Preset Dim and Smartgroup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preset Dim and Smartgroup

Can someone help me here. I am trying to create a simple event whereby our home theater lights (these are Switchlincs on codes B4, B5 and B6) will all Preset Dim to 20% at the same time, i.e., during the coming attractions of the movie. I can create this event and it works if I do not check Smartgroup, but each light Preset Dims one at a time, as expected. Whenever I turn Smartgroup on, however, only B4 Preset Dims and the other lights don't respond at all. I tried this repeatedly and it only works with Smartgroup off, but the lights respond one at a time which is visually displeasing. However, I can get all the lights to turn off with Smartgroup on as a separate event and that works fine.

It seems Preset Dim on multiple lights with Smartgroup is not compatible - at least with Swichlincs. Is this true? If so, is there a workaround?

Thanks,

ach

Not to be a pain, but, can someone test this for me so I know if I am missing something? Am I to assume I cannot set multiple Switchlinc addresses to Preset Dim at the same dimming level at the same time using Smartgroup? Sounds pretty simple, but it does not seem to work.

Comment

I'll take a look at it this weekend. I might want to do the same thing once I get all my new switches installed.

Bill

Comment

Sorry I can't answer your question directly, but I use scenes to have multiple Switchlincs dim to the same level simultaneously.

Comment

Bill, thanks so much. Please test that for me. All you need to do is create 3 devices based on the Switchlincs you install (BTW, are you installing 2 way Switchlincs or the 1 way Switchlinc Plus devices???), make sure you pick Switchlinc as the devicetype and select 'preset dim' as the dimming type. Then, create a simple event and drag the 3 devices into the event, set the 3 devices to preset dim the devices to 50%, and select Smartgroup. Then run the event.

When I do that, only one Switchlinc will preset dim to 50% and the others remain off - no matter how many times I try it. But, if I un-select Smartgroup, all three will preset dim to 50%, albiet one at a time.

I will anxiously await your results.

Will -

My devices are not scene capable - they are Switchlinc Plus devices, I have 40 installed in my house, so I could not do 2 ways due to signal drain.

p.s. Anyone got a workaround for this?

Comment

If they are SwitchLinc Plus then they are scene capable. Mine are 2-way and scene capable, I just didn't want to go through the hassle of programming them. I wish HomeSeer had a 'Linc scene plugin. I'm tempted to write one myself.

Bill

Comment

Bill -

THANK YOU. You may not believe this, but I never tried scenes - I always relied on HS for this task!! Never knew 'dem switches could do that!!! You were right - it works perfectly.

Still, HS should allow this but it does not seem to work. Must be a perfectly good reason, but thanks for the workaround!

Comment

OK. I just need to vent and say that I am the biggest loser and idiot on the Board here. I had HS for 2 years now and I have 40 Switchlincs. Never tried a scene via programming at the switch in my life.

I never tried scenes although I heard of them. I always used HS events triggered by an X-10 command to set my scene lighting. It was painfully slow, smartgroup worked sometimes (see above) and it took, at times, 30 seconds to set the house, light by light. Now I find out it can be instantaneous house-wide using scenes. And, each switch can support 64 scenes. Unreal.

Bill (and Will), I owe you guys big. Now I am a scene monster running around the house with my new toy I never knew I had.

Only problem is, now I only use HS for automating the outside lights at night. I need to graduate to the next level. I need to try, dare I say it, a ...... script!!

-ach

Comment

I have some LampLincs which aren't scene-capable. Unfortunately, I had the same problem you experienced when trying to Smartgroup preset dim commands to them.

I assume that it's just not possible, but if anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to know about it.

Comment

Are we talking hardware limitation or software limitation? Can this feature be fixed in HS?

Comment

I am so glad to hear someone else is having this problem. I have a ton of SwitchLincs and did not notice this post until today. Turning off SmartGroup finally fixed the same problem I've been having for forever.

Would be nice if I could still use SmartGroup with my older (non-preset diming capable) wall switches. Oh well.

Comment

I believe the SmartGroup issue is an X10 protocol limitation involving the use of preset dims. I do not have Switchlincs but I suspect that they use extended "X10" commands to overcome preset-dim limitations. That suggests that HomeSeer should be able to duplicate the scene functionality but would likely require a plug-in. I believe HomeSeer already has a plug-in(s) for other scene capable lighting.
                        Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                        My Hardware & Software

Comment

It is an X10 protocol limitation. SmartGroup uses the non extended X10 on/off/dim/bright commands which include the ability to specifiy multiple units for one house code in a single X10 command. The preset dim command format does not allow for this. It is not possible to do with X10, it is not a HomeSeer limitation.

For the same reasons, if you issue a command like:

hs.ExecX10 "A1+2+3+4", "Preset Dim", 15

Four individual X10 commands will be sent out in sequence. But if you issue this command:

hs.ExecX10 "A1+2+3+4", "On"

One X10 command will go out turning all four lights on at once.

However, it does sound like a "bug" in SmartGroup, although it might be how it was designed. Like ExecX10, it should figure out it has to send 4 commands, rather than just one, but it appears it sends only one, for the first device in the group.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                          X