Turn Light Off After x Minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Light Off After x Minutes

I have a few lights that I want to turn on when the door is opened and turn off when either the door is closed or the light has been on for a certain number of minutes. I can do all of this except for turning the lights off after a certain number of minutes. I tried the following:

1) "A Device's Value is..." -> "This device has been/for at least..." "On"
    2) "A Device's Value is..." -> "This device has been/for at least..." "On Last Level"
    3) "A Device's Value is..." -> "This device has been/for exactly..." "On"
    4) "Easy Trigger: A Device's Value is..." -> "The device's value has NOT changed for exactly..." -> "2 Minutes".

However, none of those events ever get executed. What am I doing wrong?

Btw, I also saw the threads listed below that basically create a timer to achieve what I want. However, isn't "This device has been/for at least..." supposed to do this? If not what are those for?

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176370
    https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=172120

Mulu, do you have motions on the area too? Turning lights off after x time of no motion is the best way to go if you can.

And timers are more reliable to use for stuff like this.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
      I have a few lights that I want to turn on when the door is opened and turn off when either the door is closed or the light has been on for a certain number of minutes. I can do all of this except for turning the lights off after a certain number of minutes. I tried the following:

1) "A Device's Value is..." -> "This device has been/for at least..." "On"
      2) "A Device's Value is..." -> "This device has been/for at least..." "On Last Level"
      3) "A Device's Value is..." -> "This device has been/for exactly..." "On"
      4) "Easy Trigger: A Device's Value is..." -> "The device's value has NOT changed for exactly..." -> "2 Minutes".

However, none of those events ever get executed. What am I doing wrong?

Btw, I also saw the threads listed below that basically create a timer to achieve what I want. However, isn't "This device has been/for at least..." supposed to do this? If not what are those for?

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176370
      https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=172120
      I don't see where your giving giving a specific time. after "This device has been/for at least..." you have to tell how much time.
      Hector
      MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

waynehead99, I do not have motion sensors in those rooms as they are small "rooms" like pantry, (barely) walk-in closets, linen closets, etc.

If I have to use timers then I will do so but why do those other event conditions I mentioned not work reliably (or not at all)?

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
          I don't see where your giving giving a specific time. after "This device has been/for at least..." you have to tell how much time.
          Rotech, I did set a time. I wanted to concentrate on the parts where I can select between different options. After the selections I listed there are no options anymore but the only thing you can do is set the time. Maybe I should have listed the time as well which I btw tried anywhere between 20s and 5 minutes.

Comment

These types of events work fine for me:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1191320
            Use the first one if it's an on/off switch and use the second one if it's a dimmer.

Cheers
            Al

PS The devices need to support instant status or they need to be polled frequently if they do not.
            Last edited by sparkman; June 25, 2017, 09:05 PM.
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks. Attached is what I have. I do not have the 1..On option but just a range so I set it to 1..100. I verified that the actual value is within this range (it is currently 77). Initially I didn't have the "Cannot Re-Run For" but I added that in a second test because my dimmer is slowly fading out so I thought maybe the event could be called multiple times. Hence I added the "Cannot Re-Run For". Still, it doesn't turn off.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. Attached is what I have. I do not have the 1..On option but just a range so I set it to 1..100. I verified that the actual value is within this range (it is currently 77). Initially I didn't have the "Cannot Re-Run For" but I added that in a second test because my dimmer is slowly fading out so I thought maybe the event could be called multiple times. Hence I added the "Cannot Re-Run For". Still, it doesn't turn off.

Mulu, what do you mean by "your dimmer is slowly fading out"? Are you slowly fading out the light over time, thus changing the value of the dim level? If so, this is why your event isn't working. It's constantly triggering the event and resetting your delayed timer event. The do not rerun for 10 seconds probably won't make a difference if you dim value keeps changing.
                Change your event to exactly what Sparkman has and disable other events related to that light. To disable an event without deleting it you just need to click on the check mark in the upper right hand side in the event you want to disable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                Plugin's:
                BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

The Profit, yes, the light is slowly dimming down to off. That's the default behavior of the light switch, i.e. not anything that I programmed (but I actually like it) and it takes probably less than 5s. I added the "Cannot Re-Run For" exactly for that reason so that the event does not get triggered two or more times (10s is twice as long as the approx. 5s it takes to dim so I should be safe). I don't have any other events associated with this light (except for turning it on when the door is opened but when testing I simply opened the door, which turns the light on, and then I just leave the door open).

Comment

Ok, I finally got this to work. Please see the attachment for my configuration. This is using a Cooper Wiring RF9540 with the door status tracked by a DSC 1864 panel. I have not tested scenarios of reopening the door before the light has dimmed, etc. but I tried a few time opening the door (which turns the light on) and then waiting 20+ seconds after which the light automatically turns off.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have a few lights that I want to turn on when the door is opened and turn off when either the door is closed or the light has been on for a certain number of minutes. I can do all of this except for turning the lights off after a certain number of minutes.
                      Here is how I do it on my pantry laundry room and few other small walkin rooms where door is normally closed.
                      Attached Files

Comment

integlikewhoa, this worked well for me. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                        X