Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alexa/HomeSeer combination more capable then documentation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa/HomeSeer combination more capable then documentation?

Am I correct that theoretically Alexa / Homeseer combination could do a lot more than the following commands per the documentation? It seems to me that the HomeSeer receives more information from Alexa which appears to be presented to the HS VR engine. Maybe I am wrong, but there seems to be more capability here then what is being outlined in the documentation. For example, I have tried "Alexa, tell HomeSeer to turn on the deck lights for 30 minutes" and "Alexa, tell HomeSeer to turn on the backyard deck lights at 12:30 AM" which seems to have worked. The additional "for 30 minutes" and "at 12:30 AM" context is what makes this combination so much more powerful than what is possible with similar solutions.

How capable or limited is this in contrast to the regular HS VR engine via microphone? It would seem to me unless there are restrictions that HomeSeer Technologies would want to extend the Alexa/HomeSeer experiences to the fullest possible.

Working with Devices per the HS Documentation:
    Use the syntax and examples below to construct phrases that will control and obtain status from HomeSeer devices.
    "{Attention Phrase} {Command} {Location 2} {Location 1} {Device Name}"*

Controlling HomeSeer Devices*
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to} {Turn on the} {Light}"
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to} {Turn on the}*{Bathroom} {Light}"
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to} {Turn on the} {First Floor}*{Bathroom} {Light}"
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to} {Unlock the} {Door Lock}"
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to} {Unlock the}*{Kitchen} {Door Lock}"
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to} {Unlock the}*{First Floor}*{Kitchen} {Door Lock}"
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to} {Set the} {Outside Lights} {to 50%}"
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to} {Set the} {Kitchen} {Outside Lights}*{to 50%}"
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to} {Set the}*{First Floor}*{Kitchen} {Outside Lights}*{to 50%}"

Controlling "All" HomeSeer Devices*
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to}*{Turn on all the}*{Lights}"
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to}*{Turn on all the}*{Living Room}*{Lights}"
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to}*{Set all}*{Living Room}*{Lights} {to 50%}"
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to}*{Turn off all the}*{First Floor}*{Lights}"

Obtaining Status From HomeSeer Devices
    "{Alexa,*Tell HomeSeer to}*{Get the*status of the}*{Door Lock}"
    "{Alexa,*Tell HomeSeer to}*{Get the*status of the}*{Kitchen}*{Door Lock}"
    "{Alexa,*Tell HomeSeer to}*{Get the*status of the}*{First Floor}*{Kitchen}*{Door Lock}"

Working with Events*
    Use the syntax and examples below to construct phrases that will launch HomeSeer events.
    Tip: Consider changing your Event Names if the phrases you're required to use sound unnatural in any way.
    "{Attention Phrase}*{Command}*{Event Name}*{Command}"

Launching HomeSeer Events
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to} {Run the Event} {Turn all lights off}"
    "{Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to} {Run the}*{Turn all lights off}*{Event}"
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

My understanding is that the Echo Skill does this. It takes what is said and sends it directly to the VR engine in HS to be parsed and acted upon.

The Smart Home API for the echo is more limited to only be able to turn things on and off and I think set thermostats, but you don't have to do the "tell homeseer" phrase.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
      My understanding is that the Echo Skill does this. It takes what is said and sends it directly to the VR engine in HS to be parsed and acted upon.
      That's not how I see it. When you wake the Echo with 'Alexa', your voice is then recorded/processed by Amazon and converted as TTS. That text is then sent to your Homeseer server as a JSON string where it is processed by HS3.
      Jon

Comment

User AgileHumor posted some cheat sheets re: Echo API - you can do a little more with it now:
        Attached Files
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
          That's not how I see it. When you wake the Echo with 'Alexa', your voice is then recorded/processed by Amazon and converted as TTS. That text is then sent to your Homeseer server as a JSON string where it is processed by HS3.
          I stand corrected . I thought this was how it worked, or at least would make more sense to give you more flexibility. But now that I think about it, it makes sense now.

Thanks Jon!

Comment

Does Alexa lock actually work now? I thought lock and unlock didn't for security reasons. That's why I had to setup IFTT to control my kwickset lock.

Comment

Originally posted by str1der View Post
              Does Alexa lock actually work now? I thought lock and unlock didn't for security reasons. That's why I had to setup IFTT to control my kwickset lock.
              With the Homeseer skill (Alexa, tell Homeseer to....) and this, you can do what you like.
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                With the Homeseer skill (Alexa, tell Homeseer to....) and this, you can do what you like.
                I was referring to the list of commands that rmasonjr listed above. They don't have the "tell homeseer"

Comment

I was referring to the list of commands that rmasonjr listed above. They don't have the "tell homeseer"
                  I tried "Alexa, lock the door lock" and it worked.

I then tried "Alexa, unlock the door lock" and it would never work. I *think* it might be because I called the device "Door Lock" and maybe she was getting confused?

So, in short, it's hit-or-miss right now with door locks.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

I then tried "Alexa, unlock the door lock" and it would never work. I *think* it might be because I called the device "Door Lock" and maybe she was getting confused?

They (Amazon) intentionally don't allow you to unlock doors via the Smart Home API (for security reasons).

Comment

Originally posted by AllanMar View Post
                      They (Amazon) intentionally don't allow you to unlock doors via the Smart Home API (for security reasons).
                      Which, in my opinion, makes complete and utter sense. Granted, the likely hood of someone yelling "Alexa, unlock the front door" is unlikely as they likely won't know you have an Echo, I understand why it would be removed. Personally, if they did allow it, I would like an option to disable it.

Comment

Originally posted by AllanMar View Post
                        Ahhh - good info - thanks!

Comment

You could just create a virtual device that you could control by voice and have it control the lock if you really wanted this functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

I have Kwikset lock but can't get it to work. How do you get it into the smarthome API?

Comment

I have Kwikset lock but can't get it to work. How do you get it into the smarthome API?
                              I did it just like Wayne said above - I created a virtual device to turn on/off which triggers events to lock the door.

Comment

Working...
                              X