VPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPN

I have been reading about VPN on this forum for quite some time, what is the best method to access via VPN my computer home. I have a windows 10 computer with a Verizon router. The access would need to be relatively fast and the monitor at home clear. With my past experience while doing VPN the monitor size is always the bigger issue. I like logmein or teamwork but I was concerned about the hacking going on lately.

Thanks Aldo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

@Aldo,

You would need to be able to run a vpn server on your network.

Today I utilize a combo Verizon FIOS router on Frontier. I only utilize the STB connected boxes to it. Wireless is separate.

I have nothing against the Verizon FIOS router other than a statement that it is a piece of crap and now with the Frontier ISP switch probably going to go back to Comcast in FL.

I have only had a couple of issues with my CC ISP connection. I just do not call them for anything here. (best way to deal with any ISP these days).

Such that in your case I would bridge one port or not to a VPN server on your network using the existing Verizon router (whatever flavor it is) and the direct VPN client connection to your VPN server would allow access to any device on your network.

I utilize CC in the midwest with last Motorola modem plugged in to my PFSense firewall.

Modem ISP #1 ==> PFSense
    Modem ISP #2 ==> PFSense

PFSense = ISP failover or loadbalancing ==> 4 internet networks inside

VPN to any of the internal network per profile.

All of the internet stuff is network bridged to another firewall which runs a VPN server. (flashed OS)

You can purchase an off the shelf router with said features (I have an old Linksys router here that does VPN).

Recommended from googling are off the shelf routers which you can flash with DD-WRT, OpenWRT or Tomato.

You could also go to using a Mikrotik combo router (ask mike - mikaluch about this)

You can today purchase a micro router (like a TP-Link travel router) and replace the stock OS with an OpenWRT OS running a VPN server for less than $20 and use this device for VPN.

Doing VPN this way you can leave your stock router alone and VPN from the internet to your VPN router and get to everything on your network. Speed will depend on your up / download speeds.

You can also install a VPN server on your WIndows 10 Homeseer box. I wouldn't do this though.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Agree with Pete. He has suggested what is probably the easiest way to get that done. In my setup, my L2TP over IPSec VPN server runs on a Synology NAS. I can securely access my home LAN from anywhere I have an internet connection.

I don't know your level of knowledge, so forgive me if this too basic, but here are a couple of tips that might save you some trouble:
      • You need get some kind of VPN server. Your options are many, and include installing VPN server software on your desktop, getting a new main home router with built-in VPN capabilities, or eBaying a cheapo router that is compatible with DD-WRT or OpenWRT firmware and setting it up as a VPN server.
      • Go with L2TP over IPSec as the protocol. PPTP is outdated and OpenVPN is more difficult to set up and requires third-party client software on Android and iOS.
      • Dynamic DNS. You probably have a dynamic IP address, so you'll need to use a dynamic DNS service. You configure your router to send your IP Address to the dynamic DNS service, which then points it at your domain name. I use NameCheap for this but there are a lot of options.
      • If you set up a separate VPN server machine, you will need to forward the ports for the VPN protocol to the VPN server. This is a setting in your main router's administration screens.
      • If you have a firewall, remember to open the ports for whatever VPN protocol you use.
      • If you've never done it before, be patient and use Google. When you start working with subnets and dynamic DNS and encryption protocols things can get complicated quickly.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Relating to Dynamic DNS here utilize No-Ip dot com for multiple locations.

Currently like using my PFSense firewall (BSD and free) because I can test (tinker) all sorts of stuff with it. You can though purchase an off the shelf PFSense firewall and pay the folks there to keep it updated, configured and backed up. My custom PFSense box is using the two built in Intel GB NICs plus two 4 port Intel Gb cards for a total of 10 NICs (I do not utilize them all today though).

The GUI for PFSense is simple and the default off the shelf configuration is plug n play.

The GUI for custom flashed routers is also very plug n play (OpenWRT, DD-WRT and Tomato). Cheapest simple set up is a customized microrouter with two NICs and wireless and a OpenWRT OS on it. I have one running that is about 1.5" square with an RTC clock in it. You can put it anywhere on your home network and configure one port for VPN server and the other port for your network (and wireless) and just open up your main firewall VPN access to the device.

Personally the single VPN server appliance would be something to consider such that you do not horse around with your current firewall or any PCs on your network. It would be a simple cheap drop in VPN server. IE: no PC required and < $20 in cost.

Attached are pictures of some hardware firewalls (with VPN).
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Pete; August 15, 2016, 06:36 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
        X