Sonos for Linux .. and not for the faint of heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonos for Linux .. and not for the faint of heart

I'm in the final stages to test and deliver a new version of my Sonos Controller PI that should run on Windows as well as Linux.

The biggest changes are that I had to design out having to rely on the Windows UPNP.DLL COM component (and wrote my own) and change the DB support from AODB to SQLite.

This version will be version-ed release 3.1.xx whereas the current version is 3.0.xx

The changes in UPNP don't cause any compatibility issues but the new DB will make this version incompatible with the previous version. I don't think that is a big deal because the MusicDB is always an exact copy from what your players have, so just recreating it and you are good. However the second DB I have, holding the radiostations it learned will have to be "re-learned". You re-learn it by playing the stations. All else should be good, I don't think you need to recreate events or delete players etc. all else should be good to go.

This version also includes (the first steps) to support the MediaAPI. It relies on IMediaAPI_3 and I did notice that it complains when you try to run it against an older version of HS3. I'm currently on version 149 so if you want to test this PI, you should do the same.

I'm planning on posting this in the updater in the "beta" section but need to work with the HS team on figuring out how to do that.

This post is first and foremost a "feeler" post of who out there is interested in "jumping into the deep" with me?

The UPNP part has been part of the MediaController PI for many months now, so I feel quite comfortable about it. It was however just ported to the Sonos PI and I still need to fix a few issues, which should be done soon. For Linux users, here is my safe harbor statement, that I am all but expert on Linux, actually very novice, so if there are issues with the install under Linux, you will have to rely on other experts to help you out. I had to struggle through some install issues (not related to this PI though) before I had it all working. I noticed that the SQLite dll is different between Windows and Linux, I have it working, but not sure I'm doing it all right and/or end up with an installer who does things differently on Linux versus Windows.

So can I have a show of hands on who wants to test on what platform.

Dirk
    Last edited by dcorsus; December 23, 2014, 01:42 PM.

I am expecting a Play:1 for Christmas with the intention to expand to five Play:1/Play:3 units in the next couple of months. I am toying with the idea of running Linux in a future HS install so I would be happy to test it on Linux running on a Raspberry Pi (other than a VM of Linux I would have no other means of testing it), I don't know what your thoughts are running on this sort of hardware though (it is a Rev 1 Model B so only has 256MB RAM)?

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      I am expecting a Play:1 for Christmas with the intention to expand to five Play:1/Play:3 units in the next couple of months. I am toying with the idea of running Linux in a future HS install so I would be happy to test it on Linux running on a Raspberry Pi (other than a VM of Linux I would have no other means of testing it), I don't know what your thoughts are running on this sort of hardware though (it is a Rev 1 Model B so only has 256MB RAM)?
      The PI doesn't require a lot of horsepower but when it creates the musicDB, depending on how many tracks you have, I think it requires a good bit of memory. Moreover, each player has its own instance so many players require more memory. I think 256m is a problem. I run it on a 1G atom pc I had lying around. HS3 was slower than I had hoped but PI seems to be running fine.
      Hope this helps
      Dirk

Comment

As a reasonably long term user of the Windows PI I'm happy to test this new version on Windows 7.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
          Home now ....
          ran TOP on my Linux box. See two applications called "mono" which I assume is HS3 and my PI. HS3 seems to run at 75M Reserved and 169M virtualized and my PI runs at 78M reserved and 189M virtualized. Have about 10 players.

Out of the 1G of memory, 768M is in use and apart from HS3 and my PI, nothing else is running. CPU utilization around 10%

Dirk

Comment

Today I mainly use the Sonos PI for announcements and to trigger events on play/stop and a few other minor things.

I've got 9 Sonos units and run HS3 on a Win8 i5 box so should have enough horsepower.

I'm keen on starting to test the new Media API as well so I'd be more than happy to trial your beta version.
            Nicolai L

Comment

Originally posted by NicolaiL View Post
              I'm keen on starting to test the new Media API as well so I'd be more than happy to trial your beta version.
              The MediaAPI is work in progress. I added it a week or two ago, ran into a bunch of issues, briefly had some back and forth with the HS team, made some progress but then ran into radio silence.

So at this point, no MediaAPI functions

Dirk

Comment

Working...
              X