• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Updates to the PULSE API Coming Soon

Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:37 PM
    Subject: New Updates to the PULSE API

Dear API User,

This is an important message regarding your API service and while no action is currently required on your part, we wanted to communicate some changes we are making to improve our service and how they will ultimately affect you.

As you may be aware, during the past 6 months, we have been having some instability in our API services. While we have made considerable reliability improvements over the past few months, we have determined that our third party API gateway vendor is unable to live up to our standards of quality. As such, we are in the process of migrating to a new service provider which uses proven technology on a highly scalable infrastructure. The migration will be seamless to your calls and will not affect your applications in any way. In addition to improved performance, we will also be introducing (at a later date) a new development portal which will provide you with usage statistics and development guides.

We anticipate that the migration cut over to our new gateway service provider will occur by the end of the year, an additional email will be sent to you prior to the switch. Again, this transition will be 100% transparent and no action will be required on your part for this migration. However, our roadmap does contemplate enhancements to the feed during the Q1/Q2 2015 time frame which will require some minor changes by you to the format of the data calls. The results formatting will remain unchanged. More information on these changes will be provided in the new year.

In anticipation of that required effort on your part and our ongoing commitment to our customers we are granting you three months of free usage on your current plan starting January 1st. This will happen automatically, no action is required from you.

If you have any questions feel free to contact us at apisupport@earthnetworks.com.

Thank you for your continued support!

Earth Networks API Team
    apisupport@earthnetworks.com
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Hi Ultra,

I noticed in another thread that after free API access is gone (soon) that it will evidently be $20/month--which is too steep for me for weather. Do you have any plans to revise this plugin to access a different service such as weatherunderground? NOAA? Maybe rename it to UltraWeather and allow us to mix and match sources?

If you don't I understand. Its probably a lot of work. But if you do I'm sure all of us loyal users would be really happy that you did--I know I would be.

I have used this plugin for years starting on HS2, and then upgrading it to the HS3 version. It has been tremendously reliable the majority of the time, and only had hiccups when HS did, or the weatherbug service or station was down.

Some clarity on your plans before the free service goes dark would really be appreciated. Thanks.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
      Hi Ultra,

I noticed in another thread that after free API access is gone (soon) that it will evidently be $20/month--which is too steep for me for weather. Do you have any plans to revise this plugin to access a different service such as weatherunderground? NOAA? Maybe rename it to UltraWeather and allow us to mix and match sources?

If you don't I understand. Its probably a lot of work. But if you do I'm sure all of us loyal users would be really happy that you did--I know I would be.

I have used this plugin for years starting on HS2, and then upgrading it to the HS3 version. It has been tremendously reliable the majority of the time, and only had hiccups when HS did, or the weatherbug service or station was down.

Some clarity on your plans before the free service goes dark would really be appreciated. Thanks.
      I have attempted to work with HomeSeer to develop a subscription based model, but they just don't have the programing resources. I would really like to continue to use WeatherBug as I have found their service to be very reliable.

I am crunching the numbers to see if I can pay for WeatherBug API access, then sell a subscription to the service for those that want to continue to use the WeatherBug plug-in.

I am also going to release UltraWeather3 HSPI that uses a different API, but that one will also require a subscription.

At this point, the challenge I have is trying to figure out how to sell a subscription without losing my shirt. I hope to have more info soon.

Regards,
      Ultrajones
      Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

My Vote: Weather Underground

I'm just now getting back into HomeSeer, doing a new setup of HomeSeer in new house...

Bought all new plug-ins for HS3 that I had used in HS2, only to find this one is now bad again... I think I recall this happening multiple times with WeatherBug.

My vote would have to be something that is not a constant suck on wallet (subscription) on the user base... something that can pull from a weather station in our own backyard and/or a neighbor within the same development. Weather Underground has offered this for quite some time.

If WeatherBug is going to charge $20 a month for a wallet sucking API subscription... I can buy a professional weather station, have payback in 12-14 months, and also add another contributing sensor to the WeatherUnderground network.
        http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/overview.asp

Just need an easy method to access mine and/or closest via HomeSeer.

Chad

Comment

Working...
        X