Need help thinking this through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help thinking this through

I'm trying to wrap my head around a problem, and I would certainly appreciate some additional input.

I have Keypadlincs in my living room. For the sake of this example, let's say they're set as A1 through A8, sending on/off codes. I have them set to run events at the moment. A1 is labeled 'Watch DVD' and upon receiving the A1 ON command, HS issues out all the applicable IR codes to fire up the equipment needed to do that task. A1 OFF reverses the process.

This method works well until, say, you want to 'Listen to MP3s' at A6. Then you have a new set of IR sent out, without turning off all the old stuff prior.

My problem is that none of my gear apparently has descrete codes, from what I can tell. I'm able to circumvent this somewhat by using an IOLinc, but it's a bandaid on my problem here.

My thought was perhaps to script together my entire entertainment center logic and just have HS pass the House/Unit codes as variables for the script to process. That way, at least I could use internal flags to represent the state of the hardware. It's not foolproof by any means, but it's better than what I have now... I think.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

That is probably what I would do. When you press A1 On to watch a DVD, have the script set the status of the device in a virtual device. When later down the line you press A6 On to listen to MP3s, you can then use the status of the devices to know which IR commands really need to be sent.

The only gotcha on this would be someone with a remote changing the status of a device so HS never hears about it.

Comment

Originally posted by patsikes
      That is probably what I would do. When you press A1 On to watch a DVD, have the script set the status of the device in a virtual device. When later down the line you press A6 On to listen to MP3s, you can then use the status of the devices to know which IR commands really need to be sent.
      What sort of logic would I need to use in order to pull this off? Just a bunch of nested if/then statements? Surely that would be hell to code (and maintain!) for something like this. Am I missing something?

Comment

Shane,
        Is the main problem not knowing what is on or not knowing what mode the devices are in? If it's the former the a few CR magnets and a few powerflash modules can tell you if your receiver is on for example.

http://www.crmagnetics.com/
        Look at CR 3110
        http://www.crmagnetics.com/newprod/splitco.asp
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,

Don't mean to hijack this thread but:

Can I use the CR3110 for the following?

When my microwave is on it severely messes up my 2.4ghz wireless audio. What I'm hoping to do is put a 3110 on the power cord connected to a powerflash and have it kill the audio (via an appliance module) when the microwave is on. Also have it repower the audio when the microwave is off.

I read some of the threads here but I am still unclear. Is a resitor really necessary? 1000 ohm? Will this hookup send TWO signals (one for on one for off)?

Thanks,

GLT

Comment

Originally posted by glt
            Can I use the CR3110 for the following? Yes

Is a resitor really necessary? Theoretically according to their equation, with no resistor, the output voltage would be infinite. In reality, the voltage can't get above 330,000 volts . Bottom line: It may blow out the PowerFlash. But it may be fine. Measuring the voltage without the resistor is the only way to know. The PowerFlash can take up to 18 volts.

1000 ohm? 1000 ohm may be marginal for the current that a microwave may draw. Go with something near 3000 ohm.

Will this hookup send TWO signals (one for on one for off)? Yes.
            But here is the kicker. It will not work if you put all of the wires of the power cord through it. The current in one wire will cancel the current in the other wire(ignoring the ground wire). You need to split the power cord so that only one wire goes through the CR3110.
            Last edited by ; November 19, 2004, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Great answer Rocco!

Fortunately I bought a variety pack of resistors (1/2 watt?) and have some @ 2.2K and 4.7K. The microwave pulls 1000 watts.

CR3110's on order, email says "please allow 2 weeks to ship". Hope not.

Thanks,

GLT

Comment

Well, sorta

Originally posted by Rupp
                Shane,
                Is the main problem not knowing what is on or not knowing what mode the devices are in? If it's the former then a few CR magnets and a few powerflash modules can tell you if your receivehr is on for example.
                I have an IOLinc connected to RF detector for the television, a video signal detector for the VCR, and an LED detector for the processor. This helps with the status, but I've still got a DVD player, an Audiotron, and a Scientific Atlanta cable box that aren't able to be probed with these methods.

Maybe I need to dig more into the discrete commands, I guess it's possible I overlooked something. The stuff at remote central is kind of staggering, given the amount of data to sort through.

and glt, you should be ashamed - thread thief!

Comment

Shane,
                  There is no question that discrete codes are the way to go but if you do have a device that you need to know the status and you have no discrete codes for your device then these magnets are a very simple way to proceed.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

An update...

Got the CR3110's (eventually - no email response or tracking) and seperated one of the wires from the microwave power cord - hooked the CR3110 up to a powerflash and....

Works like a charm - now have an event to turn of 2.4GHZ audio when powerflash sends an on signal and back on when PF sends an off. NO more noisy buzzing speakers.

(Note: CR3110 seemed to send out about 12V AC, put a 2.2K OHM resistor on the PF terminals as advised.)

So thanks Rocco et al!

Next project - mail alert to PF - can't decide if I want to use the flashing light or the buzzer?

Thanks again!

GLT

Comment

Working...
                    X