Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SONOS Speakers freeze

Hi Dirk

I moved away from TTS events as I noticed them to be a little slow instead I use a line-in to one of my Connect Amps from my HS Server.

I then have an event group for each speaker and copy a main speak event which is EAGLE54-HAEFAULT
    I can then easily setup speech events per speaker by coping this event.

Depending on the speaker - the group actions change ie the group actions for the living room come under the event group for the living room speakers.

The problem is that occasional one or two speakers seem to freeze, i.e you cant select anything to play from the playlist, then you get red lines through the device. Two screens taken whilst this fault has occurred on the bathroom speaker and i am unable to play event, or do anything with the speaker. The only solution I have found which seems to recover it - is restarting the whole sonos plugin.

It also seems random on how many or which speakers and I haven't been able to associate an event or common cause?

Have you any thoughts on what may be wrong?

I'm not even sure if I am causing this by these events - bathroom has three events for speech, an end event and group actions and nothing more.

Have you come across faults like below where you get the red lines through the mute, repeat, shuffle and no matter what you press or select add to playlist - it does not respond? Even if I play something through the actual SONOS app, although that works - the bathroom speaker still is unresponsive?

Thanks Chris
    Attached Files

Originally posted by smokeycoles View Post
    Hi Dirk

I moved away from TTS events as I noticed them to be a little slow instead I use a line-in to one of my Connect Amps from my HS Server.

I then have an event group for each speaker and copy a main speak event which is EAGLE54-HAEFAULT
    I can then easily setup speech events per speaker by coping this event.

Depending on the speaker - the group actions change ie the group actions for the living room come under the event group for the living room speakers.

The problem is that occasional one or two speakers seem to freeze, i.e you cant select anything to play from the playlist, then you get red lines through the device. Two screens taken whilst this fault has occurred on the bathroom speaker and i am unable to play event, or do anything with the speaker. The only solution I have found which seems to recover it - is restarting the whole sonos plugin.

It also seems random on how many or which speakers and I haven't been able to associate an event or common cause?

Have you any thoughts on what may be wrong?

I'm not even sure if I am causing this by these events - bathroom has three events for speech, an end event and group actions and nothing more.

Have you come across faults like below where you get the red lines through the mute, repeat, shuffle and no matter what you press or select add to playlist - it does not respond? Even if I play something through the actual SONOS app, although that works - the bathroom speaker still is unresponsive?

Thanks Chris
    I suspect that the player showing "red lined" is actually the PI being unable to talk to it, if it happens again, go to the PI config page, turn on the debug flag, go back to the player control screen and try to do something like click play. Capture the log an post.

Did you capture the 2 screen shots above at the same time? The player control page seems to indicate the player to be off-line (note to self to add some indication in a future release to that affect) BUT the player table that you have partly blanked out seems to indicate that all the players are actually on-line ... UNLESS the two screen shots weren't taken at the same time the issue was happening.

Having that said, I think we lose the players due to some reason. First of all you should upgrade to the latest version that was posted yesterday, just to make sure you inadvertently ran into some other issue. Do note thought that the latest PI version fixes a discovery issue, so if we lose the players that is due to a totally different reason, the new version won't solve that, it solves an issue where they are not re-discovered when they come back on-line (only happen when multiple players come on-line at same time, which tend to only happen during SW upgrades or PI restarts).

You could perhaps leave the debug flag on and when it happens, cut the relevant part out of the log file.

I think I wrote it before, having a simple announcement take 7 seconds to start indicates another issue. I was testing it yesterday, it takes a second. However, it really depends on what they player was doing, so the easiest way to test it is to create let's say a linkgroup with only the master bedroom in it (source and destination), create a speak event and run it manually. Does that take 7 seconds? If so, take a log and post it. One thing to try is to delete everything out of the queue of that player and try again. If that goes fast, it means that the player is taking the x seconds to save the queue....

If you are losing players on a regular basis, there could be an issue (network or firewall) lurking under the surface that makes it all so slow. Having that said, I suspect first and foremost saving of the queue to be the biggest impacting factor because that is pretty much the ONLY difference between using it this way or using the line-input of another player.

Dirk

Comment

The two screens were captured at the same time - I thought it was interesting too.
      J would wait till it happens again and post a debug log next time.

I will also upgrade the PI.

Then tomorrow I will experiment with the delays. To be honest I'm happy with the line in switching - it works very well for me. I'm not sure how you would not save the queue when doing TTS.

All interesting stuff and I will report in tomorrow with an update.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeycoles View Post
        I'm not sure how you would not save the queue when doing TTS.
        Way back when I developed the PI, I found out that if you "switch" a player to a line-in from its own or other player, the queue was not "destroyed". Linking players caused the queue to be erased. Fast forward, I should check again, Sonos has made a ton of changes wrt to queue management in the last 2 years, maybe I don't have to save it anymore. Curious to read what your experiment will show.

Dirk

Comment

Working...
        X