This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frequent Hub Resets Needed

After the reversion to Insteon Hub FW 1015 a few weeks ago, I've noticed that the web interface that the Insteon plugin uses stops responding very frequently -- I'm rarely able to go even a full day without needed to power-cycle the hub to get the web interface back up so that the plugin can see it.

I don't know if this is an artifact of the FW reversion, a hardware issue with my hub, or something else entirely -- but it's really annoying. My short-term problem, though, is that I'm about to head off on a week-long business trip and my wife is NOT going to be happy when stuff stops working and she can't fix it.

What I've temporarily set up is to put a Z-Wave switch on the Insteon hub and created an Alexa device that can be used to turn the hub off and on. The issue, though, is that once the plugin has given up on trying to reach the hub, the only way to get things working again is to disable the plugin then reenable it.

Is there any kind of setting in the Insteon.ini file that will let me increase the number of retries the plugin will perform before permanently giving up?

In the [Config] section I see
    NumRetries=5 and
    WaitTimeout=3

and in [Hub] I have
    GetXMLBufferInterval=2000

I don't know what the first two settings are for and I'm pretty sure the [Hub] setting is for something else.

Any suggestions?

-M.

i have this outlined in the docs with a a little detail

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=154291

shutdown the plugin, and add the following with your own setting

[Tuning]
    FailMargin=10
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply!

I found the setting description in the docs. Are there any unpleasant potential side effects if this is set to a very large number?

-M.

Comment

FailMargin is a count of the number of continuous failed comm attempts to the interface.

It does not include failures to the devices, and it resets after a successful Tx to the interface
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by MarkHargrove View Post
          Thanks for the fast reply!

I found the setting description in the docs. Are there any unpleasant potential side effects if this is set to a very large number?
          Related: Assuming the web interface is down when you start sending a command, approximately how long in real time will a setting of '10' require before the plugin gives us? I'm trying to establish a rough value for the setting that would keep trying for, say, 12 hours.

-M.

Comment

there is something else locally going on here. no one else is reporting this issue

setting it to -1 should disable it

there is no way of associating a number of Tx with a duration of time
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty much convinced myself it has to be something local -- I just don't have time to troubleshoot before I have to leave for (basically) two weeks so I'm looking for stop-gap workarounds.

I'll use the -1 setting then look at this thoroughly when I'm back from travel.

-M.

Comment

Working...
              X