New Linear Z-Wave Light Bulb - Works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
    I am using the latest ZWave (at least as of last week) plugin, but I don't think I have updated to the latest HS build yet. I'll try applying the update from home later then.
    I was out, so stopped at home for lunch. I discovered that the folder it was trying to download to didn't exist. Created that and tried again (also redownloaded the file) with the renamed file and got this error instead:

Code:
    Current Firmware:   Manufacturer = Nortek Version: 5.8
    Click the button to choose a DIFFERENT firmware file provided by the manufacturer, to be uploaded to the device.
    To start the transfer, press the button on the unit, then press Start. The current file is: /usr/local/HomeSeer/temp/NortekBulb_5_12_-try2.hex 
    [COLOR="Red"]Error reading firmware file: Not Intel HEX file.[/COLOR]
    It appears it really does need a different firmware type??

Comment

I was out, so stopped at home for lunch. I discovered that the folder it was trying to download to didn't exist. Created that and tried again (also redownloaded the file) with the renamed file and got this error instead:

Code:
      Current Firmware:   Manufacturer = Nortek Version: 5.8
      Click the button to choose a DIFFERENT firmware file provided by the manufacturer, to be uploaded to the device.
      To start the transfer, press the button on the unit, then press Start. The current file is: /usr/local/HomeSeer/temp/NortekBulb_5_12_-try2.hex 
      [COLOR="Red"]Error reading firmware file: Not Intel HEX file.[/COLOR]
      It appears it really does need a different firmware type??
      You're losing me... look... just download the file as is. Don't rename it. Then try flashing the bulb. If HS3 doesn't recognize it, make sure you're running the latest versions.

HS3: 3.0.0.368 (or later)
      Z-Wave Plug-in: 3.0.0.148 (beta)

FWIW: I just went to homeseer.com and downloaded the file and ran it to be sure it works. it does. the file is "NortekBulb_5_12.hec"
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
        You're losing me... look... just download the file as is. Don't rename it. Then try flashing the bulb. If HS3 doesn't recognize it, make sure you're running the latest versions.

HS3: 3.0.0.368 (or later)
        Z-Wave Plug-in: 3.0.0.148 (beta)

FWIW: I just went to homeseer.com and downloaded the file and ran it to be sure it works. it does. the file is "NortekBulb_5_12.hec"
        I did just download the file. . .and HS complains it can't handle the .hec file (filename.hec has invalid extension, only .hex are allowed). I need to read change logs and do the extensive backups before applying the latest HS3 update. I have the latest released ZWave already .130. Is the change log for the newer ZWave posted to the beta plugin page (doesn't always get there).

Thanks. Will have to wait and do some prep before I can upload the firmware it appears.

Comment

I did just download the file. . .and HS complains it can't handle the .hec file (filename.hec has invalid extension, only .hex are allowed). I need to read change logs and do the extensive backups before applying the latest HS3 update. I have the latest released ZWave already .130. Is the change log for the newer ZWave posted to the beta plugin page (doesn't always get there).

Thanks. Will have to wait and do some prep before I can upload the firmware it appears.
          You'll need to run the beta version of the Z-Wave plug-in to get it to install properly.

Comment

You'll need to run the beta version of the Z-Wave plug-in to get it to install properly.
            Hm. Okay. I didn't realize the functionality had been implemented that recently. I guess my timing is working out. So, does the HS3 version need to be at a certain version as well?

Thanks!

Comment

Hm. Okay. I didn't realize the functionality had been implemented that recently. I guess my timing is working out. So, does the HS3 version need to be at a certain version as well?

Thanks!
              the release version (130) was published on June 16th.... there have been 18 subsequent beta releases since then. If you have the most recent NON-BETA version of HS3, that should be fine.

Comment

the release version (130) was published on June 16th.... there have been 18 subsequent beta releases since then. If you have the most recent NON-BETA version of HS3, that should be fine.
                Time flies sometimes. . .I have had a lot of transitions here, so haven't been keeping up.

Still having to use a ZWave version that is newer than June 2017 is pretty recent in comparison to having these bulbs since 2014 (I have had a few since then, but got a batch in April 2017, then again more in August).

Thanks again for confirming. Looking forward to controlling the dimming speed!

Comment

Slow going, but getting all my bulbs updated. . .and they do dim very quickly now! :-)

I realized, that I have one non-LB601Z-1 bulb. . .the HomeSeer branded Domitech bulb. . .
                  HomeSeer HS-DTA19+ Z-Wave Plus Smart Bulb

Is there a firmware update for that that might support the same configuration options?

Comment

HomeSeer HS-DTA19+ Z-Wave Plus Smart Bulb

Is there a firmware update for that that might support the same configuration options?
                    Our OEM manufacturer was the same one that also made the Nortek bulbs. I assume the Nortek firmware should work on those too but I've not tested it.

Comment

Close to a dumb question but, if I were to put this in a closet with a pull cord or a table lamp with a switch, could I still just pull the cord or push the switch to make the light come on?

Or does the bulb only get activated from a z-wave controlled device, whether another zwave device or an app?

Comment

Not a dumb question.. The problem with a pull cord/ table switch is that if you turn it off there is no electricity to the bulb so when you try to use your z-wave controllers it is unable to communicate with the device until you turn the power back on via cord/switch. Mike
                        Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
                        Op System: Windows10 Pro - Work Station
                        HS Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0

Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.25,APCUPSD 3.3.2.3,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLEditor 2.0.11.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLOccupied 2.0.28.0,BLShutdown 1.0.6.0,Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206,Device History 3.2.0.2,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,iRobot 5.22.41.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.7,Nest 3.0.0.34,NetCam Plugin 1.0.0.5,PHLocation2 3.0.0.64,Pushover 4.0.10.0,Random 3.0.0.2,Restart 1.0.0.7,Ring 1.0.0.9,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.3,Sonos 3.1.0.59,Sonos4 4.0.1.12,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,UltraMon3 3.0.6554.33094,UltraNetCam3 3.0.6413.20219,Unifi 4.0.32.0,Zigbee 4.0.11.0,Z-Wave 4.0.3.0, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by MNB View Post
                          Not a dumb question.. The problem with a pull cord/ table switch is that if you turn it off there is no electricity to the bulb so when you try to use your z-wave controllers it is unable to communicate with the device until you turn the power back on via cord/switch. Mike
                          The problem is a tiny bit worse than that. If the bulb is being used as a repeating node (likely), then cutting the power from it can also cause slowdowns in the network as commands and (especially) responses may be routed through that node.

I have a few of these bulbs in pull-chain fixtures at home. I've actually removed the chains to prevent this problem from happening... and I've mounted wall controllers instead.

Comment

Our OEM manufacturer was the same one that also made the Nortek bulbs. I assume the Nortek firmware should work on those too but I've not tested it.
                            I'll try again. I tried it once. It uploaded the firmware but didn't ever install.

Comment

I'll try again. I tried it once. It uploaded the firmware but didn't ever install.
                              I aborted the process that didn't finish, cancelled it, then started again. This time it worked, so now all my bulbs are set to dim much faster, in steps of 10 (parameter 9) to complete in 1 second (parameter 10).

Thanks!

Comment

@Macromark and @MNB - so, one of these bulbs is on and I shut if off via z-wave control from HS3. Then... someone physically turns off the switch (for whatever reason), now I can't turn the light on from HS3 because the switch is off, got it. However, if the light is off from HS3 and the switch is off physically, will turning on the switch (non z-wave) make the light come on, or does it still have to be turned on via HS3 somehow?

I hope I didn't overly wordy there.

I was about to buy a bunch of these, but now I'm not so sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X