Why integrate the Sprinkler system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why integrate the Sprinkler system?

I just bought a new home and am working on putting in an HA system. The home has a sprinkler system installed and I am trying to figure out what I would realistically gain by trying to integrate it into my HA system? Are most of the folks that are doing this doing it because they are installing new systems? Or are there good reasons to integrate and existing system?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

As someone who doesn't have a sprinkler system, I can't relate the payback associated with integrating your sprinklers with homeseer. I can say if I had sprinklers, I'd definitely connect it to homeseer using mcsSprinkler.

The plug-in will save considerable $ and reduce water consumption by only watering when it's needed and at optimal times when water prices may be lower or more effective watering or both.

This is just my take on the reasoning. I look forward to reading the responses by those who actually do this.
    huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I use a palmpad to control the sprinklers. Easier to winterize.
      programming is easier. Less walking. Iphone control. You don't have to
      go outside. Harder for the mosquitoes to get you in the house...
      Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
        I just bought a new home and am working on putting in an HA system. The home has a sprinkler system installed and I am trying to figure out what I would realistically gain by trying to integrate it into my HA system? Are most of the folks that are doing this doing it because they are installing new systems? Or are there good reasons to integrate and existing system?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
        I use my free package (here: http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1002) beyond what a stock system like yours may do for the following:
        1. Control from any web page or palm pad (as pointed out above). In my case, I'm able to manually bypass a sprinkler schedule while on business travel if I know it is about to rain or the forecast is for lots of wind.
        2. My system allows a virtually infinite number of different schedules, so I have different one's set up. I have one zone where I have some new grass planted, so I water that for a couple of minutes, four times pre day. Separately, I have a regular schedule that waters the entire yard every 3 days. I also have a separate schedule that only deals with the drip lines.
        3. My sprinkler log lets me look back at how when things were watered and for how long. There's been a couple of times when I've disabled the sprinklers and forgot to turn them back on, so the log lets me see how long it has been (when I finally remember to turn it back on... ).
        4. Although I haven't done it yet, it wouldn't be too hard to take rain and wind data from WeatherXML or Blade's Weather plug-in and automatically disable / enable the sprinklers. In the case of my system, there is simply a virtual device that would be turned on or off. When it is off the sprinklers don't run.
        Steve

Comment

mcssprinklers has definitely reduced my water usage the last 3 years.
          tenholde
          tenholde

Comment

Visit zee e-maison : http://www.e-maison.com

Comment

I used the Rainbird enclosure removing the Rainbird controller and replacing it with two Rain-8's. I saved the controller should I need to return to using it. Automating the sprinkler system with an application will allow you to get the "best bang for your buck" relating to water use; especially with increasing water rates. Having individual wireless control over specific zones lets me check the sprinkler heads while I am outside, season shut down and turn on.
              Attached Files
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I automate my sprinklers for a few reasons.

1. As much control as you want over when the system runs.
                2. using Palm pad, I can walk my yard, and turn zones on/off as I walk to verify no issues with the heads.
                3. I have it set up to not come on if it is the weather scripts say it is raining.
                4. I also have it set up to come on in the event of a rare freeze to protect my plants.
                5. Have it connected to HS touch so I can visually see what zone is on, when it last ran, and for how long.

Comment

Working...
                X