Cooper Scene Controller - Scenes do not seem to program properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only removed and re-added it once.

I just did some more testing and identified at least a partial pattern -- when you run an audit of the device it returns the buttons in the order: 4, 2, 5, 3, 1. If you change the scene assigned to button 4 in HS3 and press save, then audit, both buttons 4 and 2 are assigned whatever scene number you set on button 4. For every other button, it sets only the next button in line's scene number on the device. I.e. if you change and save button 2, it actually modifies button 5. Save and change button 5 and it modifies button 3. Save and change button 3 and it modifies button 1. Save and modify button 1... nothing happens. (Though I did have in my notes that once, it edited button 4... I don't know whether that was bad note taking or if it actually happened and I just can't get it to repeat that now. Okay, actually now that I'm looking at my notes for the 100th time, I'm seeing a couple of cases where I noted changing one button's settings and it changing two other devices to different values. So, I guess I still have no idea!)

I still can't get the scene controller to return any associations with my devices.

Comment

Started digging around and found ZWave_Scan_Report.txt in the debug logs folder...

Code:
      Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 3:44:44 PM

========================= Node 17 ============================
      Z-Wave Device is FOUND and is called Node 17 Z-Wave Cooper Wiring Static Controller Node 17 Root
      Generic Type = STATIC CONTROLLER
      Basic Type = STATIC CONTROLLER
      Specific Type = SCENE CONTROLLER
      Capabilities=0x92
      Security=0x96
      Manufacturer = Cooper Wiring (0x1A), Type 0x574D, ID 0x0
      Manufacturer information does NOT match any certified or known products.
      Classes are Present:
      ..........Supported: COMMAND_CLASS_INDICATOR
      ..........Supported: COMMAND_CLASS_NODE_NAMING
      ..........Supported: COMMAND_CLASS_VERSION_V2
      ..........Supported: COMMAND_CLASS_APPLICATION_STATUS
      ..........Supported: COMMAND_CLASS_SCENE_CONTROLLER_CONF
      ..........Supported: COMMAND_CLASS_ASSOCIATION
      ..........Supported: COMMAND_CLASS_MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC
      ..........Supported: COMMAND_CLASS_CONTROLLER_REPLICATION
      ..........Supported: COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION
      HomeID = E67315E1
      Version = 3
      Reports that it has association group limits, with a max of 5
      Has Association Groups: 5
      Has The Following Associations:
              ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      SCENE_CONTROLLER_CONF Ver=1
              Scene Button=1
              Scene Button=2
              Scene Button=3
              Scene Button=4
              Scene Button=5
       *** ROOT DEVICE ***
       --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      Thought this line in particular was interesting: "Manufacturer information does NOT match any certified or known products." Anyone else see this in their debug log if they re-scan their cooper 5 scene controller?

Comment

I have 5 of those 5-button controllers and never had an issue with them following the same procedures you outlined. They worked the first time I set them up. Most of the controlled devices are also Cooper with the exception of 2 old Intermatic Appliance Modules, an Aeon micro controller and two Leviton switched outlets.

All of these are fully scene capable with the exception of the two Intermatic modules, however, these worked both with and without the "allow scenes for non-scene capable devices..." box checked in the zwave plugin interface configuration. They all also work even if my HS machine and znet are powered down, meaning everything resides within the 5-button controllers.

The only involvement homeseer has in these scenes is providing status on the web and keeping indicator lights in synch for the many virtual 3, 4, and 5-way switches/dimmers I've created with these.

I know I've not helped any so far, but wanted to reassure you that the devices should work as designed and should not be a difficult item to get to work.

I currently use a znet as my zwave interface, however, I used a ztroller initially and it worked as well. I think you're using a znet based on the messages you've posted, but I'm not sure.

I've never viewed the zwave_scan_report you posted, so I cannot confirm what is included in mine (I will try to look at mine in the next couple of days... busy so can't promise) but, do you think you could have gotten either a counterfeit device or one with bad firmware or some other defect?

