RFID tags in shoes to unlock door?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFID tags in shoes to unlock door?

Has anyone ever tried putting RFID tags into shoes and used a reader under a door mat to unlock a door? This would be nice to not worry about carrying around a fob or card for younger members of the family. Mark

I'm not sure many uses on this message board have experimented with the short range RFID sensors. The long range units would take some rework to fit them in and then I'm not sure the electronics would hold up in a shoe. Then there's the issue with multiple pairs of shoes. This is an interesting idea though.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

RE: rfid check in

You could try and incorporate a Nike Plus into your system.
      Here are some interesting links on hacking it....

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives..._check-ins.php

http://smus.com/nike-hacking-with-python

Comment

I've thought many times about true reliable presence detection and never settled on anything I could implement so opted for a more manual approach (a push button). These are my thoughts;

RFID Inactive - Very short range (down to a couple of inches I seem to remember), unless you try and place the receiver plate under the doorstep to try and catch you walking in the house then I can't see it working.
        RFID Active - Requires additional electronics that are more suited to being in a car than carrying with you 24x7, then you have replacement batteries to consider.
        BlueTooth - Terrible battery drain on mobile phone clients and for non-phone clients it requires additional power source.
        Google Lattitude - Also I found it a terrible battery hog and then data considerations to add into it, the principle of it is great though.

What do I leave the house with most? I'd say my phone - I only was getting a days worth of charge with Bluetooth/Google enabled which was more trouble constantly recharging my phone. Not going to be completely accurate if I install anything in the car as sometimes I go to work on the bus, or I go out and get picked up so it would not for me be reliable on its own.

I did think shoes but would it be cost effective to put them in every pair? Do you want to tear them apart (preventing you from returning them), whats the wife going to think etc.

The last consideration was to try and build something like the security tagging systems you get in shops, cost prohibitive to buy a system but the thought of whether I could build a setup with RF transmitters with just a single piece of wire running down the doorframe is still an idea I have. Using the stick on security tags you can hide absolutely everywhere and anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
          I've thought many times about true reliable presence detection and never settled on anything I could implement so opted for a more manual approach (a push button). These are my thoughts;

RFID Inactive - Very short range (down to a couple of inches I seem to remember), unless you try and place the receiver plate under the doorstep to try and catch you walking in the house then I can't see it working.
          RFID Active - Requires additional electronics that are more suited to being in a car than carrying with you 24x7, then you have replacement batteries to consider.
          BlueTooth - Terrible battery drain on mobile phone clients and for non-phone clients it requires additional power source.
          Google Lattitude - Also I found it a terrible battery hog and then data considerations to add into it, the principle of it is great though.

What do I leave the house with most? I'd say my phone - I only was getting a days worth of charge with Bluetooth/Google enabled which was more trouble constantly recharging my phone. Not going to be completely accurate if I install anything in the car as sometimes I go to work on the bus, or I go out and get picked up so it would not for me be reliable on its own.

I did think shoes but would it be cost effective to put them in every pair? Do you want to tear them apart (preventing you from returning them), whats the wife going to think etc.

The last consideration was to try and build something like the security tagging systems you get in shops, cost prohibitive to buy a system but the thought of whether I could build a setup with RF transmitters with just a single piece of wire running down the doorframe is still an idea I have. Using the stick on security tags you can hide absolutely everywhere and anywhere.
          I use iAutomate RFID with my garage doors. Generally works well, although I do have some "ghost" openings and Closings at times - completely inconsistent and unpredictable to drill down to cause. Given that, I would probably stay far away from anything that has RF in, when it comes to unlocking house doors

Comment

I agree with MrHappy and think using your phone or other wireless device (I use the iTouch extensively) to unlock the door would be a better approach. I use the Prowl app on my iTouch to get Homeseer messages pushed to my device. I have not researched it but it seems to me there should be a way for homeseer to detect if a WIFI device has connected to the network. If so, you could automatically unlock the door whenever your WIFI device came into range. I think this would be pretty secure because it relies on the WIFI password etc.

Food for thought.......

Steve Q
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Wifi is one way, providing your device does always connect to the wifi network when it is there, and your checking interval is quite short, the other way is (if you have a data, and GPS enabled phone) to use one of the latitude scripts so that if your distance from home becomes <0.1km or whatever, then call occupancy ON. then on device change (when occupancy changes from OFF to ON) you could unlock doors.

I do the reverse for vacuuming the house with the Samsung Navibot, when Occupancy changes from ON to OFF, start vacuuming. And with my Laptop (Desktop Replacement), it turns it off. When i get home and Occupancy changes from OFF to ON, it sends a Wake on LAN.

I do like the shoe idea, but knowing my luck id wear the wrong shoes
              HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

I also like the shoe idea especially when going for a run and not carrying a phone.

When the Cheaper RFID tags were first available there were lots of ideas proposed. You might want to check some of those old threads. I especially remember one guy who wanted to subcutaneously implant the RFID tag! The idea of sewing them into the kids backpacks was very good!

Google Latitude does not work at my rural location. I don't have 3 WIFI signals so it can't triangulate my location.

I will experiment with WIFI. I think it could be very interesting. The iphone PROWL app also you to redirect to any URL or an application upon receipt of a pushed message. I thinkI can redirect to an HTML page that runs an .asp script to runa homeseer event. If so, Homeseer could run any event when your Phone(wireless device) connects to your LAN.

Steve Q
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post

I will experiment with WIFI. I think it could be very interesting. The iphone PROWL app also you to redirect to any URL or an application upon receipt of a pushed message. I thinkI can redirect to an HTML page that runs an .asp script to runa homeseer event. If so, Homeseer could run any event when your Phone(wireless device) connects to your LAN.

Steve Q
                  Hey Steve,

Did you get anywhere with experimenting using Wi-Fi for unlocking the door? Sounds to me like a pretty sane idea to remove the need for unlocking your door.. And if you go for a run.. most of the new z wave locks have the PIN option anyway. so no need.

Comment

It does sound cool, except I have visions of the house going all HAL, and when you get home and want the door to be opened it would respond with
                    "I am afraid i cannot let you do that Dave"
                    HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by dj_siek View Post
                      Hey Steve,

Did you get anywhere with experimenting using Wi-Fi for unlocking the door? Sounds to me like a pretty sane idea to remove the need for unlocking your door.. And if you go for a run.. most of the new z wave locks have the PIN option anyway. so no need.
                      Yes, I am able to detect when my iTouch returns home. Here is the approach I am using:
                      1. I have cheaper RFID tags in both cars.
                      2. When a tag goes out of range or comes back into range. An event is triggered to run a script that pings my iTouch to see if it is in range.
                      3. The script simply send a ping every 4 seconds for up to 2 minutes or until a positive response is received. If a positive response is obtained an event is triggered to wake up the house.
                      4. I don't have any automated locks but, the same event could easily unlock the door.

I have been using this approach for several months now and it works quite well. My primary use is differentiate when both my wife and I leave in the same car versus when we leave separtely. It works great.

Steve Q

Comment

Working...
                      X