RFID sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFID sizes

ok I am wondering , I have seen the "chips" thye put under dogs skin are those rfid devices? and if so what is the range? could one be useed to open a door / dog door or let you know when a dog goes out of range?

or is the range too limited on theses, or am i "barking" up the wrong tree
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Those are "passive" RFID tags. They are coded at the time of manufacture with a serial number. Read range of these kinds of tags are about 1-2 inches.

Similar to the Mobile gas stations' SpeedPass (tm) tag, and other retail sales consumer tags. Texas Instruments is a large producer of such.

In Europe, they're embedding such tags in portable gasoline containers and a smart pump reads the tag to know how much fuel to dispense to prevent a spill.

These kinds of tags are also finding their way into prescribed medicines to help avoid dispensing mistakes in hospitals. Also some use in clothing industry - anti-counterfitting and laundries for tracking.

The next step up are writeable passive RFID tags. same read range. getting close to $1 now. Still a long way to go to compete with paper bar code labels.

Comment

When the range gets better I'm going to implant one like THIS guy did!
      --------------------------------------------------
      **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Big Bro?

Just WAIT till the government catches on...all they need is RFID readers with a range of a few feet, and they'll know what we're up to. Even better than ATM cards and credit cards for tracking people.

Of course, identity theft takes on a whole new meaning! VERY 007!

Comment

Ahh now this was my idea anyway, i was just using the dog as an easy example. I am thinking it would make for a VERY suecure key / tracker around your home, a reader in each room and the house would always know who was where, when you come to the front door it would unlock for you etc ect.

now I would just need to get over my fear of BIG needles LOL
          detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Originally posted by firtha
            Just WAIT till the government catches on...all they need is RFID readers with a range of a few feet, and they'll know what we're up to. Even better than ATM cards and credit cards for tracking people.

Of course, identity theft takes on a whole new meaning! VERY 007!
            Take your cell phone with you? You gave US how much info when you signed up?

WE know where you are, when you leave, and our probablity computers can predict where you are going.

007? Very 00old fashioned!

GLT

Comment

Problem is. . . . I work for the government, and when you get an idea like this, then you have to write a proposal and get it approved, and then write a RFP (Request for Proposal), then you have allow everyone who wants to bid on it, enought time to answer the RFP. Then, you open the bids and read them. Then you review them and assign points to what functionality was met by each vendor and the price quoted. Then, you have a meeting to decide which one should be coosen. Then you have the awarding of the project. THEN, the coding and building starts. After about a year, the product is delivered, and troubleshot. Then change orders are made and the product is adjusted to make it meet the requirements. By this time, another company has brought a product out that is better, faster, and more flexible, and it is obsolete. In the meantime, you are using your new program and no one understands the protocol because it was used so long ago. . . .

I dont think we have too much to worry about from the government. Now the high school kids are a different story. . . .
              A computer's attention span is as long
              as it's powercord.

Comment

re slow gov't programs - I have noted in my career that parts of NRO, NSA, CIA, DIA and DoD skip this process for the sake of expedited national security concerns.

Unfortunately, not so DHS; they've figured out how to lengthen the process ten-fold.

Comment

The company implanting RFID in human is Verichip. They have been used for everything from buying drinks at Latin American resorts, to identifing border patrol agents, to identifing hospital patients to make sure they get the correct operation. (This is being done in Italy.) Range is only a few inches. I have written several reports on RFID technology.

Comment

Working...
                  X