings from scene 11 to scene 14:

Code:
                        Button 4 - scene 14
                        Button 2 - scene 14
                        Button 5 - Scene 12
                        Button 3 - scene 15
                        Button 1 - scene 13
                        Re-saved button 1. seems to have updated button 4 back to scene 11.

Code:
                        Button 4 - scene 11
                        Button 2 - scene 14
                        Button 5 - scene 12
                        Button 3 - scene 15
                        Button 1 - scene 13
                        re-saved button 2 -- which changed button 4 back to scene 14.

Code:
                        Button 4 - scene 14
                        Button 2 - scene 14
                        Button 5 - scene 12
                        Button 3 - scene 15
                        Button 1 - scene 13
                        saved button 2 as scene 13, which changed button 5 to scene 13.

Code:
                        Button 4 - scene 14
                        Button 2 - scene 14
                        Button 5 - scene 13
                        Button 3 - scene 15
                        Button 1 - scene 13
                        saved button 2 back to scene 12, which changed button 5 to scene 12.

Code:
                        Button 4 - scene 14
                        Button 2 - scene 14
                        Button 5 - scene 12
                        Button 3 - scene 15
                        Button 1 - scene 13
                        saved button 2 as scene 12 again. no change.
                        resaved button 3 as scene 13. no change.
                        saved button 3 as scene 12 -- which changed button 1 to scene 12.

Code:
                        Button 4 - scene 14
                        Button 2 - scene 14
                        Button 5 - scene 12
                        Button 3 - scene 15
                        Button 1 - scene 12
                        Anyone seeing a pattern here that I'm missing? It's not like it's 1:1 mis-mapping things. Changing scene button 2's settings have so far changed button 4 and button 5 (but so far not button 2).

I'm going to keep playing but this clearly is not behaving as you'd expect...

Comment

On the root device, what do you see when you click on Associations under the Z-Wave tab?

Here are my Settings for button 1 (attached), are yours similar?
                          Here is my event (attached)
                          Attached Files

Comment

I think you may have attached the wrong image? But here is my root (after clicking update in the associations area)

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 12.00.19.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1184324

I've been messing with going to different buttons and assigning different groups to monitor what they do. I feel like I'm playing with a Rubix cube and haven't figured out the pattern of moves yet needed to get that last square right I got as close as:

Code:
                            Button 4 - scene 12
                            Button 2 - scene 12
                            Button 5 - scene 15
                            Button 3 - scene 13
                            Button 1 - scene 11
                            and then trying to get that last button (button 4) to scene 14, I managed to change button 5 back to scene 12 instead. Gaah!

Comment

I did notice that if I had the same scene mapped to different buttons that they all acted the same. Have you ever gotten any button to work? How many times have you removed the device and re-added it?

Comment

Working...
                              X