www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Help > How-To's

How-To's This area provides in-depth information on how to do something in HomeSeer or home automation.

Old April 16th, 2014, 09:27 PM
OverSeer

RS-232 DIY Stuff

This is a collection of old and current posts relating to DIYing your own RS-232 Cables.

I will attach some old tools that I have utilzed over the years for testing RS-232 serial transport. Here its been a few years now but went to utilizing purchased mostly used commercial devices. Its been years and today my Homeseer 2 boxes are using the same methodology of connectivity. The two Homeseer 2 boxes that I have running today are using one USB port to many serial and USB ports.

Going to start with the oldest stuff. Here my Digi 8 port Edgeports are connect to the hardware with short cables using RJ-45 to RS-232. The regular RS-232 cables were just a bit too thick. I have my hardware on a plywood board.

Here I went to using all 8 wires of the network Cat5e cables a few years back.

1 - Making a custom Z-Troller extender serail cable serial and power cable with Cat5e

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.387 | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

Last edited by Pete; April 18th, 2014 at 12:42 PM.