Device Values in HS3 plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Values in HS3 plugin

Hey Blade, I'm not totally sure if this is an issue for you or an HS3 bug, but I figured I'd start here and if you think it's an issue for them I'll put in a report on bugzilla.

I've been working on migrating to HS3 and moving my events over from my HS2 system. I just started working on my events that are triggered by my ECM 1240 power monitors, and I'm using your BLPowerMonitor plugin to talk to my ECM 1240's.

However, I've just discovered that there doesn't appear to be any way for me to actually trigger an event based on any of the devices created by your plugin.

HS3 gives us options for event conditions based on a device's value that look like they might work, such as "This device has a value that is greater than..." or "This device has a value that is less than..." or "This device has a value that is in the range of...". However, none of these will actually trigger an event when I'm using it with one of the BLPowerMonitor devices.

If I go to the configuration screen for one of your devices, then click on the advanced tab I can see that the value is listed as 0 all of the time, and the string has the actual value of the device.

I'm not totally certain what the relationship between the device value and the device string is in HS3, but I'm thinking that your plugin may need to be setting the value instead of (or perhaps in addition to) the string so that these devices can be used to trigger events.

Let me know what your thoughts on this are, or if I'm missing a way to trigger events based on the amount of power that is being drawn.

Thanks,
    Brett

Yea I do not think the plugin sets the value just the string. I think HS2 was the same because I did not add any new functionality.
    Enter a feature request on my site for this. I will get to them once HS3 beta issues die down.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Thanks... feature request added. I'm not sure how much input I get into the priority of this request, however, the inability to trigger events from the plugin devices definitely limits it's usefulness for me.

Thanks again,
      Brett

Comment

Ignore that feature request. I just added it.
        Try 2.0.1 in the updater
        Cheers,
        Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
          Ignore that feature request. I just added it.
          Try 2.0.1 in the updater
          Lol... I think it took you less time to add the feature than it took me to request it. Unfortunately I just left the house for a few hours, but I'll update it later tonight and let you know.

Thanks again for the quick response. I really appreciate it.

Brett

Comment

No problem. It should update the device value. You will have to then play with the device value triggers in HS3
            Cheers,
            Bob

Comment

Looks pretty good. The value is definitely updating and it works with the "This device has a value that is greater than..." or "This device has a value that is less than..." conditions.

For some reason, though, the "This device has a value that is in the range of..." condition isn't working. Whenever I try to set up that condition, no matter what values I select for the range I get the following message:

The custom range entered (0...0) does not fall within any of the ranges available for BLPowerMonitor ECM 1 - AUX2 Absolute Power. Please adjust your selections.

If I ignore the message and just leave it configured the event doesn't trigger. I suspect that this is an HS3 bug as the greater than and less than events conditions do work as expected and I'll put through a ticket for it, but I also wanted to post a message here just in case you're aware of anything that might cause this.

Thanks again for the quick update here.
              Brett

Comment

No problem on the change.
                I do not control those triggers. I believe those are built into HS3.
                Cheers,
                Bob

Comment

Brett.. im looking at this plugin as I have 2 brultech 1240's... can you share what your doing with the events???
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                    Brett.. im looking at this plugin as I have 2 brultech 1240's... can you share what your doing with the events???
                    Right now I'm not doing a whole lot, but I more ideas for the future too. I'm monitoring power usage for a number of my devices with a combination of the ECM 1240's and a number of AEON Labs Z-Wave Smart Switches.

I'm mostly using them to track when things are turned on and off. For example, I have two catgenies for my cats (www.catgenie.com). I love them, but they can sometimes be a bit stinky when they're running, so I installed a vent fan to get rid of any stinky air. I don't want to leave the vent fan running 24/7 because it's a bit loud and it draws a bit of power. So, I can monitor the power usage of the cat genies and detect when they're running. When they start homeseer turns on the vent fan. When the power usage drops again and I know they're off then homeseer will turn off the fan.

I also monitor the power usage of my washer and dryer so homeseer can send me an email when they finish a cycle.

With homeseer 2 I had a few scripts set up to monitor the whole house power usage and display graphs on HS touch... I haven't ported that over to HS3 yet, but it's in the works. I'm also hoping to do similar graphs for individual devices in addition to the whole house.

I'm also planning to monitor power usage for a number of other devices to see if things have been left on or are running properly. For example, by monitoring the power usage of the fridge in my kitchen or the freezer in my garage I can see when the compressor is running. If the compressor is running for too long then it's likely that someone left the door open or something else is wrong. Likewise, if the compressor hasn't started for a while then I'll know something is wrong. HS can notify me and I can check it out... hopefully before anything goes bad.

I'm hoping to monitor the plasma TV in my living room as well. I love the plasma TV, but it draws a bit of power... it can also get an image burned in if it's left with a static image for too long. Occasionally people will leave the TV on and leave the room, so if HS sees that the TV has been on for a number of hours I can be alerted to the fact that someone might have left it on. The TV also has a serial input, so I may even be able to get to the point where HS can turn it off by itself. I'd love to also combine this with some sort of occupancy sensors or something, but so far I don't really have anything for occupancy sensing.

Comment

Working...
                    X