No announcement yet.

Eero WiFi system... WOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed recently my one of my Asus Router's SW upgrade added a Mesh config called AI Mesh. I've become a fan of Asus in recent years. That new router that looks like an Alien Spacecraft, and the ROG Laptop that's on my dreamlist and all.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
      Randy,

I have the ubiquity edge router lite (erl) (same hardware as the usg, but different firmware and form factor). I just got an unifi ap-ac-pro to compliment an older uap-lr. I have been debating going to the usg, but it's somewhat limited compare to the erl and actually costs more (over time the Gap is closing as they update the firmware and controller). That said I got the cloud key and the idea of managing everything from one interface is VERY appealing so is pushing me further to the usg even though there is nothing wrong with the erl. The only issue with going all Unifi for me is my requirements for my switch is that it has to fit in my leviton smc. Currently I have a 24 port one in there that is only about 12" across or so and fits perfectly. I wish Ubiquity would make one in this form factor (don't need the Poe for that one but wouldn't mind it).

No matter what, I strongly recommend the Ubiquity Unifi stuff. It's all amazing. If you can wire the APs back to a main switch it is worth it. I considered the Amplifier, but since I didn't really want the mesh I skipped it.

And you're right. It "just works". I plan on getting another ap-ac-pro and one of their out door mesh APs (unifi-mesh) for outside since there are completely weatherproof. The mesh one's can be used as just access points and it's under $100 so worth it to me.

I'm also going to get some of their long range point to point and set up a site to site to my mom's house 2 streets over (at most 600' away) so she can ditch her internet and have better access to my plex library.

Sorry for the rambling but just can't enough about Ubiquity equipment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      The only negative I've found with Ubiquity is the POE switches get really hot (around 108 F), at least the Unfi 8 port one I use does. Hasn't caused any issues but I wouldn't want to put it in an enclosure without some airflow. The Cisco POE switches run a lot cooler, but of course they don't integrate into the Unifi controller and are a LOT more $$$.

Z

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
        The only negative I've found with Ubiquity is the POE switches get really hot (around 108 F), at least the Unfi 8 port one I use does. Hasn't caused any issues but I wouldn't want to put it in an enclosure without some airflow. The Cisco POE switches run a lot cooler, but of course they don't integrate into the Unifi controller and are a LOT more $$$.

Z

Comment

They said it was normal. Didn't ask about the larger port devices. Not really an issue, just gets your attention is all. Only reason I got it was because the ubiquity cameras I previously used weren't 802.3af capable (needed passive) Now on the G3 so it's not an issue anymore.

Z

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
            Not really AP-AC-LRs but that may work (may not, depending on the distance). they actually see mono-directional site to site antennas for doing site to site. I am looking into these:

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/litebeam-ac-gen2/

They are $66 on Amazon, so 2 is just over $130. I've read someone has used them as far as 3.7km (~12000'). They use a proprietary signal from what I understand, so they are only good for point to point. The range might be overkill for my use, but I'm hoping the power will let it cut through any obstacles between us (there are some big oaks that might cause an issue, I'm not sure yet).
            @Frank thanxs for the suggestion, I think it will fit my situation also.

Question(s):
            1. I see the Antenna, is there something else e.g. switch or router that needs to connect ones Ethernet devices to and interface with the antenna?
            2. I'm assuming that these are line of sight installations or can there be minor obstacles in the way?
            3. Looking at the provided website I also see a NanoStation AC that is connected to a camera it doesn't look like the device is a line of sight or am I missing something for a PtP installation, Also I would assume that we need two NanoStation AC with other to connect to a receiving LAN?
            4. Can one have two stations reporting to a third one that's connected to a router/gateway (PtM)?
            Last edited by MNB; January 28, 2018, 01:19 PM.
            Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
            Op System: Windows10 Pro - Work Station
            HS Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0

Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.25,APCUPSD 3.3.2.3,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLEditor 2.0.11.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLOccupied 2.0.28.0,BLShutdown 1.0.6.0,Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206,Device History 3.2.0.2,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,iRobot 5.22.41.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.7,Nest 3.0.0.34,NetCam Plugin 1.0.0.5,PHLocation2 3.0.0.64,Pushover 4.0.10.0,Random 3.0.0.2,Restart 1.0.0.7,Ring 1.0.0.9,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.3,Sonos 3.1.0.59,Sonos4 4.0.1.12,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,UltraMon3 3.0.6554.33094,UltraNetCam3 3.0.6413.20219,Unifi 4.0.32.0,Zigbee 4.0.11.0,Z-Wave 4.0.3.0, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
              I noticed recently my one of my Asus Router's SW upgrade added a Mesh config called AI Mesh. I've become a fan of Asus in recent years. That new router that looks like an Alien Spacecraft, and the ROG Laptop that's on my dreamlist and all.

did you upgrade your firmware to this and what do you think? I like my Asus router but am about 10 or more versions back and skeptical to make the jump fearing problemS

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post

My network has a bunch of other services and features and I could go into that further but you all probably stopped reading way before this sentence. Any how I picked up a wall mount Network cabinet and a pair of rack shelfs for $100 from ebay. This is a pic of my cabinet in the basement that I just moved everything over to. I have a bit more work on it before I am done. I need to finish a few other power control and wiring tasks.
                @Kerat, Many thanxs for sharing your setup and advise, I agree with your assessment of wired AP vs Wireless AP am using that along with @Randy's suggestions. As I made mention earlier for those of us still on the technology learning curve... it is these kind of conversations that help the community at large also thanxs for the photo's they give insight as to how folks are housing their hardware vs horizontal empty surface placement . Mike
                Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
                Op System: Windows10 Pro - Work Station
                HS Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0

Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.25,APCUPSD 3.3.2.3,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLEditor 2.0.11.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLOccupied 2.0.28.0,BLShutdown 1.0.6.0,Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206,Device History 3.2.0.2,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,iRobot 5.22.41.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.7,Nest 3.0.0.34,NetCam Plugin 1.0.0.5,PHLocation2 3.0.0.64,Pushover 4.0.10.0,Random 3.0.0.2,Restart 1.0.0.7,Ring 1.0.0.9,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.3,Sonos 3.1.0.59,Sonos4 4.0.1.12,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,UltraMon3 3.0.6554.33094,UltraNetCam3 3.0.6413.20219,Unifi 4.0.32.0,Zigbee 4.0.11.0,Z-Wave 4.0.3.0, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X