Rain8upb setup issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain8upb setup issues

I just recieved my Rain8upb yesterday. I connected it to the computer and assigned the zones the correct codes and such per the instructions. When I use the communication test software from WGL, I can turn the valves on and off.

It is assigned module number 30 which gave the zones ID# of 233 thru 240. I then setup placeholders in UPStart per the sintructions for UID 233 thru 240. When I open HS, the placeholders are showing in HS (codes \57 thru \64), but if I click ON or OFF, nothing happens and the log shows "UPB Retry count exceeded UPB Message transmission failed."

Am I missing something here that I should have done to get this to work?

The HS UPB plugin does not have the ability to control the Rain8UPB. If you want to control it via Homeseer then you will need the mcsSprinklers plugin and a PIM that mcsSprinklers will be able to use.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I downloaded the trial and will give it a whirl when I get home today. So, I will need a PIM that HS uses, a PIM that rain8upb uses, and a PIM that mcsSprinkler uses?

Comment

you should only need 2 pm's total - 1 for HS to control upb, and 1 for rain8upb to "tap in" to the upb. this is how the RCSupb thermostat works.

Did you try to control the rain8upb via upstart?

Ian
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

UPStart doesn't recognize the rain8upb. McSharry (developer of mcsSprinkler plugin) just posted that the rain8upb can't be controller via HS. I have seen a couple other posts that say the UPB plugin is incompatible with the rain8upb. I was wondering if anyone was working on it so it would be compatible.

Comment

Yes 3 PIMs are needed. When Jon was developing the HS UPB Plugin we discussed providing a passthrough for mcsSprinklers, but that never came to pass. The HS UPB plugin does not have the capability to send the commands to control the Rain8UPB or interpret the counter/switch values returned. Since only one application can use a COM port at a time a dedicated PIM is needed for HS Lighting and for mcsSprinklers irrigation.

Comment

Another question: Since I have HS, I should download the plugin instead of using the standalone program, correct? I have downloaded the trial program to test the program.

Comment

It can be done either way. The standalone is integrated into Homeseer using xAP protocol on the LAN. The plugin is integrated using the SDK via shared memory. With standalone your quick access is via tray icon or browser links. With plugin your access is plugin link and browser link. When using plugin then the irrigation schedule can be disturbed when HS restarts for upgrades or other plugins. When using the standalone the browser page header will be different than the Homeseer standard. The core capabilities are same no matter how it is integrated.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but can I control the rain8upb valves with mcsSprinkler standalone installation via HSTouch on my iPhone?

Comment

If you install the mcsXap Homeseer plugin and an xAP hub such as xapmcsHub then whatever you can do with the plugin version you should be able to do with the standalone. Since this is nolt the normal route used there is some risk to getting it all to play as expected. I have not used the phone interface and barely done anything with HSTouch

Comment

Oh OK. Just ordered the Professional from your web site. I sent an email to the support address wondering when I will be getting the serial number to register. I installed the trial a few days ago, but uninstalled due to maybe using the HS plugin. I decided to stay with the standalone and reinstalled and now I can't do anything because it says "Evaluation Expired due to Invalid Key." I guess it doesn't like uninstalling and then reinstalling.

Thanks for your help with this. I look forward to using your program.

Comment

For the xAP setup integration with Homeseer I suggest one of the later xAP applications such as xapmcsWebControl that has some description for it. It is at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=138892. Rather than WebControl you will setup mcsSprinklers, but it is the same from the HS perspective.

Comment

Working...
                        X