Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using Sinope thermostats with under-floor heating

Hi

Is anyone using Sinope thermostats with under-floor heating in the US? If so, which underfloor solution are you using and are you able to use the temp probe that usually comes with underfloor solutions, or do you have to rely on ambient temp read directly by the Sinope stat?

Thanks
    James
    cheeryfool

http://www.sinopetech.com/en/boutiqu...mmable-3600-w/

Comment

Very interesting. Didn't see that one when I first checked the site. Thanks. Looking to redo our mud/laundry room this year and the 2 biggest requests from my wife are better (and automated) lighting and underfloor heating.
      cheeryfool

Comment

To anyone following this thread; if you are planning a DIY project and are planning to install the heating cable under a tile floor, be aware that heating the floor will cause it to expand and contract more than usual. For me, this caused the grout between the tiles to crack and come loose after 3 years of use and now after 5 years, some of the tiles are starting to get loose. This is very difficult to repair. Because it is a bathroom floor, I only turned the heat on in the morning. In retrospect, I probably should have left the floor on all winter. This would have reduced the expansion and contraction.

Pay close attention to how strong the subfloor is and what kind of tile underlayment is required.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Good advice Steve. I was just staying in a property for a week where they had Underfloor heating in 5 zones (NuHeat stats). This was an old installation, but slate over concrete. No issues there, but what you say makes sense, especially for less robust subfloors
          cheeryfool

Comment

Sinope USD vs CAD price

I reached out to Sinope today to question their pricing, especially in USD. They quote the same dollar amount in both CAD and USD, which puts us in the US at a ~33% disadvantage. I know our friends north of the border aren't going to be crying for us on the southern side, given that it is commonly the reverse situation. In any case, thought I'd ask

Their web team responded and I am now awaiting to hear from their sales team. Will advise if there's any shift from the current situation.
            cheeryfool

Comment

I just stumbled onto this thread. I have a heated floor in my bathroom - thermosoft with their programmable thermostat. It has a sensor wire coming from the floor and 110V in the box to power the thermostat.

If I replace with the Sinope TH1300RF and Spud's plugin will I be able to control the thermostat or do I need the web interface GT-125 as well? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
                I just stumbled onto this thread. I have a heated floor in my bathroom - thermosoft with their programmable thermostat. It has a sensor wire coming from the floor and 110V in the box to power the thermostat.

If I replace with the Sinope TH1300RF and Spud's plugin will I be able to control the thermostat or do I need the web interface GT-125 as well? Thanks.
                To control the thermostat from Homeseer with my plugin you will need the GT-125 interface

Comment

Is the Sinope TH1300RF a simple replacement for a NuHeat non-wifi thermostat? I realize I will need the GT-125 interface, but hoping it is a simple swap.

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post
                    Is the Sinope TH1300RF a simple replacement for a NuHeat non-wifi thermostat? I realize I will need the GT-125 interface, but hoping it is a simple swap.
                    Anybody know the answer to this?

Comment

I imagine it will. According to sinope it "works with any sensor of 10 K or 12 K at 25 °C is compatible with TH1300 thermostats. If your sensor corresponds to this characteristic, it doesn’t need to be changed." Other than that it is just a matter of hooking up the 110 power and the load. I have a Thermosoft thermostat that I might replace - doesnt actually say what the sensor rating is but I assume that this is pretty standard. My only issue is that the whole process involves buying the thermostat, then an interface unit, then a plugin. Ideally I could use a z-wave thermostat but the only manufacturer that I have found so far doesn't make one for the US market.

Comment

I imagine it will. According to sinope it "works with any sensor of 10 K or 12 K at 25 °C is compatible with TH1300 thermostats. If your sensor corresponds to this characteristic, it doesn’t need to be changed." Other than that it is just a matter of hooking up the 110 power and the load. I have a Thermosoft thermostat that I might replace - doesnt actually say what the sensor rating is but I assume that this is pretty standard. My only issue is that the whole process involves buying the thermostat, then an interface unit, then a plugin. Ideally I could use a z-wave thermostat but the only manufacturer that I have found so far doesn't make one for the US market.
                        Thanks for the reply. I confirmed this with Sinope today. They indicated that the TH1300RF is a direct replacement for the NuHeat Home thermostat.

You're right about the cost. $175 for the stat, $90 for the interface unit, and $40 for the plugin = $305!

Comment

The worst part about this is that there are multiple wifi thermostats available for underfloor heating - all for less than $200. It goes against my principles to add in an automated stat that doesn't talk to homeseer. However, my biggest concern about this is that it is a multi-part solution - too many things to go wrong.

Comment

The worst part about this is that there are multiple wifi thermostats available for underfloor heating - all for less than $200. It goes against my principles to add in an automated stat that doesn't talk to homeseer. However, my biggest concern about this is that it is a multi-part solution - too many things to go wrong.
                            I'm not familiar with brands other than Sinope and NuHeat. What others are available? And I wonder if they have published APIs that could be used by one of the smart guys around here to write a plugin?

Comment

https://thesmartcave.com/wifi-floor-heat-thermostat/ - Here are a couple more.

Comment

Working...
                              X