• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambient Weather IP Observer Options

Hello everyone,

I am considering purchasing an ambient weather WS-1401-IP:

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1400ip.html

This weather station package uses the Ambient Weather IP Observer module (as opposed to the WiFi observer or the WeatherBridge) to publish data to Weather Underground and AmbientWeather.net

I see the UltraWeatherWU3 plugin is available to collect station data after it has been published online, I also understand that the WeatherXML plugin can likewise pull data from WeatherUnderground.

My query is whether there is a way for a HomeSeer plugin to collect data directly from the ObserverIP, or for the ObserverIP to write data locally to a csv/xml.

The objective is to eliminate the cloud service provider from the data pathway, and for the information to go directly Weather Station > ObserverIP > HomeSeer.

One of the big attractions that sold me on HomeSeer was the local processing.

Thanks for your time.

I've been looking at the same station that you mentioned.
    If you look at the manual on page 30 it shows a page called live data.
    My hope is to be able to scrape that page to get the data into weatherXML.

However some of the other observers don't have the live data page so it would be necessary to pull the data from ambients or weatherundergrounds site.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the quick reply, sounds like exactly the feature I'm looking for

I think I'll order this unit regardless, as I can't see anything that beats it on price-to-features.

If this feature comes to WeatherXML in the future then fabulous.

To clarify, I have no issue with data going out to WU or with using parallel data sources (Local + Cloud). I just like the peace of mind knowing that in the event of an internet outage, DDoS attack or WU going belly up, that the data can still be collected.

Comment

The other advantage is that if you are grabbing the data from your own observer instead of a website, you can update the data as often as you want instead of going by the limit the website API has.
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
          I've been looking at the same station that you mentioned.
          If you look at the manual on page 30 it shows a page called live data.
          My hope is to be able to scrape that page to get the data into weatherXML.

However some of the other observers don't have the live data page so it would be necessary to pull the data from ambients or weatherundergrounds site.
          Their "WeatherBridge Data Logger" soft/hardware appears to be able to both, "Support individual MySQL Database for advanced analysis." and "Send customized http data strings to your server for advanced website integration."

That seems kinda pricey, but it isn't clear to me that one can even access Wunderground or Ambient without it.....

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1...bridgekit.html
          HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
          Home Assistant 2024.3
          Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
          Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
          Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
          WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
          AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post
            Hello everyone,

I am considering purchasing an ambient weather WS-1401-IP:

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1400ip.html

I am looking at this, too, as well as WS-2902. Do you know what the major differences are between the two?

Elliott
            "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
            "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
              Their "WeatherBridge Data Logger" soft/hardware appears to be able to both, "Support individual MySQL Database for advanced analysis." and "Send customized http data strings to your server for advanced website integration."

That seems kinda pricey, but it isn't clear to me that one can even access Wunderground or Ambient without it.....

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1...bridgekit.html
              That is why I am looking at going with the WS-1401-IP. It comes with an observer device. While it won't let you do the database storage, it gives you your admin setup as an internal webpage. That is where the Live Data web page is that I was looking at using to get the data without having to grab it from a website. Station connects wirelessly to the observer, then via ethernet cable to your network.

The 2902 comes with the display console and if I am reading the manual right, the weather station connects wirelessly to the console, then the console connects to your wi-fi and sends the data out to the website.
              But there is no built in admin web pages for settings. It is done by buttons on the display console. I don't see any way to grab the data except via the internet to whichever service you send the data to.
              --
              Jeff Farmer
              HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

What do you think of the "Weather Display" software? That might make a decent "middleman" for $60.
                HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                Home Assistant 2024.3
                Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

I just got my WS-2902. So far it seems pretty nice. I need to get a better mounting system than laying on my patio table, but that's beside the point . . .

So the way I understand it, most guys are having the station go to Wunderground, and then using WeatherXML to pull my data off Wunderground?

Comment

Correct. You add your station to W Underground. It will take a few days before it will show up in the API. You will see it available via their web site a few days before you are able to select it.
                    --
                    Jeff Farmer
                    HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Working...
                    X