Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB long extension for Intermatic Z-Wave Interface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB long extension for Intermatic Z-Wave Interface?

I'd like to place my Intermatic Z-Wave USB Interface further away from the computer and other electronic equipment than the supplied 6' cable would allow.

The only long USB A-M to A-F cables I have found are "Active" ones such as the "Cables Unlimited 16' USB 2.0 Male to Female Active Extension Cable".

Are there any advantages or, more importantly, disadvantages in using an "Active" USB cable?

USB is problematic enough as it is and adding any extensions longer than 6-8 feet will only cause more problems. The active cable has electronics which regenerate the USB signal for maximum reliability and performance over extended distances.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have two 16 foot extensions daisy chained to my z-wave module ( I ran from my custom cabinets over to node 0) and haven't had any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr2bpa
        I have two 16 foot extensions daisy chained to my z-wave module ( I ran from my custom cabinets over to node 0) and haven't had any problems.
        Are they "Active" extensions or plain extensions?

Comment

Comment

As I read it, the USB2 spec limits a cable to 5m using commonly sold cables. You can daisy-chain hubs; I think the limit is 3 or so hubs. The high speed mode's clock delay limits this.

Comment

You need one of these...

USB Extender

I have one on my USB Zwave controller over 20 meters away and it works perfectly

Pretty cheap too.. so good I have several of them for various items (remote IR etc).

Comment

I have been using an extended USB cable that is 120' long and never had a problem with it. Forgot where I got it and I am not at home so I can't check.

I will be back home on the 25th and can check then if still interested I can post the info.

I just did a Google scan for 100' USB when I found it the first time. Been using it for about a year.

Comment

Working...
                X