Where did you get yours from? Maybe you should work an RMA. I always order from Westway electric, and they dropship directly from Eaton in Charlotte, NC so I know I get genuine products... Eaton has a factory here in Fayetteville too, so the things might be made here for all I know.

I think it's much more likely you got a bad device than a counterfeit, so at least asking about an RMA with your supplier may be a start.
        John
        Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
        Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
        HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
        Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Originally posted by jrfuda View Post
          I have 5 of those 5-button controllers and never had an issue with them following the same procedures you outlined. They worked the first time I set them up. Most of the controlled devices are also Cooper with the exception of 2 old Intermatic Appliance Modules, an Aeon micro controller and two Leviton switched outlets.

All of these are fully scene capable with the exception of the two Intermatic modules, however, these worked both with and without the "allow scenes for non-scene capable devices..." box checked in the zwave plugin interface configuration. They all also work even if my HS machine and znet are powered down, meaning everything resides within the 5-button controllers.

The only involvement homeseer has in these scenes is providing status on the web and keeping indicator lights in synch for the many virtual 3, 4, and 5-way switches/dimmers I've created with these.
          Beautiful. This gives me hope -- its exactly what I was hoping for!

I currently use a znet as my zwave interface, however, I used a ztroller initially and it worked as well. I think you're using a znet based on the messages you've posted, but I'm not sure.
          Yes, I use a znet.

I've never viewed the zwave_scan_report you posted, so I cannot confirm what is included in mine (I will try to look at mine in the next couple of days... busy so can't promise) but, do you think you could have gotten either a counterfeit device or one with bad firmware or some other defect?

Where did you get yours from? Maybe you should work an RMA. I always order from Westway electric, and they dropship directly from Eaton in Charlotte, NC so I know I get genuine products... Eaton has a factory here in Fayetteville too, so the things might be made here for all I know.

I think it's much more likely you got a bad device than a counterfeit, so at least asking about an RMA with your supplier may be a start.
          Thanks, I'll try opening a ticket -- I purchased from the HomeSeer Store. (Actually I tried to open a ticket yesterday but never got the signup email so I could create an account so I could submit a ticket. Will try again today.)

Comment

FYI I called the support number and they validated my support account so that I could submit a ticket. Just submitted the ticked with a brief explanation and link to this thread. Will update when we make progress...

Comment

Homeseer is sending a replacement and return instructions for the one I have now. Hope that solves it!

Comment

replacement controller - same behavior

Got the replacement in the mail today. Excluded the old controller, installed the new one, included it into the network. Attempted to add scenes to buttons 1 and 2. Then, starting with all buttons off. Press Button 1:

Code:
                Apr-27 19:39:40	 	Z-Wave	ApplicationCommandHandler from node 18 HANDLING: COMMAND_CLASS_SCENE_ACTIVATION Frame(7)=1
                Apr-27 19:39:40	 	Z-Wave	Device: Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to Scene On
                Apr-27 19:39:41	 	Z-Wave	Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 is running Z-Wave Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights
                Button 1 indicator is on. Scene did not actually activate. Press button 1 again:

Code:
                Apr-27 19:40:05	 	Z-Wave	ApplicationCommandHandler from node 18 HANDLING: COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC Frame(7)=1
                Apr-27 19:40:06	 	Z-Wave	180ZNET: Sending to node 18 (UnSecured) CC=COMMAND_CLASS_INDICATOR
                Apr-27 19:40:06	 	Z-Wave	ApplicationCommandHandler from node 18 HANDLING: COMMAND_CLASS_INDICATOR Frame(7)=3
                Apr-27 19:40:06	 	Z-Wave	Device: Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to OFF
                Button 1 indicator is off. Press button 2:

