No announcement yet.

Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally have the Rain8net's which I purchased many years ago and are doing fine.

These are connected via RS-232 / Cat5 cable.

When I purchased the XTB I didn't have power line issues; I just wanted to boost the signal some; its been fine for the last 6-7 years or so.

There is propietary wireless RS-232 and "WiFi" RS-232 (think Michael mentioned the two) - so you have a couple of ways to do this.

There is also powerline ethernet that you could try if you wanted to with an ethernet based RS-232 box (but not sure how your Pool pump would effect this).

The choices are endless.

MCS Sprinklers base configuration to HW options are very flexible - IE its not like you have to buy the HW to work with the SW.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,
      Do you know if powerline eithernet would cause problems with X-10 as they are sharing the same 'bus'?

Should I go powerline eithernet, I'll need an eithernet to rs232 converter as well I suppose... right?

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I've read that powerline ethernet is better than it used to be. My experience with it was about 6 years ago and I tried an "attached" garage to the dmark location in the house and it worked fine. I have a friend whom just built a house on his farm (its the 4th house now on the farm) and I suggested that we try powerline ethernet between houses versus wireless to see if it would work. Still wanting to test; will test set up on the "farm" in the next few weeks.

You would still need an RS-232 to ethernet device.

In Europe (specifically France) my cousins are using internet from the powerlines; big thing there now (at least in France).

The powerline ethernet speeds are much better recently then when first introduced. I have not read of any x10 related issues.

I guess you could just purchase one from BB; try it out a couple of days; and if it didn't work for you then return it. If you have the resources; stick an old PC on the far end of the powerline ethernet and keep checking it for a day or two.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I use powerline ethernet at a location in AZ to connect a WebControl that is being used for outside soil moisture measurements. It has been going without any issues for about a year. I previously was using it in WA to support a wired IP camera at a location about 200 feet from the main house. I do not have X10 at the current location, but I do not recall any problems with in-house X10 when the powerline ethernet was running. The one I am using is probably 4 years old I got from Frys which I think was airlink or similiar low-end brand.

Comment

Michael,
            As you know (because you responded to a related post of mine), I am just starting out as well and purchased the WF2SL from Global Cache iTach (wifi to serial) to talk to the Rain8Net Pro2. The question is for the iTach, do I need one of the two Global Cache plugins for it to communicate or does mcSpriklers take care of all the port interfacing for it? Or do I need to do something different.
            Thanks,
            Alan

Comment

Typically a manufacturer of a IP/Serial device will provide at no cost a driver that makes the serial port visible from Windows OS just like native serial ports. The same is true of the manufacturers of the USB/Serial devices. Often these manufactures are strong on hardware, but week on software drivers so robustness may suffer using their drivers. I have no reason to suspect any issues with the drivers provided by Global Cache so there should be nothing else you will need to use it as a serial port.

With mcsSprinklers Professional it is possible to talk directly to the WF2SL with IP communications and bypass any issues associated with drivers within Windows. It also means as you later update to a new version of Windows OS you do not need to worry about new drivers being available for the new OS.

Comment

I can attest to the Global Cache W2SL working fine with mcsSprinklersP and Rain8Net and Rain8Net Pro. Check out this thread for some additional details on configuration and setup http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=147638

The nice thing about this setup, per Michaels note's, is that you don't need any additional serial-IP emulation software with Windows (running v7 32bit). Setup is a bit tricky but once done, works pretty good!

-Ray

Comment

Does anyone have experience with iHelp for the GCSL.

The app is suppose to be used to configure it, but on multiple machines, I get the messaage:

iHelp has encountered a problem and needs to close....

Robert
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                    So how does the rain8 integrate with the rainbird? or does it?
                    I'm looking into this as I moved into a house which already has a rain8 setup.
                    The unit is in the poolshed some 70 feet behind the house. I need to consider how I'm going to talk to it as well. I can't see any reason why not to consider wired x-10, but perhaps someone can suggest another way.

Any suggestions as to what I need to get started would be great. I also like the idea of tying it into current weather conditions - though, I don't have any weather station connected to my HS setup. I'm thinking it should be possible to get alot of this information from the web ???

Robert
                    Just a thought - if you can run a wire to your shed 70 feet away, why not install the Rain8Net at your house then run 70 additional feet of controller cable?? Simplifies your communications options to X10 or IP (wired or wireless).

I've run both configurations in my testing over the years. There really is no reason to replace your exsiting Rain Bird timer at the same location with a Rain8Net except to utlize the existing sprinkler valve solenoid wiring.

I originally had my Rain8Net installed in the basement next to my mcsSprinkers server and ran controller wiring from there to my sprinkler valves.....communications was then easy rs232 serial....

-Ray

Comment

Working...
                    X