This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitoring Devices in Real Time

Many have asked for the ability to monitor HS devices in real time, rather then rely on a refresh of the web pages. Here is a sample vb.net application that lists all your devices and updates their status in real time. Feel free to modify it as you like!

This sample shows you how to do the following:

* Connect to a running instance of HS2 over the network using the host name, username, and password

* Get device status by registering for a device status change callback

* Handle callbacks from HS

HS 2.2.0.11 or later is required.
    Attached Files
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

rjh,
    At the risk of asking a really stupid question: As a user-selectable OPTION, why couldn't HS have an event(preferrably inside HS) that would trigger a refresh of the Status Page when any device on the Status page changes? Do this without changing the state of the page(ie don't make it "active" if it is not but still do the refresh-(if that's possible?)
    Thanks,
    Bob

Comment

Bob,
      I'm not sure users would like the results. Lets say you have 50-60 devices and you are sliding down to turn down the heat. If you update this page on every device change it could constantly refresh making it unusable.

Comment

Are there any instructions on how to use it for the non programming type of person.

Like me ?

I tried running hsrealtime.exe after but it doesn't quite work.

Thanks
        StevenE
        Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

For the non-programming group, this won't prove to be very useful. I suspect it is more intended to be used as an example to build off of. If you want to try it out you will need to copy the executable from the \HSRealtime\bin\release folder to a folder somewhere. In that folder you will also need to copy the Homeseer2.dll, HSUtil.dll and scheduler.dll files from the Homeseer folder. The compiled version provided, will only run on the homeseer server and your HS server must except speaker client connections without a username and password. But it really is a nice example that of what you can do with remote applications that can receive feedback from homeseer. I used something very similar in my xlobby plugin.

Comment

For a simple example, including code, of how to alert programs anywhere on your LAN of device status changes, see:

http://www.tenholder.net/tendevicestatuschange/

tenholde
            tenholde

Comment

Just copy the hsrealtime.exe file to your HS2 folder. It should work from there. If you want to run it remotely, you will need to copy the following files to the remote computer also (copy these from the HS2 folder):

scheduler.dll
              homeseer2.dll
              hs2util.dll

Comment

If I try locally or remotely I get the same message everytime.

Unable to connect to homeseer, is it running? You need to be on the same subnet as Homeseer.

StevenE
                Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  Bob,
                  I'm not sure users would like the results. Lets say you have 50-60 devices and you are sliding down to turn down the heat. If you update this page on every device change it could constantly refresh making it unusable.
                  Rupp,
                  Good point! That's why I suggested it as a "user" selectable option, like "auto refresh" is today. I've gotten pretty good at hitting "refresh" but occasionally I head off to troubleshoot a non-problem because I forgot.
                  Bob

Comment

Bob,
                    There's a setting in the HomeSeer setup to auto refresh this page.

Comment

Any C# Examples ?

Rich

This was great for me to get started with HomeSeer using VB, BUT my true love is C and I am looking at using C#. The above example in C# would be really great!!!

-Roger

Comment

There are many vb.net to C# converters on the net, just run the form file through one of those.

Comment

I have copied the hsrealtime.exe to my HS server but when i start it i get the following error:
                          Attached Files

Comment

You're right, not useful as-is.

I got it to run, but all it does is post a text style list of all my devices. Since they're more than one screen, it scrolls the screen down. It then immediately refreshes and blanks the screen while doing so, over and over and over and over, etc.

I know the UI presented by Homeseer is able to refresh only part of the page, it does it when you control a device. Getting that to happen to a device row when the device value changes, that's a different thing, I guess.

Sounds like something for AJAX, or something else Web 2.0

Thanks for posting it, however, maybe it will spark some Genius like Jon, Matthew, Blade, David, Techno-Cat, Michael, Jim, Tom, Jeff (forgive me if I left you other genius's out) to create something that is truly real-time, perhaps a list, perhaps a GUI, perhaps a floorplan, who knows....
                            Last edited by snedecor; December 21, 2007, 06:29 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Program worked ok for me. I just couldn't read the lines that were in Yellow.

Comment

Working...
                              X