Electric Water heater Recomendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Water heater Recomendation

Looking for feedback on Makes Models on Electric Water Heater.
    Recommend, Avoid, Feedback.

Looking for:
    WiFi or Zwave
    Homeseer Integration
    Report Power, current utilization, and total.
    Remote temp, and On-Off control
    Does not report out to someones cloud, just to Homeseer DB, or local subnet software.

Anyone have any experience with them?

I know none with the wi-fi and such but the best electric water heater on the market is the Stiebel Eltron Heat pump.

http://www.stiebel-eltron-usa.com/pr...-water-heaters

You might have to cobble together the rest.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Looking into it deeper. - Stiebel

It seems questionable. When I looked before the reviews put them at very poor performing.

The tankless and point of use mini systems seem to be their forte, but most comments put them as very efficient but poor at producing hot water. Same seems to be true for the heat pump systems. They seem to be leaders at green efficiency, but fall short on the core purpose of a heater.

I should add one implied requirement and that is it can create large quantities very hot water for the whole house. That is in fact the reason I am putting in a new system.

Do you have any yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

If you have a large family, you like long showers, or you just find you run out of hot water you may wish to consider tankless.

For tankless you'll want to determine your water demand as well as the typical incoming water temperature. Tankless heaters provide X gallons per minute with a delta of Y. Y being how many degrees the incoming water temperature can be raised for a desired flow rate. If you're incoming water temperature is low because you live in a northern climate or you gpm demand is too high an electric tankless may not be a good fit for you. Electric has a lower delta at higher gpm's than gas does.

Tankless units also have a flow rate threshold before they start heating water and will cut off if the gpm falls too low. I have no idea how electric tankless units minimum and cut off flow rates compare to gas. Hitting that threshold is only a concern if you're at a sink; however typically you just turn the hot water on high till the water has moved from the hot water heater to that tap then lower the flow to your desired rate.

I've heard tankless units called 'instant'. Remember the water still has to travel from the central hot water heater to the fixture. Couple of caveats here; point of service tankless units would be nearly instant and a recirculating pump would keep warm water in the line at all times.

A water heater tank will work just fine in a power outage, at least until you exhaust the current tanks volume of hot water. Tankless would require some sort of backup if power outages are a concern for you.

There are some hybrid tank/tankless systems that let you have the best of both worlds, and if you're stuck with electric only in a northern climate may be a good option for you by mitigating some of the delta and flow rate problems. I have no experience with these however.

A gas water heater would need a gas line, venting, and likely a condensate drain; not to mention they are more expensive to purchase vs an electric model.

I have a Navien NPE-240A natural gas tankless unit. It can serve in a commercial setting and we're very happy with it. Granted there are just two of us and we live in Texas. But I am fond of taking rather long showers which would easily drain our old water heater tank. Running two simultaneous rather high flow showers doesn't tax our system nor do I hesitate to start a load of laundry and hop in the shower.
          HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
          Number of Devices: 1005
          Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by Stubborn View Post
            Looking for feedback on Makes Models on Electric Water Heater.
            Recommend, Avoid, Feedback.

Looking for:
            WiFi or Zwave
            Homeseer Integration
            Report Power, current utilization, and total.
            Remote temp, and On-Off control
            Does not report out to someones cloud, just to Homeseer DB, or local subnet software.

Anyone have any experience with them?
            As others have noted, nobody makes such an animal.... So, let me propose a "Plan B." My entire experience with water heaters had been with electric tank type water heaters, until the last three years. We installed a gas fired on-demand (Rinnai) unit and, given that experience, I will never own another tank type unit.

It comes with a remoted temp/on-off control and you can probably find a z-wave gas consumption unit. Electrical power usage is negligible at 110V, powering the igniter and control circuitry.
            HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
            Home Assistant 2024.3
            Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
            Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
            Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
            WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
            AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Some more reading material:
              https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=179465
              P.S. Still very happy with my Eco27!
              All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Working...
              X