Code:
                Apr-27 19:40:36	 	Z-Wave	ApplicationCommandHandler from node 18 HANDLING: COMMAND_CLASS_SCENE_ACTIVATION Frame(7)=1
                Apr-27 19:40:36	 	Z-Wave	Device: Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 2 Set to Scene On
                Apr-27 19:40:37	 	Z-Wave	Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 2 is running Z-Wave Saved Scene Front Door Wall Lights
                Button 2 indicator is on. Scene did not activate. Press button 2 again:

Code:
                Apr-27 19:40:58	 	Z-Wave	ApplicationCommandHandler from node 18 HANDLING: COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC Frame(7)=1
                Apr-27 19:40:59	 	Z-Wave	180ZNET: Sending to node 18 (UnSecured) CC=COMMAND_CLASS_INDICATOR
                Apr-27 19:40:59	 	Z-Wave	ApplicationCommandHandler from node 18 HANDLING: COMMAND_CLASS_INDICATOR Frame(7)=3
                Apr-27 19:40:59	 	Z-Wave	Device: Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to ON
                Apr-27 19:40:59	 	Z-Wave	Device: Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 2 Set to OFF
                Button 2 indicator is off but button 1 indicator turned on. I am sure I only hit button 2. How did Button 1 get turned on?? Press button 1 again (indicator was on at time of press

Code:
                Apr-27 19:44:16	 	Z-Wave	ApplicationCommandHandler from node 18 HANDLING: COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC Frame(7)=1
                Apr-27 19:44:17	 	Z-Wave	180ZNET: Sending to node 18 (UnSecured) CC=COMMAND_CLASS_INDICATOR
                Apr-27 19:44:17	 	Z-Wave	ApplicationCommandHandler from node 18 HANDLING: COMMAND_CLASS_INDICATOR Frame(7)=3
                Apr-27 19:44:17	 	Z-Wave	Device: Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1 Set to OFF
                Code:
                Auditing node 18 (Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1) ...

HomeSeer was able to send a frame to the node.
                HomeSeer was able to query the node and receive information back from it.
                The node's neighbor rating is: Neighbor Information is not Applicable for this node type.
                This node supports associations on the following groups:
                      Group 1:
                            Z-Wave Node 1 180ZNET (Node 1)
                This node is a Scene Controller - Scene configuration information is as follows:
                      Device Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 4, button 4 Has No Manual or Saved Scene in the HomeSeer Device.
                      Device Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 4, button 4 Configuration Data from the Controller: Scene ID 0, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene: 

Device Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 2, button 2 is configured to use Saved Scene Front Door Wall Lights, Scene ID 2, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene: 
                          Scene Member:Studio Front Door Outside Wall Lights (Node 15): On
                      Device Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 2, button 2 Configuration Data from the Controller: Scene ID 0, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene: 
                         Scene Member: Z-Wave Node 1 180ZNET (Node 1) (Non-Scene capable device - cannot retrieve scene level information.)

Device Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 5, button 5 Has No Manual or Saved Scene in the HomeSeer Device.
                      Device Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 5, button 5 Configuration Data from the Controller: Scene ID 2, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene: 

Device Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 3, button 3 Has No Manual or Saved Scene in the HomeSeer Device.
                      Device Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 3, button 3 Configuration Data from the Controller: Scene ID 0, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene: 

Device Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1, button 1 is configured to use Saved Scene Front Door Overhead Lights, Scene ID 5, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene: 
                      Device Node 18 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 1, button 1 Configuration Data from the Controller: Scene ID 0, with a Ramp Rate of Instant, and has these nodes in the scene: 
                         Scene Member: Z-Wave Node 1 180ZNET (Node 1) (Non-Scene capable device - cannot retrieve scene level information.)

Comment

Seems like these Cooper RFWC5DW's just don't play nicely with HS controllers. I too struggled trying to get mine to work.

This weekend I'll try to remove all the scene programming I did in the switch then program events right in HS based on a button press. Hope this works...

Comment

Working...
                  X