Panic button and what it can do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panic button and what it can do

So I am turning my attention to a zwave panic button and how it can be used with Homeseer.

Has anyone deployed these yet and if so what did you do script wise?

I see them on sale in the HS store. here is what I thought

1: text local friends / relatives with " medical help needed"
    2: text 911 if they support that
    3: use the cheap usb modem adapter or a skype / ip interface to call 911 and speak a repeating message with your address and help needed
    4: override auto lock on your door and unlock it and keep it open
    5: rapidly flash the outside lights and play and audio file asking for help.

any other ideas or comments?
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

so your not looking for it to do anything other than actual panic alerting?

if you are..
    you could have it as a "Good Night" and it will shutdown everything, lock doors, set alarm, etc...
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

We sell these where I work and we use a different z-wave controller. When we release an elderly care package, we make sure to write alerts for battery levels and for out of communication. You definitely want to know if the battery is getting low, and you also want to know if the device hasnt checked-in for a period of time. You should be able to do both of these with HS3 and a little scripting.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

so your not looking for it to do anything other than actual panic alerting?
        no, i didnt want to risk confusing the buttons , having more buttons, i just want a very clear emergency button, if your living alone and have a problem and you need emergency response, thats why im thinking medical being the most common.
        detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

We sell these where I work and we use a different z-wave controller. When we release an elderly care package, we make sure to write alerts for battery levels and for out of communication. You definitely want to know if the battery is getting low, and you also want to know if the device hasnt checked-in for a period of time. You should be able to do both of these with HS3 and a little scripting.
          yes , great ideas and easy to do

Comment

following on this idea, is there an ip system or option to allow HS to call 911 and play a recording for help? i know i can do it from a voice modem and a pots phone , im trying to avoid going backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboyslive View Post
              following on this idea, is there an ip system or option to allow HS to call 911 and play a recording for help? i know i can do it from a voice modem and a pots phone , im trying to avoid going backwards.
              You may want to check into state and local regulations. In many areas it's illegal to call 911 through an automated system. In areas where it's not illegal you may get fined for nuisance calls if you accidentally call it.

Cheers
              Al

Edit: Here's an example of Calgary's law re. this:
              No person shall provide, use, maintain or install or permit the use, maintenance or installation of any automatic calling device which is programmed to access any phone number assigned to the Calgary Police Service and includes the emergency telephone number "9-1-1".
              Last edited by sparkman; November 16, 2015, 09:38 PM.
              HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
              Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I've set up a semi-panic button in the bedroom for the wife when I'm working away (done using arduino, not z-wave but same same).

When pressed it will turn on every light in the house, announce if any doors are open and the last motion sensor. It then announces to the dog to "sic 'em". It starts recording on all cameras and finally it messages me (via pushover) so I can call and see whats up.

Comment

Thanks sparkman, but assuming I can do some workaround, whats the best way to have homeseer do this?

Comment

Thanks sparkman, but assuming I can do some workaround, whats the best way to have homeseer do this?
                    Speak to your local agencies (Police/Fire/Ambulance) and ask what they permit you to do if you want some form of help to be summoned on receipt of some action from HS. I know I am several thousand miles away but we have a fixed number of 999 lines into our respective local emergency centres and they would be most displeased should one end up tied up because HS or another system ends up stuck inside some sort of loop that kept on dialling them, wasting operators time, restricting lines for others to get through (especially if it is a small department with only a couple of lines) etc. If it was to get into such a state there would probably be a conversation with the operator around complete disconnection if it happened here.

You might be better establishing if a monitoring service are willing to take you on with some sort of interface between HS and them, they then end up being the gatekeeper between you and the emergency services. You need to be mindful of the terms of HS though - it ain't designed for life and death!

Comment

use a intercom(whole house mic) and speak yourself , because recorded messages is not allowed.
                      even for whole europe.
                      or use the plugin SCSIP from Smartercontrol (duncan) , it has a lot of features.

Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
                      Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Comment

Chilling thought

Hi All,
                        A great thread with some very pertinent points. Definately something I need to think about.
                        I live on my own but recently went to visit friends, whilst away I had a nose bleed, yes I know a minor thing but it did not stop for a day and a half and needed surgery. Guess if I was at home I would have just rung the emergency services and the ambulance would have come, eventually!
                        For me what is scary is I am a heart patient and what would I do if I could not get to the phone, in the U.K. we have a life line service, you can have pull cords and a neck button something which now for me I need to seriously think about. The life line service is 24 hour monitored and provides great peace of mind. The actual systems here does have add ons so guess it might be able to interface with a 3rd party system but I suspect it is not encouraged or regulations apply.
                        The panic button is a great idea perhaps to notify friends or family or a carer but perceive this as a secondary device after emergency services, you may end up in the hospital with no money, or mobile if you have operated your HS Panic button at least someone can do something.
                        I set up for my mum a very simple tablet which had a large red button as a panic button, one press and HS paged all the phones in the house with a panic message, could have easily been the Z-wave panic button worn as a pendant although I suspect my mum god rest her soul would have forgotten to take it off in the shower!

EDIT

Pretty sure I have a z-wave button thought it might be an idea to set it up to send an SMS & an E-mail to my friends, they live over 3 hours away so a text is not to intrusive in the middle of the night. This idea would I guess need to be agreed with them first so as they do not Panic on receiving a strange text in the middle of the night!
                        Last edited by Pervez2602; April 24, 2017, 07:22 AM. Reason: Info added

Comment

BeNext watch is ok, personally I'd place fibaro buttons round the house.

Comment

Working...
                          X